Confused About Buyouts

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
Steamer

Confused About Buyouts

Post by Steamer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:16 am

While playing Southwest on Tycoon with 3 competitors, my company had a buyout price of over 23 mil, yet I was bought out by a competitor who had less than 15 mil in cash.

Don't you have to have the buyout amount in actual cash in order to take the action? What am I missing here? I'm rather new to the game, so I haven't learned all the subleties of it yet.

jopsuk

Post by jopsuk » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:55 am

the buyout price you see is not the buyout price your competitor sees. Most of the time anyway. IF your competitor had more shares in your company than you held yourself, then his buyout price will have been lower. The only time the price is the same is when you both control the same amount of stock. So you can somewhat protect yourself by investing in yourself.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:59 pm

Steamer - step back into this sub-forum and read a bit. There has been a bit of talk on this subject. Basicly in playing this game you are sitting at a table with, in your case, three other people. The game is a box on front of you. You each see a different side of that box. When you own all of your stock, you see $0 on your screen because it would cost you nothing since you own it all. Your competitors would all see a price that is what it would cost them to buy you out, your Net Worth along with some calculations.
If Jim owns 1 of your stock, his cost to buy you out is the 9 other stocks, but your cost is only the one stock he owns.

Ya, confusing :shock:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Steamer

Post by Steamer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Thanks, I think I get it now. And you're right, I need to do some more reading here. Or I should say re-reading, since actually I had already read every thread in this Strategy section, but it was before playing the game, and I guess some of the finer points just didn't register at the time. I have to say, though, this is an absolutely terrific forum, with unusually literate posters, and a veritable treasure trove of information - the amount of testing and in-depth analysis you guys have done is simply amazing, and I don't think I'd have had the will or patience to stick with this game even as long as I have without the guidance you all have provided. So thanks again.

EDIT: And now, with new and belated awareness I see two specific threads below that had addressed my confusion, but must have whizzed over my head at the time.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:43 pm

You must cleanse your mind of all the What to do's and How to do's and Why I did's and I should have done's and all that stuff. Enter the Forum with a clear mind and pack it full of STUFF to sort thru later :shock: :wink:

Steamer

Post by Steamer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:26 pm

Point taken, Snoopy.

It's a bit embarrassing to see now that the answer you gave me above, relating to my buyout confusion, is one that you've stated more than once in earlier threads.

KingWilly

Post by KingWilly » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm

Don't worry Steamer...You aren't the first to ask a question that has already been answered in this forum, and no doubt, you won't be the last.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I hope the knowledge contained within these walls can help you (and others) out in enjoying the game.

There is even a Railroads! Wiki, which has tons on useful info. Alot of the stuff mentioned in the forum is collected there, but it is a bit more organised than trawling through the forum.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:26 pm

I try to do it often myself, unforntunatly I can't get into that blasted yoga position.....my legs just don't flex like that. :roll: