Cargo delivery / route setup

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
dankos

Cargo delivery / route setup

Post by dankos » Fri May 30, 2008 3:08 pm

I cannot figure out the following:

For example, I can bring cole to 2 cities B and C. I set up a new train route. A, B and C are directly connected. In this e.g. station C has the steel factory and I am the owner!

I begin with the cole mine at point A (inserted at line nr.1), and let’s say I can hang on 8 carts.

Then, I want to drop 4 loads on station B and the other 4 loads on station C. So I insert in line nr.2 4 loads and 4 loads on line nr.3.

It begins driving to station B with 8 loads, then drops 4 loads(autom.) here and put on 4 loads also here(sometimes it does not unloads, but the amount of loads stays with the train). The trains continue to drive to station C with the last 4 loads. Its unloads then my train set up to bring the steel to station D drives with emty carts.... With others word, it does not convert cole in to steel.

What I am doing wrong?

Can you please explain me how to use more than 2 lines, because setting up a route with two lines I understand.

Regards,
Daniel
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Star Ranger4

Re: Cargo delivery / route setup

Post by Star Ranger4 » Fri May 30, 2008 5:31 pm

eh?

Not sure what your trying to do from your description. Its not your english per sey... its better than most americans, but rather your description of what is happening.

Ok, you have your rail line going from A to B to C. We know that A is a coal mine and C is a steel mill. Whats in B? that affects whats going on bigtime...

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:08 pm

Let's see if I understand this.....

Location A: Coal Mine

Location B: Some Industry needing Coal

Location C: Steel Plant

You want to load 8 cars at A, drop 4 of them off at B and the other 4 at C, then go back and do it again.

Multiple problems.....What at B needs the Coal? Also, if a station needs a Good, in this case Coal, it will take ALL of the available carloads, even if you tell the train to only drop off 4. This may be the reason you are not getting any Steel, Station B takes all of the Coal and Station C gets nothing.

There are a couple of ways to solve this. First, load 4 cars at A, take them to B, which will unload them (you don't have to remove the cars from the train, it will unload the cars and let you keep the empties) go back to A, load the 4 cars again and then go to C and unload them. Second, if there is enough distance for the Coal Mine to refill itself, take 8 cars from A, take them to B, come back to A and load up, then go to C and back to A to start again. A number like 5 or 6 might be better if B and C are to close.

If you are real goo at it you can do 2 tracks, one going from A to B and the other A to C and run 2 trains. If the A to C goes thru B, start the second train from A when the first train is loading at A, otherwise they may both end up on the same track.

I think the reason you were getting no Steel is because B was taking all 8 cars of Coal. Watch the train and I think you'll see the other 4 cars empty at B.

I hope all of this helps, and welcome to the forum!...I hope we can further confuse you...I mean :roll: help you in the future! :mrgreen:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dankos

Post by dankos » Fri May 30, 2008 7:03 pm

Snoopy: Yes you explained it correctly its clear now for me. City B is taking it all.

Can you please explain how to make the route in the setup line (1 till 10) where you select the amount of carts at a particular city. The route like you suggest: 4xA>B, 0xB>A, 4xA>C. I assume this setup is possible with 1 train, right! BTW, what is better, making an extra track directly from A>C, besides the A>B.

When do I use the lines 1 till 10???

Starranger: it is like snoopy says, btw thanks for the compliment about spelling, we good at that in holland, less in trains simms :-)

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm

About the only time I've ever used all 10 lines is when I run a Passenger/Mail train thru 10 cities. Maybe in a few complicated freight lines.....

As to the way to run the tracks thru A,B and C.... If A,B,C is pretty much a straight line, go A,B,C to go from A to C. If they are not in line, go whichever way you want.

As to "Can you please explain how to make the route in the setup line (1 till 10) where you select the amount of carts at a particular city.", can you give me a bit better expanation? I just pay attention to the map when I create trains, not the lines 1 to 10.

Also, do not delete cars when you plan on running the same thing. I have loaded 4 cars of Grain at the farm, go on to the Cattle Ranch and loaded 4 cars of Cattle, unloaded them both at the City and kept all of the empties when i went back for more Grain. When the train has unloaded the Goods, it has to take time to get rid of the cars. When it then picks up that same Good again, it has to take time to put the cars on the train, then fill them. Watch a train set up your way, then one set up as I explained it. You will see the time difference.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....