Can't get maps to work.

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Trukntigger

Re: Can't get maps to work.

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 01, 2011 1:26 am

I know I'm new here and all and not a PC wizard by any standard ...BUT.. I seen this issue in a lot of differing degrees all over the forums. It seems the STEAM version of the game uses as default- C:\users\(user name here)\my documents\my games\sid meier's railroads WITHOUT the ! at the end and the store version adds that ! to the end. Why this was done is beyond me but if you have issues check the path and rename. Just an observation because I have the steam version and I have to pay close attention to where the mods I add unpack too.

K-class

Post by K-class » Sun May 01, 2011 3:34 am

great news then a steam version member and you have no problems playing the game???

Excellent someone to help others.

Perhaps start a new thread "Trobleshooting Steam Version"

Then we can have all this in one thread???

cheers :D

edit

Also welcome to the forum :D :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:15 am

Skibabinz wrote: <Sun Apr 10, 2011> I tried to make the folder like that, and my game ignores it and makes its own but with all lower case and no ! at the end.

Edit: Actually you can see that in the pic I posted lol. I'm not sure why it does that, but it just completely ignores it and makes a new one.
It was known that renaming the folder did not solve the problem at the time of that post. The best idea would be for the people that own a non-working version from STEAM, or any other source, to complain to them. Before you do tho, try making a quicky mod yourself and see if it works. If not, you have a case, if so, I can almost bet you will be told that the game you purchased not running mods from a forum is not thier problem.

But hey, I could be wrong. PLEASE, make me wrong.... I'll accept it!
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Skibabinz

Post by Skibabinz » Sun May 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Trukntigger wrote: Why this was done is beyond me but if you have issues check the path and rename.
How would I go about doing that? ;o

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:42 pm

Ok, one last solution for these versions with errors.

Go into the main game folder and go into Asstes\XML . Right-click on the _SCENARIOS_ folder and tell it to make a shortcut. The snortcut will appear at the bottom of the file list. Move this to your main screen. Now, to put a SAM in to play, unzip it and place it in here. It should work. When you want to play a different one, delete the one in there and place the new one in. As all the SAMs have 'SAM' in the name, you will easily be able to discern them from the rest.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Tue May 03, 2011 1:59 am

I have a dumb thought- but would someone with regular store version and look at the shortcut links in the main folder. The thought is this- steam version shortcut links all show going to the documents source without the "!". Dose the store purchased version show the "!" If so, can we not just have the 6 shortcuts edited to the "!" path thus all be on the same page? The game code goes by those shortcut links via the name, not the path. Just a thought but seemed a rather easy fix for all of it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, tried making new links in main install folder to the documents folder with the "!" added. Oddly it ignores the path, creates a whole new blank set in document folder without the "!" and changes the path of the new shortcuts I had made going to the folder with the "!" i name. I see a microsoft link.exe application which I suspect rewrites and changes it. Like triggering a "/libpath" command which changes the directory path. Guessing that would be source of the difference. In the end I've only had issues with a few maps or extra's not working but plead guilty to being having some pc know how and working out most of my personal kinks. Still suffer from occasional crashes in this game that I can not sort out so habit now is to save often.

Contacting steam may help tho I would add the caveat that due to these items being add on mods they will simply state they do not have to support it. Personally my brother and I with steam versions of this game have not seen a need to do this yet. We just suffer from a lot of "out of sync" issues during multi-player web play (happens very early in game) and the random crashes/lock-ups, mostly with modded games after a good number of years have passed. :( Thoughts?

*note- both of us have recent high end gamer rigs.*
The worst question is the one that is never asked.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu May 05, 2011 4:10 am

what if "RailRoads.exe" on your game ( steam version ), you replace with "RailRoads.exe" which comes from the store purchased version ... what will happen?.... because I think all the activities for this game are controlled by this file.
Does anyone has ever done this :?: :?: :?:
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Thu May 05, 2011 11:18 pm

I'm willing to give it a try, would need the file emailed. Not right to post that on forum. I know my email address is on file when I registered so have it routed that way. Will report results once I try it. What I do not know is if you need a cd in the drive for the store version to operate. Steam's big selling point is everything on the "cloud" so no disc storage or needed to run and you know when and what your friends are playing and can invite them along. (kinda like a xbox live setup) Your license for purchased software is verified via your steam account. Either way, make it happen and I will happily report the results.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 am

Yeah the retail exe does require a disc. You would need to use a nocd patched version. I don't really feel safe linking to one of those sites, they are the kind of thing that can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing.

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Fri May 06, 2011 3:46 am

The "nocd" patch I can do- no need to link me the info for it. Way back in the past I had a laptop die and could not play my games. Found a decent place for patching so I could enjoy disc-less and later got a USB external to install with. Just need the railroad.exe and I can handle the test. Still guessing if it will not just work but install/use the saved games with the "!" on the end that has been giving the headaches to steam users.

I have a different related question. Patched? Pre-patched or what version to try? Maybe try it both ways? Open to ideas all in the name of better gaming with sweet mods!

