Why are certain terminals unable to be delivered to?

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
Stinkfinger

Why are certain terminals unable to be delivered to?

Post by Stinkfinger » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:41 am

I'm playing the easiest scenario to help me learn the game. There's a problem though. I build a track from LA to San Diego to run passengers and mail between the two of them exclusively. However, when I go to the routing screen it lets me choose to start the route at either of them, but won't let me deliver to the other. The other station is blacked out. For the life of me I can't figure out why this is. Any ideas?

Choo-Choo

Post by Choo-Choo » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:49 am

1 make sure u have a depot at both ends
2 make sure your track is a clean run to both nothing blocking it. check the direcion of your tracks and make sure its a clean route. Like for example if your route cuts across another track u have to pick up that route later down the track kinda like making an S bend. Also sometimes if ur trying to deliver goods the village /town/city/metro doesnt ask for it will black out but most times its cause your track layout is wrong.

hope that helps ya.

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:45 am

Also, make sure that you don't have too many tracks running through the station. Depots and Stations can take three tracks, Terminals can take four. Any additional tracks can't stop at that city.

Stinkfinger

Post by Stinkfinger » Mon Mar 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Hm. I guess I don't know what the problem would be then. The suggestions you two make really don't apply to what's happening.

This is basically at the beginning of the game when there's almost no track laid. Both LA and SD have stations, the track between the two is a straight shot, and I want to run a dedicated passenger/mail train. If I choose to start the train in LA I can't choose SD as a destination and vice versa. They both want passengers and mail but it just won't work for some reason.

This happened earlier in the game too. I was trying to run grapes from a vinyard to a wine making city (this was a dedicated freight train that also hauls oil and cattle), and although the cities were right next to one another I couldn't choose the wine making city as a destination, it was blacked out too.

I'm flummoxed, why won't these destinations let me choose them?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:54 pm

When you have this happen again, do a game save and upload it with the locations you're speaking of noyed.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

waxisthebest1

Post by waxisthebest1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:04 pm

Stinkfinger wrote:Hm. I guess I don't know what the problem would be then. The suggestions you two make really don't apply to what's happening.

This is basically at the beginning of the game when there's almost no track laid. Both LA and SD have stations, the track between the two is a straight shot, and I want to run a dedicated passenger/mail train. If I choose to start the train in LA I can't choose SD as a destination and vice versa. They both want passengers and mail but it just won't work for some reason.

This happened earlier in the game too. I was trying to run grapes from a vinyard to a wine making city (this was a dedicated freight train that also hauls oil and cattle), and although the cities were right next to one another I couldn't choose the wine making city as a destination, it was blacked out too.

I'm flummoxed, why won't these destinations let me choose them?
I'm not trying to be funny, but sometimes the most basic things get overlooked.

When you are building track from one city to another, you have to build your own stations at the destination. You could probably build a track to another player's station/depot, but the track itself will not connect because it is not yours. Each station that you use, has to be built by YOU.

Another thing could be how you are buidling the track. Let's say you build track from LA to SD. You lay down one track, build station, then add double track.

snoopy55

Re: Why are certain terminals unable to be delivered to?

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:26 pm

Stinkfinger wrote:The other station is blacked out.
This shows that he does have his own station.

I just ran a map and placed dual track then my station and the station handled passengers on 1 track and oil on the other.

We need an uploaded save.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

waxisthebest1

Post by waxisthebest1 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:20 pm

Is it possible that you have not set a consist yet? Are you buying a train and clicking 'ok' or ' close' before clicking on the cargo you want the train to carry?

upload a save

stormfather

Post by stormfather » Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:14 pm

Are you trying to set the same station as your start and end point? The list of stops is a cycle, so a San Diego -> L.A. train would have only two stops, San Diego and L.A., it would not be San Diego, L.A., San Diego.

Stinkfinger

Post by Stinkfinger » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:58 am

Here's the save file. Pardon the name. Now you all can relive memories of your first game. Hopefully we can get this worked out. Thanks all.
Attachments
Clusterfuck.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 409 times

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:02 am

Opened it up took one look at it and I can tell you right now whats wrong. As most of us thought its not a bug or anything its that the depot is on a sort of siding.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:29 am

The problem as I see it is that the track from SD to LA does not really connect at the LA station. Look closely at the LA station and it's pretty obvious. Just select the track from SD, delete it and reconnect.

vancouverexpress

Post by vancouverexpress » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:42 am

Dr. Frag is totally correct. It's a little tricky at first, but what you have to do, Stinkfinger, is start at the end of the track if you want to continue it. Your cursor should be green, not yellow. What happened is that you connected your track from San Diego into the middle of the track sort of on top of the LA station, so by the time it was in sync with the track, the station was behind it so a train couldn't go directly from SD to LA.

On another note, you're actually better off, once you have a station, to do a very short double track at the station then connect your new route using this new track. That way, you'll be ready to move up to medium and hard routing.