Railroads won't launch

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
kingy75

Railroads won't launch

Post by kingy75 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:25 am

Hi all,

I am experiencing a problem with Sid Meier’s Railroads. The game will not start. When I double click the icon on my desktop, nothing happens. Same thing when I go via the Start menu.

Is anyone able to assist, please?

Many thanks.

kentcol

Re: Railroads won't launch

Post by kentcol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. I've been waiting weeks for an answer to mine and nothing! :(

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:40 pm

kingy75 wrote: The game will not start.
I'll try, but not too good on the tech end. I use Win XP.

kingy75
1 - Is this a new problem, game running okay before but now it gives trouble?
2 - New install of game, from download or CD?
3 - Patch 1.10 installed, but not Firaxis Holiday scenario. This is the basic "clean install".
4 - CD in PC tray, or nocd.exe used?
8 - Desktop icon (properties) should point to:
"C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\RailRoads.exe"
Your local, user SMRR files are in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\(YourUserName)\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!"

kentcol
1st line of your request posts reads: "I installed the game and it runs fine".
Then you write about a runtime error (specifics?) after applying the 1.10 patch.
Where did you get the patch? Does the game quit running? Does the error mean anything?

To Both:
The more information you can include in your help request, the better the chance someone here can help you. Don't be misled by the low post count, many people read this forum often.

kentcol

Post by kentcol » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:45 pm

After applying the patch, which I got off the official Railroads! site, the menu comes up but clicking on Tutorial or Single Player starts them but when the loading screens come up, they just sit there and nothing happens. When you hit any key I just return to desktop with a runtime error box flashing right before destop.

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am

Ok, that's good place for the patch.
I've seen a few trouble reports about runtime errors, but I don't understand them.

One more thing, are you using XP or Vista? There are some troubleshooting tips for both on the Wiki that may help you.
http://www.smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php ... leshooting

Good luck.

kingy75

Post by kingy75 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:33 am

keotaman wrote:
kingy75 wrote: The game will not start.
I'll try, but not too good on the tech end. I use Win XP.

kingy75
1 - Is this a new problem, game running okay before but now it gives trouble?
2 - New install of game, from download or CD?
3 - Patch 1.10 installed, but not Firaxis Holiday scenario. This is the basic "clean install".
4 - CD in PC tray, or nocd.exe used?
8 - Desktop icon (properties) should point to:
"C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\RailRoads.exe"
Your local, user SMRR files are in:
"C:\Documents and Settings\(YourUserName)\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!"
Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve owned the game for over a year but have only just recently installed it. It has not launched even once since installing.
I’ve installed the patch & I have the CD in the drive whenever I attempt to launch the game.

My desktop shortcut points to the exact path you mentioned in your post.

I’ve updated my graphics drivers & downloaded the latest Windows updates, not sure what else to do.

Any advice is appreciated, many thanks.

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Gigabyte Mainboard EP43-DS3L
4096MB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card

kingy75

Post by kingy75 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:34 am

keotaman wrote:Ok, that's good place for the patch.
I've seen a few trouble reports about runtime errors, but I don't understand them.

One more thing, are you using XP or Vista? There are some troubleshooting tips for both on the Wiki that may help you.
http://www.smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php ... leshooting

Good luck.
I'm using XP Pro :)

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 pm

kingy75 wrote: I’ve owned the game for over a year but have only just recently installed it. It has not launched even once since installing.
I’ve installed the patch & I have the CD in the drive whenever I attempt to launch the game.
My desktop shortcut points to the exact path you mentioned in your post.
I’ve updated my graphics drivers & downloaded the latest Windows updates, not sure what else to do.
Any advice is appreciated, many thanks.

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz
Gigabyte Mainboard EP43-DS3L
4096MB DDR2 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card
Ok, good. Your system is better than mine, & I do not update windows, so you are in better shape.
The shortcut points to the RailRoads.exe, size 11,940Kb. I think that is after the patch, but I don't remember for sure. Verify the file is there & approx. that size, please.
The game needs DirectX9.0 or better, if you don't have it, you can install from the game CD.
I think, since the game has never run for you, that it would be best to use ControlPanel, Add or Remove Programs to remove SMRR, then re-install the game. I've attached the "readme" htm file from the game for you.
Probably best to install and run the game at least once, then apply the 1.10 patch. After the patch, the version in the lower left of the main SMRR Menu window should read Version 1.1.0.0 (61414)
Most user troubles involve freezing, jumps or crashes to desktop, so it should be fairly easy for Someone (come on, Group, help this guy out) to solve these startup problems.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:03 am

@kentcol Do you have any custom maps installed? Unfortunately with SAM maps installed you can only ever play that custom map at any one time, thus in order to play the stock maps you must uninstall the SAM map.

kentcol

Post by kentcol » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:22 pm

Warll wrote:@kentcol Do you have any custom maps installed? Unfortunately with SAM maps installed you can only ever play that custom map at any one time, thus in order to play the stock maps you must uninstall the SAM map.
No, only stock game. I just don't understand why the unpatched game works and the patched on doesn't. Strange!

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:50 pm

kentcol wrote:… I just don't understand why the unpatched game works and the patched on doesn't. Strange!
Maybe the patch got corrupted?
Try getting it fresh & try to patch a fresh install of the game.
http://www.2kgames.com/railroads/railroads.html