PS: very impressed with what many users have come up with. I also have the full railworks train simulator with many add ons, it may be very realistic but not as fun to play with. You just drive in that one doing "mission runs". No multi-player or creating a world, just comparing your run times to someone else. This game is more my speed, kinda like roller coaster tycoon. Creating a world and seeing it go...and go.... *whistle blows in distance* :D

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sat May 07, 2011 2:23 am

Okay, thanks to a member I have now tested the Steam Version of the game with the .exe from the store purchased version. Verdict- nope, not changing the working save path. It still saves without the "!" that the store version uses.

To test further, I uninstalled and then did a fresh steam install and used the store .exe file. Same result, it still writes saves without the "!".

Conclusion: either a person with the steam version must place the "sam" based files in the root play folder (normally "steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's railroads\assets) and not the documents\mygames location and delete/install (those files within steams folders) when changing or needs the know how to edit some of the mod's properly.

I'd like to point out that for the most part 80% or so of the downloads here have worked for me as is without any changes. I do have / did install the SMRI 1.01 package which may have an effect seeing so many of the mods are inside that one install pack and worked fine without exception.

Wonder if there is a way to embed some of the latest mod goodness into that install package seeing it interlaced into the steam version flawlessly.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun May 08, 2011 4:26 am

Hhmm, if anything I would expect SMRI to be more fragile, did it sucessfully install to the non-"!" folder?

Trukntigger

Post by Trukntigger » Sun May 08, 2011 2:38 pm

Good question Warll- yes, your fabulous SMRI package installed perfectly in my steam version- and for my brother who also uses Steam and gifted me my copy so we could multi-player on line. It run's just fine, all the features seem to work. Game itself locks up or crashes not due to your packaged mod but rather just the game because it crashed on regular maps we did together. (we save often now)

Many of the mods we've played both solo and multi-player have worked fine. Details help so here you go:

Both he/I use steam versions that are update and used the 2> gig enabler. We do online multi-player, private matches with no AI most the time. Basin& Range- love it, plays fine. Utah- sweet looking and plays fine but we find game play slow due to time it takes to get things really going. Super Bowl Express- again plays just fine and we enjoyed the different industry action and having to figure out what needs shipping where and how to get it there. Chicago to the rockies- works fine, good play. AZCanyonV2- dang fun map, that terrain really makes you plan ahead! Works just fine like the rest. So you get the picture. Others: My old Kentucky home- I solo play this, no unusual issues.

Now getting some of the add-ons like the tender mod or train car reworks is a bit different. Stand alone tender, no go but the mod embedded in your SMRI works. Can't seem to get the train car mod standalone to work proper yet, was going to just change file names and overwrite the base ones in the install directory next but I need to look the naming over carefully first.

My brother and I still want to try playing the northwest default map but modded with updated engines/cars/industry but I have yet mastered how to merge the mods with the scenario.

As to the recent chat on 4 corners- still can't get that one to run. Spent few hours late last night web surfing for ideas on what to try. The way it crashed looks like one of those industry resource bugs from my reading.

Other: I can say this, from all my researching add this to your troubleshooting tips. If your using something like Roxio for a CD burning utility and apply a nocd patch or use a download version from steam or other legal vendor that it game gets confused with the drivers from burning utilities like Roxio and will kick a insert cd error and when inserted will still fail randomly. So best to remove cd burning add on programs before installing/playing.

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 am

Could you try something for me Trukntigger? Could you rename the folder that SMR was installed to, the one in the steam common files, to include a "!". Then run the nocd exe?

From that impluse link you gave I have a hunch that smr takes the folder name of the place it was installed to and uses that for the my_games folder. Just a guess though, I really wish I could test this myself but unfortunately SMR does not even so much as run with my Linux install :( Wine is supposed to support SMR but I don't have a new enough version of it.

hathers82

Post by hathers82 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi, first time post...

I think i've found a solution (if someone hasn't beaten me to it) to the CTD issue when starting a custom map using a steam installation of SMR...

I'm running:

Easily meet min specs
4GB RAM (with 3GB enabler)
Windows 7 64bit
Steam installation od SMR
(Windows XP SP3 Compatibility set)

Spent all afternoon trying to get some custom maps to work (they all look great), but all but 2 of them (Mysterious Island and Rusia) CTD whenever the SMR gets as far as "Building up steam" (which is kinda ironic considering this is a Steam fault).

Basically as others have alluded to, the missing "!" from the users SMR folder for custom maps/assets seems to be the fault, which only occurs with steam installations.

What i did to fix this was to copy the custom maps to the custom map/assets folders as directed, then copy the whole "Sid Meier's Railroads" folder (from C:\Users\me\Documents\My Games\) and paste it side by side itself (creating a copy). Then renamed the copy to "Sid Meier's Railroads!" (notice the "!"). Ran the game, and the custom map which CTD'd before now runs. (Not tried beyond this).

Basically having the map in both locations fulfills the need for the custom maps to access any files with "!" and for steam to recognise the maps are there in the first place.

Hope this helps, gonna go play some of your great maps!! (assuming I dont find another fault!)