Borneo_NO, all otheres_YES

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
laloha

Borneo_NO, all otheres_YES

Post by laloha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:30 am

Hi all,

Well, I have had Borneo running once but not lately. Crashes every time at start up. All other maps work just fine.

My system would seem adequate as it is subjected to some rather stressful online Sim Racing which requires a potent system.

You be the judge if the system is at fault for the problem with Borneo:

1. Win7 Home Prem 64bit
2. MOBO- Gigabyte GA 790 FXTA AM3
3. Processor is, AMD Athlon Phenom 2 x 4 - 3.4 GHz Black edition
4. Video card - Sapphire Radeon HD5870 1GB 256 bit GDDRS Pci
5. Power supply, Corsair CMPSU 850 HX 80+ Silver
6. Memory, Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2) SDRAM 1333

I installed the SMRl 1.01 and downloaded all the SAM Maps form here.

Also did the 3GB enabler but might be the problem as being a 64 bit OP. I use the Map Shifter but first clean out the 5 folders from previous MAP to be sure all are clean and empty before shifting.

Rather dislike uninstalling, SMR ,and starting all over but might be the first step in finding the resolution.

Be back for your solution tomorrow, lol. Just kidding. :)

Hope you can help and look forward to it.

Thanks in advance,

Larry

laloha

Re: Borneo_NO, all otheres_YES

Post by laloha » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:37 pm

Must believe I have it now. Was a matter of going into the, MOD's under Construction Topic, then found the Borneo thread. Said, Borneo, was complete and the files were present. DL the files from there and followed the, Readme, first, and so now I have it.

Larry

Can remove this, Topic, if so desire. I would if knew how

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:58 am

laloha wrote:Must believe I have it now. Was a matter of going into the, MOD's under Construction Topic, then found the Borneo thread. Said, Borneo, was complete and the files were present. DL the files from there and followed the, Readme, first, and so now I have it.

Larry

Can remove this, Topic, if so desire. I would if knew how
Congratulation.....hope enjoy with My Borneo Map
RODEA2007
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

laloha

Post by laloha » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi RODEA-XXVII,

Yes, this is a great MAP, well done. I am not that good at completing all the Conditions for Victory, but have tried a few times and all to completion. Most enjoyable never the less. Will return many times for sure.

There are numerous great MAPS from such talented people. Since I am slow and thus Victory might be beyond reach, I still enjoy the layouts. So many new features, with paint, designs, and more, that have been made available has increased my interest and must be doing so with increased following.

One thing that would help me would be a means of printing out the Conditions for Victory so would not have to return, in game, so often. I write them down, but with some, I run out of paper before reaching the end of the list lol. Doing the maps over a few times helps too, lol, again.

Please accept my THANKS, here.

Larry

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:20 pm

Don't forget laloha...you can play the maps in TrainTable mode. You get tons of money, don't have to worry about conditions and take your time playing and building.

Have fun ! :D

laloha

Post by laloha » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:22 pm

OK, Train Table mode. You know I never looked at that and wasn't sure where to find it. Remarkable how one can some tunnel minded. :oops:

It provides so many impossible routes that can be fun to construct and watch trains in route.

I would like to be able to process through the Conditions though so will make some further attempts, with different starting locations.

Noticed a terrific number of Loco's but not one articulated. Isn't the BigBoy one? Believe I saw one in one of the Maps here. There is a favorite of mine that ran the mountains of the West called the Denver and Salt Lake, in only two configurations believe, 2 6 6 0 and 4 6 6 0. I have an HO Model of the 2 6 6 0 purchased in 1971 believe. Love that bugger and wish I had my old layout sometimes. It just lays, all alone in it's box in a cabinet. Would be a real treat to have one here.

Anyway, appreciate your nudging me. It is fun, thanks,

Larry

wingsofphoenix

Post by wingsofphoenix » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:52 am

laloha wrote:Noticed a terrific number of Loco's but not one articulated. Isn't the BigBoy one? Believe I saw one in one of the Maps here. There is a favorite of mine that ran the mountains of the West called the Denver and Salt Lake, in only two configurations believe, 2 6 6 0 and 4 6 6 0. I have an HO Model of the 2 6 6 0 purchased in 1971 believe. Love that bugger and wish I had my old layout sometimes. It just lays, all alone in it's box in a cabinet. Would be a real treat to have one here.

Anyway, appreciate your nudging me. It is fun, thanks,

Larry
No the Bigboy of the Borneo Map is not articulated, but you can find one here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4239

Theres also an articulated 4-6-6-4 Challenger here: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4258

laloha

Post by laloha » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:08 am

First of all, thanks, wingsofphoenix, for the added sites. Very nice indeed.

