Quick Question about Medals..

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
BlackNRedGT

Quick Question about Medals..

Post by BlackNRedGT » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:58 pm

Is the game supposed to say anything when you win or lose one or all the medals?? If I win everything is does not say anything and I just have to retire. I seem to remember playing a torrent of the game and it would tell you when you have achieved everything. Well I went out and bought the game and now it does not say c**p. Also, I had to manually enter my settings in the .ini file just to run the game. Ive noticed some other glitches but from reading the forum they are common. Also, when picking a map should it say if I have already completed that map or is this just a open sim game with no reward for winning?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:53 pm

If by 'say' you are looking for speech, no, I do believe the only speech is the conductor.

Most of the settings can be done in the opening screen and during the map playing by going into 'Options'. Some of these options, while lowering the quality of play, will allow you to play some of the larger maps.

And no, it does not keep track of maps you have played.

If you do a web search for upgrading it (other than the Firaxis site) to the latest version, you can find fixes to deal with some of the problems.

and welcome to the forum. I hope we can help you here.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Howie

Post by Howie » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:58 pm

I agree with BlackNRedGT in what he says. How do you know if you have won a scenario? Buy seeing if all the boxes have the green check mark in it? Then what do you do? Look to see if you made President after you retire. If you play on an easy setting you can do all that real quick.

I've played all of the Railroad Tycoon games and to be honest Railroads is exactly the same, except for the fact that you can't go back and look at how you did and what medal you earned. It doesn't give you much incentive to go any further after you get all the boxes checked off... :?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:53 am

There is always something else to do. How many Industries did you own? How much money did you make? What was the date when you got all the Victory Conditions checked?

Then there are the levels of play, have you tried the hardest and still made the Victory Conditions? Then you can play against 1, 2 or 3 AIs and try to get all the Victory Conditions AND buy them all out. And if the positions are not set for the Annexes and Industries, there are a different number of them in different places each time you play.

It can be fun if you want it to be......

BlackNRedGT

Post by BlackNRedGT » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:34 am

I think there is just not much replay value without rewards. Exp when you have to retire on your own. I get president everytime regardless of what I put for the AI. I love the game but after playing all the maps there is nothing to do. It would be nice it you could earn something like in RT3

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:56 pm

BlackNRedGT wrote:I think there is just not much replay value without rewards. Exp when you have to retire on your own. I get president everytime regardless of what I put for the AI. ...
Just use a little imagination. As Snoopy says, "There is always something else to do."
Play on hardest Difficulty (anything else, you're just fooling yourself).
Play diff. numbers of AI.
And get rid of your money before retiring!

Score
Sick of ending the game as a lowly Snake Oil Peddler? Ready to move up to the Oval Office? Below is a description of what each part of your score means and how to make it higher.

Score Type
Net Worth Score -
Calculated from your net worth and the time period. A $7 million dollar net worth will earn you more points in 1865 than 1965.

Objective Score - You receive 2 points per objective completed, two for completing all the objectives in an era and five for completing all the objectives in all the eras.

Prestige Score - Any time your company gains some fame, you earn prestige points. Every speed record shattered, patent purchased, industry owned, business bought-out and special delivery sent earns more prestige points.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
For a more representative Score, get rid of your money before retiring. Then your Score will be based on Accomplishments and actually mean something; it's just too easy to accumulate mega-bucks!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm

keotaman wrote: ----------------------------------------------------------------------
For a more representative Score, get rid of your money before retiring. Then your Score will be based on Accomplishments and actually mean something; it's just too easy to accumulate mega-bucks!
I can't agree with you more there. I get a few trains running and I go lay some track(I don't pause the game while doing this) and I look up and the money is judt pouring in. I buy Industries before I lay track to them and don't worry about Bridges and Tunnels. I lay sidings to get 3 or 4 trains doing the same job.
T think waht may be needed is to raise the cost of engines and the maintanence cost. The GP-38 Heritage I + GP-7 WStripe costs a measly $300,000. Heck, 1 or 2 train load of Goods can bget you that, and the maintanence is only $8,000. I've mentioned it before that a Diesel today costs $ 1.7 million. I think we need to make some adjustments. Play a few times on a map that has loads of Deisels and Dual Deisels and see how much money is available and what it would take to have to make an effort to be able to buy one. And jack the steam engines up a bit too, along with the maintanence on them all.

If someone does get into doing this, make them Building Blocks and post them so others may do it.