Patch Problems and CTD

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
SirElfman

Patch Problems and CTD

Post by SirElfman » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:21 pm

I'm having the Win 7 CTD problem with Railroads. It doesn't appear to be the 2gb ram problem, as it is crashing on the NE US scenario at between 500K and 700K (just a couple of minutes into the first few years of the game). It is only version 1.0, but I can't get the v1.1 patch to locate the game. It says it is not installed. Any help?

TMILLER

Re: Patch Problems and CTD

Post by TMILLER » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:59 pm

SirElfMan, The Update 101 and 110 each appear to be a single .FPK file (1 each) that contain about 100 new or corrected files of train, terminal, passenger, etc assets. In my computer the .FPK files are located in the Assets (not Custom Assets) folder, under the Sid Meiers Railroads! folder, under the Firaxis Games folder, under the 2K Games folder, under Program Files. I suggest you unzip the update and place the .FPK file in the Assets folder of your computer (where ever you find it) below the other .FPK files ending with Tunnels0.FPK Good Luck!

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:44 pm

SirElfman, when you installed SMR, did you let it install the game where it chose to? Did you by chance move it after installing it?

Also, is this the CD version or the download version of the game, not the patch. If this is a download version of the game you do not need the patches.

If you have played with the No-CD upgrade, you may also have a problem with an upgrade.

Next, Win 7...... (no comment there) uses a lot of memory to begin with. By 2Gb, are you saying that is all the memory you have? This game does not clear memory when you crash and then start again. When testing maps I had to start up Solitaire to clear the memory.

Give us some answers and try the above and come back to us.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

SirElfman

Post by SirElfman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:16 am

Thanks for the responses. The file I downloaded from Firaxis was an .exe, and nothing I have will expand an .exe Is there a place the get it as a .zip file, or do I need to get something like WinZip or Zip7 to open it?

I have a point by point response to Snoopy 55 in the next post.
Last edited by SirElfman on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

SirElfman

Post by SirElfman » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:25 am

snoopy55 wrote:SirElfman, when you installed SMR, did you let it install the game where it chose to? Did you by chance move it after installing it?
Yes to first, and No to the second.
snoopy55 wrote:Also, is this the CD version or the download version of the game, not the patch. If this is a download version of the game you do not need the patches.

If you have played with the No-CD upgrade, you may also have a problem with an upgrade.
It is a CD version, right off the disk. No mods or patches installed before I tried to install the update.
snoopy55 wrote:Next, Win 7...... (no comment there) uses a lot of memory to begin with. By 2Gb, are you saying that is all the memory you have? This game does not clear memory when you crash and then start again. When testing maps I had to start up Solitaire to clear the memory.
No, I have 4gb of RAM. I was referring to the limit of addressing beyond 2GB that SMR has in Win Vista/7 that I have also tried to patch. (I found out I needed the upgrade, and that's where I am stuck.) The game I'm currently working on I played for a couple of hours last night until it crashed, but now, it crashes within a few minutes, even if I load one of the old auto-saves. I played a different scenario (SW US) to completion a couple of days ago, and then tried the NE US scenario. It did crash once or twice, but I have learned to expect that in my short history with SMR. But when I tried to continue the game today, it crashed within minutes of loading the new game, several times not even giving me the opportunity to hit "pause" to remind myself was where I was before continuing.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:18 am

You state that you have a .exe file. Just click on it and it should run itself. What is the full name of the .exe file?

Did you load anything into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets folder or the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps folder? If so, delete whatever is in there and try again.

But when I tried to continue the game today, it crashed within minutes of loading the new game, Did you attempt to do anything to the games files, anything at all, between playing out a map successfully and then getting nothing but crashes?

Go here: http://www.sidmeiersrailroads.net/viewt ... 1.10#p4063 You need both patches to get the game to work correctly.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

SirElfman

Post by SirElfman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:01 pm

snoopy55 wrote:You state that you have a .exe file. Just click on it and it should run itself. What is the full name of the .exe file?
RailroadsPatch1.10.exe
It runs fine, but I get this error:
"The setup has detected that no version of Sid Meier's Railroads! is installed.
This update requires that a previous version of the application be installed."
snoopy55 wrote:Did you load anything into the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets folder or the C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps folder? If so, delete whatever is in there and try again.
I don't have a Documents and Settings folder (this is Win7), but I did go to the equivalent save folder on my computer. The CustomAssets folder was empty, and I didn't have a UserMaps folder.
snoopy55 wrote:But when I tried to continue the game today, it crashed within minutes of loading the new game, Did you attempt to do anything to the games files, anything at all, between playing out a map successfully and then getting nothing but crashes?
No. I finished the first game, (it did crash a couple of times playing the first game, but I would restart and I could play for a while). I started the second game, played it a while until it crashed. I didn't restart it again until the another day when I tried to play again. Now this second game won't run very long at all, even if I load one of the earlier auto-saves.
snoopy55 wrote:Go here: http://www.sidmeiersrailroads.net/viewt ... 1.10#p4063 You need both patches to get the game to work correctly.
I checked this out, and noticed it said I had to install the 1.01 patch prior to the 1.10 patch. I downloaded both of them (in case the 1.10 is different from what I have, since it is a .zip) and will report back.

SirElfman

Post by SirElfman » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Tried the patches from the other site. Patch 1.01 gives the same error I was receiving in the previous post.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:38 pm

SirElfman wrote:Tried the patches from the other site. Patch 1.01 gives the same error I was receiving in the previous post.
You may have to UN-install SMR then re-install it the apply the patches in the right order.
I am running win7 and had no problems installing SMR and both 1.01 and 1.10 patches.

I have Win7 home premium on a laptop and PC and Win7 Pro on my old PC and they all installed and run perfectly fine.

Also are you running it in XP compatibility mode? if not try setting the railroads.exe into XP compatibility mode and see how that goes.