Blacked out stations for no reason! Screenshot inside.

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
BOrange

Blacked out stations for no reason! Screenshot inside.

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:44 pm

Hi all. I'm new to Railroads, and have been fiddling with it for a few days. It's somewhat addicting, but I cant play it while drunk, I find (station routing is very difficult under the influence of gin).

Anyhoo, I run into this problem of stations being blacked out for no good reason. Here's a shot I took right at the begining of a game. One track, one engine, all stations clear, no double tracks or interfereing AI players, no nothing.

Track goes Bishop Oil, Bishop Station, Bishop Meat, Bullhead Meat, and then Bullhead. I wanted it to get oil from B.Oil to drop at Bishop, then pick up a full load of meat from B.Meat and BH.Meat to drop at Bishop. Later on, I would expand to deliver Manufactured goods and food to Vegas.

But in my very logical line of progression, it's blacking out BH.Meat and Bullhead. What the hell?

I'm on the Steram version of Railroads. All drivers are up to date. This is a frequent occurance. I've tried restarting. What is going on?

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Check your track. If it's not hooked up right or there is no station it will do this.

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:56 pm

It's one constant row of track. What does 'hooked up right' mean?

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Here it is again. Different situation.

Trying to get ore to Tenchapi, then gold to LA. But LA is blacked out, yet San Diego and the anexes down the row are not!

Here's what LA looks like.

Here's what the track from Tenchapi to LA looks like.

I see no issues. Why does the routing screen seem to have problems?

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:19 pm

Upload the saved game, and I can look at it.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:06 pm

When you speak of drivers, are you talking about computer drivers or the updates for the game. I do believe that you had to have the latest version to run more than one track thru a city unless you had a Terminal in place, a Depot won't do it.

The last Patch is 1.1. If this is the case you can download it at the website, http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html.

As I look deeper into the picture, I don't see the paved station track, so I do think this is your problem.

And welcome to the forum. If you think you like this game now, 'You ain't seen nuttin yet' :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:11 pm

How do I pave it? And I'm on STEAM, all the updates are auto-downloaded. I'm on 1.1.0.0

See, the thing is, OTHER trains on other lines are doing just fine stopping at the station.

Where can I upload this file to? Does it need to be zipped to attach in here?

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:16 pm

Can you download this? It's a ZIP.
Attachments
Examp.zip
(1.16 MiB) Downloaded 364 times

keotaman

Blacked-Out Stations

Post by keotaman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:22 pm

BOrange wrote:Here it is again. Different situation.

Trying to get ore to Tenchapi, then gold to LA. But LA is blacked out, yet San Diego and the anexes down the row are not! ...
I think I see your problem.
In LA, although your depot has 2 tracks, your through routes don't connect to them - see the track-end signs? I believe your depot tracks are underneath. Or, they connect, but at a point past the "building" part of the depot, it looks that way in the picture (see attached). The depot "terminal tracks" are actually active only near the depot building, although they will look much longer (cement look to active tracks at depots). If you were to run a train from the Annexes near SD, you could probably go to LA but no further.

This is a track-laying problem. To fix, you will have to re-lay some tracks.
I would suggest removing all connections to your depot tracks, if they look good, then make new connections.
Some tips here: http://www.hookedgamers.com/wiki/Sid_Me ... s%21:Track
Read the sections on single track laying, and ragged ends.

Basically, lay a single track to near your city's "green circle", then another track span from there to the other side of circle. Build a depot near the middle of that circle. Now you can go back and "double-track" a section from one edge of the building to the other. Then connect that second depot track to your through track & it should work.

You can PM me if you wish.
Keo

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:29 pm

Here is the fixed save. I just took away one track in LA, and re layed the track. :)
Attachments
ss_save.zip
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 344 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:31 pm

With San Diego at the top of your screen, pan down deeply into LA. If you look closely, under the towers you'll see the paved track. If you click on the track below it, it will include it. Click on the track above it, it won't. You can also click on just the paved track and no other track will highlite.

What has happened is that when you extended the track, your 'courser' was yellow, so the strack went right over the station track. It has to be green in order for it to work correctly. At this point you would have to delete your engines and redo the track.

The 'paved' track will come in normally since you have the latest patch.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:39 pm

dwax wrote:Here is the fixed save. I just took away one track in LA, and re layed the track. :)
Your savegame makes the game crash. :P

I'll try the fixes you reccomended, but here's where I'm still confused. I can still access the track when coming from OTHER stations and anexes. It's just when I try to go from one particular place, that the station blacks out. Why is this?

BOrange

Post by BOrange » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:50 pm

Homygod.

THE FIRST PEICE OF TRACK GIVEN TO ME IN THE GAME IS NOT PAVED STATION TRACK.

Is this a bug?

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:51 pm

Sorry about the save game, I have mine modified. :lol: If you can't access some tracks, double check them.There is always error on us. :)

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:54 pm

BOrange wrote:Homygod.

THE FIRST PEICE OF TRACK GIVEN TO ME IN THE GAME IS NOT PAVED STATION TRACK.

Is this a bug?
Just a minor one, quite often happens & usually corrects later on.
I download your saved game & looked -- sure enough, your depot "loading tracks" were underneath the through tracks (that yellow cursor problem mentioned above), plus they were extremely short. Your track from the North connects to the South end of your depot track, so when you get to LA you are already past the depot!

You also have a problem with the West depot track at San Diego, it does not connect to anything at the South end, just goes underneath the bridge.

Gotta be careful with the track laying; it's not difficult, just tricky at times.
Keo