simple v complex routing

Got a new strategy? Not sure how to do something?
grover

Post by grover » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:00 am

A few times I was picking up fish on a very short run and all the train ever did was switch directions as it picked up fish and dropped them off.. the train didn't even need to move just change directions..
I think the short trip thing is an exploit/bug.
All you need for a $1.5million dollar train is to connect two metropolises with maximum upgraded stations as close to each other as possible.

Then you make an 8 car train (4 mail 4 passenger), and it will flick back and forth all day picking up at least 1pass/1mail each time and making a fortune. Ideally you make it so short it only has to turn around.
If you add some steel or food to that train, then all the better. (Just build an industry in one of the metropolises if you need too)

This is the reason I only play randomised maps, as the good guys know which cities they can do this trick between , then go straight for it.

I think there should be considerable less money paid for passengers over such a short distance, and considerably more paid for passengers over long distances, to encourage longer, more realistic journeys.

Kenster

Post by Kenster » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:44 pm

grover wrote: .....I think there should be considerable less money paid for passengers over such a short distance, and considerably more paid for passengers over long distances, to encourage longer, more realistic journeys.
I agree...like it was in RRTII

Yeah about all I play now is randomized Robber Baron, Hard route.. never played SMRR multiplayer yet.

Menl

Post by Menl » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:12 am

I try to create complex routing whenever posible. I do this by creating a loop in which the train doesn't need to change direction and do the complete productline on one train so f.i. coal -> steel -> cars. When I've set it up, I just add an identical train, maybe two on the same track. They just follow each other. A good distance is automatically achieved b/c they have to wait at each station to fill up again. Once setup correctly, the money just flows in.

ux-3

Post by ux-3 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:28 pm

The type of routing seems to depend on the level of difficulty chosen. On robber baron, I lack the funds to build a rail net for simple multitrack routing.

Bleser

Post by Bleser » Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:06 pm

ux-3 wrote:The type of routing seems to depend on the level of difficulty chosen. On robber baron, I lack the funds to build a rail net for simple multitrack routing.
All I play on is Robber Baron/Hard routing and use simple, one-train-per-track routing. Use just have to sell almost all your stock early and hope your choices were profitable...

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:59 am

By your definitions, simple routing is always the way to go. Ignoring the "short cities" trick, the guy with the most engines does tend to win.

This is an issue of economic efficiency vs economic inefficiency. I don't want to have trains I pay maintenance on WAITING, switching cars, etc. It really adds up all this waiting, my trains are always moving.

A good rule of thumb: Forget EVERYTHING the tutorial taught you (except doubletrack lol) and IGNORE everything the AI does, the computer is an idiot, the computer is ez to beat on investor with you on Robber with one coal shovel tied behind your back, don't base your ideas on the computer or you'll find yourself in trouble online in a real game!

Youll see some players have dedicated engines tho, for example: One train b/n point A and B moving passengers/mail and another train moving freight on same route (different track).
However, the way I route is NOT simple, even though it's generally ONE train PER ONE track. It is far from simple......try routing 12 engines into one terminal on hard routing with minimal waiting, now tell me how the "simple" way is simple. :)

-Bob the Lunatic