Modifying files to add dual engines

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
snoopy55

Modifying files to add dual engines

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:27 pm

Dwax, and any others - let's see if I can walk you thru Lowells change. I'll be working with GLOBALS here. It would be best if you were to use Notepad++. If you're not sure of yourself, create a folder somewhere on your HD, giving it a label and copy any files you are going to play with to there. If you make an error, you have a backup to go to.

You'll need to open the forum to page 7 of Arizona Gold V2.2 under Railroads! Mods - Maps

1st, open RRT_Trains.xml and go to the bottom of it. I can't say what you have there, but it's the last line we need to look at, </RRTTrains>. Go into the forum and highlite and copy the first section Lowell has done, RRT_Trains.xml. Now, back in your RRT_Trains.xml, go to the left of </RRTTrains>, right click and 'paste'. It should show what you just copied with </RRTTrains> attached to the end of the last line. Your cursor should be between the 2 arrows ( >< )so hit 'Enter'. Now save this.

For the 2nd one open RRT_TrainCars.xml and go to the bottom. Here your last 3 lines will be this:

</TenderCar>
</RRTTenderCars>
</RRTTrainCars>

Go into the same page of the forum and highlite and copy the second section Lowell has done, RRT_TrainCars.xml. Now go to the far left of </RRTTenderCars>, right click and 'paste'. Now it should show what you copied with </RRTTenderCars> at the end of the line. Your cursor should now be between the 2 arrows, so hit 'Enter'. Now save this.

For the 3rd one copy the third section from Lowells post. Open Names_XXX.xml (XXX being you language) and find <RRTTrains>. Now 1 line under this you will find <TextKey>. Put your cursor at the far left of this line, right click and 'paste'. Again, your cursor should be at the end of what you just pasted, so hit 'Enter' and save this.

Now for the part you've all been waiting for, how to put this into every map you have..... But hey, our time is up for this week, class dismissed........

Just kidding. When your done laughing....... Open Wordpad and go to the first section of code that Lowell did for the engines you're working on. Highlite and copy the first 3 lines, then paste them into Wordpad. Now add as the fourth line </Train>. It should look like this for the P5 Dual:

<Train>
<szName>TAG_NAME_P5_DUAL</szName>
<Year>1925</Year>
</Train>

Open the folder of the map you wish to change and open the RRT_Trains XML for that map. go to the bottom and find </RRTTrains>. Highlite and copy the 4 lines from Wordpad and place your cursor to the left of that line, left click, right click and 'paste'. At this time you can change the date to whatever you want. Save the file.

You should now have the added engines in your map.

If something was not made clear, let me know. If it didn't work, ZIP the 4 files we played with here and I'll find the error. It may be from my end.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Slappy Da Clown

hey Snoop

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi Snoop

Would you edit the above post to include a link when you say " go to the forum " ? It says that 2 or 3 times but I cant remember where in the forum that was. Sorry to be so much trouble.
Slappy Da Clown
Dell Dimension 8400
Disk C: 118 GB Available, 145 GB Total
3GB Memory
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Series GPU

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:30 pm

Slappy - As usual I've forgotten how I did that the last (and probally only) time I managed to do it. I added a reference to the MOD, Map name and page. I also noted some errors is his folder addresses and corrected them.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....