Multi-zip maps

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Jancsika

Multi-zip maps

Post by Jancsika » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:28 pm

This is a copy of a post by Snoopy about the use of Multi-Zip maps.
There has been some problems when people try to unzip the multi-zip maps, so let's discuss them.

A multi-zip map is created by zipping the full map into one file, then using a program to break it into a number of files with a maximum size set. My Central Mexico map for instance, consists of 5 files 6 Mb in size and 1 file 1.71 Mb in size. They are named Central_Mexico_SAM2.7z.001 thru Central_Mexico_SAM2.7z.006. This naming is done by the program.

These files look a bit odd, kind of like they have two different file types, 7z and the 00x numbers. If you try to remove the last dot and numbers and unzip them, you will fail to open them. The way to open them is to place all the associated files into one folder and click on the one ending with .001. It will ask you where you want to place it, and it will have the name of the folder the files are in. Just use that one. When it is done it will have created a folder with all the files needed for the map. In the case of the Central Mexico map, the folder will be called Central_Mexico_SAM2.7z. At this point all you have to do is remove the .7z from the folder name and zip it. This will give you a way to store it and maneuver it to your UserMaps folder where you can unzip the copy.

If anyone has any problems understanding the above, ask. If anybody is having trouble with opening any maps, let us know what you have for a system and which download is giving you problems.
I am posting it here so our members can read it and if they have any contribution or suggestion, the can post it here or at the source of the post at the following link. http://eric.bkbobby.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4312#p4312
Jancsika

Jancsika

Re: Multi-zip maps

Post by Jancsika » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:01 pm

I have a hunch that the problem is with the interaction of the operating system at both end and 7Z.
So when we try to figure the source of the trouble, we should know what was the system that created the Multi-ZIP file and what was the system that tried to un-ZIP the file.

I have a Windows 7/64 Professional, the Railroads.EXE compatibility is set to Windows XP, Service pack #3
I can not load neither Western-Australia or Central-Mexico,they crash at the “Loadscreen”
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:51 pm

As I already noted elsewhere, it seems more reliable to split the User Map folder into a number of RAR files than to use 7z.

WinRar offers such a facility. RAR volumes are used to store or transmit a large archive. By default RAR volumes have names like 'volname.partNNN.rar', where NNN is the volume number.

:D

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:50 pm

HOW are they spliting the files? Snoopy never exactly mentions WHICH program he uses to split the archive.

7zip's spliting should work, I just did a test myself where I added a zip to a new archive and selected "Split to volumes, bytes" using hte floppy option it split the map into three which 7zip was then able to extract and open perfectly. Thus being the 7z version of what karsten mentioned.

In the recent case of Jancsika's map something must have been missing or corrupted, the 7z inside the split archives extracted fine so there wasn't anything wrong with the split files, just the 7z inside of them.

Again with snoopy's map the files were fine and would have failed CRC if not, yet they still crashed smr.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 pm

:roll: :) Jancsika's messenger service :roll: :D
I read Karstens post, tho I had to translate the German. I found a way to get the same effect. Now this is a guess as to how he mat have done it, I could be wrong (heaven forbid, would damage my ego). Take a multi-zip download and delete the .001 from the first one. Now try to unzip it. Take the error message you get (mine was in XP) and do a English to German translation of it and see how close it comes to his error. Then ask him exactly how he handled the zips from your map. Your map worked for me also. The program I use is called Free File Splitter from Deepcom. I'm going to get in contact with them to let them know.
BUT, I just downloaded Western Australia, put it back together and it ran fine. Talk with Karsten and see exactly how he tried to open those files. If you look at his screenshot, he is not trying to open the .001 file. Opening them should be no problem, I can open the Central Mexico SAM2 and it gets reassembled. It just will not run. Karsten stated that he could not open it while you stated that it crashed, two separate problems with two separate reasons.

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:28 pm

"Free File Splitter from Deepcom"
This program requires that an exe be also passed along, perhaps this is our problem since we've all tried to open it with 7zip and not this auto-generated exe.

Although this doesn't explain why Jancsika's 7z was not opening, (This was the file contained inside the split files. And I did have all three parts)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:29 pm

The so called EXE is part of the 001 file. That's why you have to start with that.
That Deepcom file splitter is just that. It has no provisions to recombine the split files.
In PITGOC I have only 7Z and that's what I used to split and and also to un_ZIP.
I have just dowloaded from Snoopy his Central Mexico (Revised!) un-Zipped with 7Z and it works fine.
I have still trouble with Western_Australia.
The problem lies either in the map or in the player on the other end, or in the occasional wrong interaction between the two.
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:09 pm

I am currently running 64bit Vista. Sometimes 32bit progs get directed to the wrong files by the WoW Subsystem - who knows :roll:

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:12 am

Well, oh well. Thanks for clarifying :lol:

So you say that Central Mexico has been updated eh? Would you mind sending me a copy?

karsten

Post by karsten » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:14 pm

Well, I managed to find a laptop running 32 bit XP and on that 7zip unpacks UserMaps.7z.001 to a file UserMaps.7z and then gives up as well. Maybe there is some conflict with WinRar? Strange. :cry:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:48 pm

OK folks. The splitting problems are over.
The Central Mexico map was posted as a single 30 Mb 7Z file and it is available at http://eric.bkbobby.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4018#p4018 :lol:
Jancsika