Now, my other reason for being here again:

Absolutely discouraging to report no further success in getting this very nice Borneo to install. Have no clue where my problem is, as am quite sure I have followed the process as when my successful attempt was made.

So have to can this one!

Maybe, someday will give it a go but more than likely will set it aside until a SAM can be had.

Thanks, for all that have added to this thread as much has been garnered for further additions to the fun with Trains.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 pm

laloha wrote:First of all, thanks, wingsofphoenix, for the added sites. Very nice indeed.

Now, my other reason for being here again:

Absolutely discouraging to report no further success in getting this very nice Borneo to install. Have no clue where my problem is, as am quite sure I have followed the process as when my successful attempt was made.

So have to can this one!

Maybe, someday will give it a go but more than likely will set it aside until a SAM can be had.

Thanks, for all that have added to this thread as much has been garnered for further additions to the fun with Trains.
You can find the SAM Version here http://www.sidmeiersrailroads.net/viewt ... 4553#p4553 but as you have not posted there you will need to make a couple of posts to get it as the site is set to a min of 2 posts required to be promoted from the newly registered group to the full registered user group.

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:03 pm

Laloha,
I have tested Borneo and it loads and runs smoothly.

You do mention that the 3GB enabler fix for SMR may not have worked on your 64 bit Win7 OS and I would not be surprised if Borneo crashes occasionally due to memory limitations. Both the map size and the added content stretch SMR to the limit. :P

laloha

Post by laloha » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 am

Hi Karsten,

Well I did have Borneo up and running flawlessly as I mentioned earler in this thread. Removed as Grandson was interested in another MAP from previous time here. So yesterday I guess I tried to install for him to see and we just had no luck.
Used my saved folders as I do when removing a map that is still in progress. Keep them in a folder indicating Map in progress.

It would not respond as did. tried to reinstall, no luck.

I seem to remember there was a "Setup" file somewere and looked in my
borneo stuff but did not find it. Cant remember where I obtained this file if in fact my memory is correct about being part of this map install.\

Anyway, if I can't get it, there are many great Maps, some by yourself that are among the finest, such as Arizona that our grandson did last week. Maybe someday there will be a more fool proof install available. Understand there is one at SRM site but need one more post to be available to obtain. Not being into the fabrication of maps or capable of editing, so far, any subjects in this great sim my presence there is nothing more than observing and making attempts to learn what I can from the threads and posts. Time will come when I can post, other that introducing myself which I did today.

Maybe you can advise where the location for altering my Virtual Memory, if needed, in Win7 Home Premium 64bit. Looked many places including the search feature, Wikipedia too with no luck. Did years ago with my old XP or maybe Win95, but not here.

Anyway I have a rather nice system with a quad core AMD Phenom II x4 3.4GHz processor, I GB video Radeon HD 5870 by Sapphire, 8GB Corsair XMS3 4X2GB DDR3 memory sticks, with a Corsair 850ATX Power Supply in a large Cooler Master ATCS full tower aluminum case. Should be fine I would think as run many other maps with full graphic features turned on, such as, Basin and Range, Japan2, along with Uganda, today.

Again, many Thanks,

Larry

laloha

Post by laloha » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:12 am

First I want to acknowledge, vzbob from the great, Sydney of Australia. THANKS, for advising the included sites. I have proceeded to post and hope to get my quota tomorrow. Will see how I do. Appreciate your informing me of my needs to do. It is in the rules number 26 believe. Just don't remember my duties like should.

Karsten,

As usual it seems I attempt what has failed and then succeeds. I was reading further into the Borneo construction site and found where you had mentioned that to succeed you would go to the original SMR maps then into the Borneo map. This process worked for me tonight. I located the installed files that were in hiding it seems from my earlier working sessions. Placed them as is proper and the session came up. I did crash when I made an attempt to click on a train to upgrade the engine. Went back and it again loaded OK but I didn't go further as wanted to reply here of the status.

Seems a touchy map but might be doable for me after all. I was into the last Victory Conditions, year 2008. Failed most of the previous requirements, never the less was proceeding.

Oh yes, My graphic options had changed where the Shadow Quality was OFF and the AA was at 4x I must have changed these but only the AA do I recall, from 8X to 4x. Whatever, the graphics look rather fine so no need to change further unless it is recommended I do so. Then that is what I will do.

One other thing if OK. How can I see the FPS while running a map? In my racing Sims, it is, "Control F". That isn't a standard it seems.

Thanks once again,

Larry