Cant deliver to some stations

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
mrgee

Cant deliver to some stations

Post by mrgee » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:20 am

In the train routing window some stations are black circles instead of white, and I cannot route any trains to these stations. All stations are connected. Seems to be that some annex's wont let me deliver to some ( not all) stations.. Cannot figute this out..?
Any help>>
Thanks..

dwax

Post by dwax » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Anytime that happend to me, I had the track not connected just right, or I even forgot to put up a terminal. :lol:

Slappy Da Clown

Post by Slappy Da Clown » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:42 pm

If you have double tracks or more , make sure you have some little switching tracks between the place your coming from to the place your going to. Just because the track passes a station dont mean that its connected all the time.

Slappy Da Clown

vancouverexpress

Post by vancouverexpress » Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:30 am

another reason is if you have 3 tracks through a depot (4 if fully upgraded) you won't be able to drop goods off at that station. Usually, though, there is a break in the track or there is no direct route.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:57 am

Also if you have a Y situation you cannot go from the tip of one side to the tip of the other side without going to a station on the bottom leg of the Y.

I have also had an annoying situation where I add a station and the OK button gets grayed out and I can't figure out why. This has happened many times now in different maps and I can't figure it out. The route makes sense to me but the game doesn't like it.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:15 am

Dr Frag - the greyed out OK usually means that your route is not complete, like if you go from A to B, then mistakenly click on A again to see what it has. The game has you going A>B>A, but either the last A has to be removed or you have to give it another B. You can't tell the game to return to point of origin, it has to do that last step itself.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Thanx snoop, I've noticed that before and that makes sense. I'll have to take a screen shot next time and see if you all can point out what I'm missing.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:23 pm

fresh morning....
vancouverexpress wrote:another reason is if you have 3 tracks through a depot (4 if fully upgraded) you won't be able to drop goods off at that station.
could you give a more detailed description of that, it wouldn't make sense to have it if you can't use it. :?

Dr Frag - I'll take a game save to go along with that please :lol:

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Ahh, you bet. Good idea.

And I didn't understand that '3 tracks through a depot' thing either. Oh wait, do you really mean Depot as in not a Station or Terminal? Did I read something somewhere about Depots not supporting more than 1/2 tracks?? This getting old stuff sux.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Surgery :!: :!: :!:

We have three, no four, types of "Stops" in SMR, the Annex, the Depot, the Station and the Terminal.

The first, the Annex, we'll ignor, as it's an 'out-of-town' thing, and I don't know what, if any, restrictions there are on that.

The second, the Depot, MUST be laid down before the second track is put in place. To translate, lay 1st track into town, place the Depot, lay 2nd track, and 3rd if you want it. DON'T lay the 4th, unless you don't want to stop there as it will not be connected to that Depot. The Depot has the lowest cost at $50,000 (these are Base Prices and can be changed by the map maker) and the slowest load-unload you can get, unless you want to stop the train before you get to the town and carry your goods to and from the cars 8) .

The third, the Station, gives you a little more speed in the load-unload. It looks nicer and is bigger. It also takes a bigger chunk from your wallet at an extra $100,000. It too can only accept 3 tracks and will ignore 4 or more.

The Fourth, and last, is the Terminal. This one gives you the fastest load-unload speed, is the largest, looks the nicest and has an extra $150,000 price tag on it :shock: . This is the ONLY one that will accept 4 tracks. And yes, you can add a 5th and 6th and on up, they just won't connect to the City. (great for "I want to bypas that city but not waste a track there")

As to "I laid the track but I can't get to that point on that track", when you lay a track at a station and then go from an out-of-town track in, sometimes the two pieces don't connect. You may just miss it, or go under it. Look for those 'End-of-the-line' markers. Also, going to or from a bridge can cause problem as the track runs on the ground as you lay it. Go from the bridge, making sure you have that yellow 'Track-Start' symble before you go. If you try a 'Double Track' to or from a bridge you may also find yourself working from ground level as the game doesn't care about height when laying double track.

(takes a breath) Any questions??? Class dismissed :D

Note to students: it would be nice if there could be a restriction made on what size station goes in what size town. A little village with a huge terminal just don't get it, that's cheating 8)

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:14 pm

Ah Crap, I bet there will be a test on Friday. :?

Thanx for clarifying that snoop.

I just read the Strategy Guide about this. Firaxis must have added the fourth track somewhere along the way because 'the book' says "Only the first three [tracks] are usable, but you can have as many parallel tracks as you wish routing through a station." Also, "To see which tracks can access a station, select the station. The useable tracks are highlighted."

BTW, when 'the book' uses "station (with a lowercase 's'), it refers collectively to Depots, Stations, and Terminals."

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 pm

The fourth rail capability was added in on upgrade 1.10. As to visable, I've highlighted and deleted one of three tracks at a station. Most of the time, not all of the time, you see those 'plated' tracks at stations and annexes. I've had a first track that wasn't 'plated' and the rest were. Also, I forgot to add to my lecture, you have to 'double track' to add tracks to any of the four, single tracking to add a rail won't work.

RedKnight - it might be a good idea to add an 'Upgrades and what they do' to the Wiki. Add the upgrade lists from the forum and do a translation. It just might clarify a few things to a few people.

I think I'll get one of those guides, then I'll have a resource for answers, tho I guess from Dr Frags note, the upgrades are not in it. How much of it was written before the game came out????? :roll:
Last edited by snoopy55 on Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:23 am

Publisher: Brady Games (October 17, 2006)

Lagoon

Post by Lagoon » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:56 am

Im new to the game and are playing on the lowest difficulties and with easy routing. This means no double tracks, but... I still get stations blacked out.
what am I doing wrong to get all this blacked out stuff?

Any ideas?

naugagamer

Blacked out stations

Post by naugagamer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:54 pm

Make sure the tracks connect fully in all directions. The connections needs to make a "Y" so they can travel from one place to another. Just branching off only allows the trains to travel on one leg of the branch.

Hope this makes sense for you. A screen shot would be helpful if you need more help.