Steel plant and war factory in same city

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
paul9393

Steel plant and war factory in same city

Post by paul9393 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:16 pm

I have a steel factory which is profitable and a war factory which is not using the steel...I seem to remember this having worked in other games...what am I doing wrong?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 pm

I just tried to do this on a map, making steel and running it out to a Swine Farm and back. The steel just kept going back and forth with no decrease in the Steel in the City and no Automobiles made. All you can do is build a War Factory in another City.
Sometimes Mappers set up Industries like this, and sometime the game sets up Industries like this if they are not placed by the Mapper.

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:42 am

Yeah, I'm a newbie and I learned that the hard way. the game is set up to deliver the goods. Period. So even if the goods can be used in the same city, nope, you need to haul them somewhere. That and dont EVER leave a carload of goods anywhere but at your destination, or it vanishes into the eather...

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:42 am

Ya, it's a problem. I see it as a glitch as I haven't seen this problem with any other resource. To avoid this, simply follow this rule:
Never build a war factory in a city that already has a steel factory.

Good Luck.

-Bob the Lunatic

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:34 pm

No, this is not a glitch.

As Mr Droid was trying to defend in the leaching thread, the game is all about shipping goods from point a to point b as efficiently as possible. what this means is that if you have a steel industry and a war plant in the same city the game will NOT "pipe" the output from the steel mill into the war plant. Nor should you be able to as this would give someone who has ownership of both in the same city a major financial advatage.

Instead if you find a situation like this you are going to have to ship the steel somewhere else to be turned into other goods, and to bring in steel from another mill to be turned into arms.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Star Ranger4 wrote: Instead if you find a situation like this you are going to have to ship the steel somewhere else to be turned into other goods, and to bring in steel from another mill to be turned into arms.
Now this is one I haven't looked into, that I recall. Will this actually work? Have you been able to do it? I'm not doubting you, many things are possible in this game, normal and abnormal, correct and incorrect, as I said, I just don't recall doing it...... Old brain or overworked brian??? :shock:

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:26 pm

This works fine, it is what Red Knight called a ping-pong setup, where a steel train runs payloads both ways, as long as there is a steel producer and a steel user in both towns. Highly profitable, if you can set it up. :P

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:31 pm

Thanks, I'll remember that.

Sometimes I think we need to start a non-discussion thread with just things like that that are proved by 3 or more people. Call it an "Online Manual". :idea:

(the 3 or more people thing is just to verify that it's not a fluke, and that the exact nature of it is fully understood)

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:53 pm

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:37 pm

Thanks. That showed me a place to drift off to when I get to deep into the things I'm doing to where I start seeing double :shock: .

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:22 am

Star Ranger4 wrote:No, this is not a glitch.

As Mr Droid was trying to defend in the leaching thread, the game is all about shipping goods from point a to point b as efficiently as possible. what this means is that if you have a steel industry and a war plant in the same city the game will NOT "pipe" the output from the steel mill into the war plant. Nor should you be able to as this would give someone who has ownership of both in the same city a major financial advatage.

Instead if you find a situation like this you are going to have to ship the steel somewhere else to be turned into other goods, and to bring in steel from another mill to be turned into arms.
Hi Star,

One of us is confused, either I'm not following you or vice versa.

But to clarify: I'm not talking about shipping steel from city A to city A.
No, what we mean is this: Picture city A has a steel mill, city B has both a steel mill AND a war factory, when you ship steel FROM city A to city B, the steel from city A WILL NOT unload in city B. So I do think it is a glitch, it IS shipped/coming from a different city. But b/c the destination point also has a steel mill.....the game thinks it cannot unload apparently.
-Bob the Lunatic

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:25 am

karsten wrote:This works fine, it is what Red Knight called a ping-pong setup, where a steel train runs payloads both ways, as long as there is a steel producer and a steel user in both towns. Highly profitable, if you can set it up. :P
That's all fine and great unless both towns don't actually use the steel mills. I don't want to build 2 war factories to get ONE rolling. Maybe I'm missing something but it still seems like a glitch. If someone knows a way to make it work where you have steel mill in city A >-------------------> war factory in city B which also has steel mill. Let me know.
-Bob the Lunatic

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:50 pm

Well, I gave this a test. First, classic pingpong with steel, worked fine. Then
If someone knows a way to make it work where you have steel mill in city A >-------------------> war factory in city B which also has steel mill.
So I had a steel mill in B, one in A and a War Factory in A. Works fine. Steel gets hauled and paid. Of course, you don't get paid to haul arms from A unless there is demand somewhere, but I assume that is not the problem.

They say a good picture is worth a thousand words. So why don't you post a picture where this problem of yours is occurring?
Attachments
Steel test 02.jpg
Steel test 02.jpg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 12329 times
PingPong 01.jpg
PingPong 01.jpg (177.35 KiB) Viewed 12330 times

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:34 pm

I'll put one up if and when it happens again, I've seen it a handful of times.

That bird's eye shot is nice, how do you get that view? I only know how to rotate I guess.
-Bob the Lunatic

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:26 pm

darthdroid wrote: But to clarify: I'm not talking about shipping steel from city A to city A.
No, what we mean is this: Picture city A has a steel mill, city B has both a steel mill AND a war factory, when you ship steel FROM city A to city B, the steel from city A WILL NOT unload in city B. So I do think it is a glitch, it IS shipped/coming from a different city. But b/c the destination point also has a steel mill.....the game thinks it cannot unload apparently.
I bet I know what has happened there; but let me run a question by you first.

Are you PRODUCING steel at both mills? If so, what has happened is, the train loaded up with steel at city a, delivered it to city b, and then PICKED UP the steel produced in city B! So, when the train gets BACK to city A, it cant pick up more goods because the cars are allready filled with City B steel. And when the train gets back to city b, it cant unload them for use at the arms mill because city B steel cant be sold to the city b arms factory....