Win7 CTD

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Stuporman

Win7 CTD

Post by Stuporman » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:45 am

I've been playing Railroads on and off for a couple of years now and find it very enjoyable and very frustrating. I've also been lurking in this forum for about the same amount of time. It has been very helpful, and sometimes entertaining. I'm now hoping someone can help me.

I recently acquired a new computer running WIN7 64 Bit, Core I7 CPU, 12GB Ram etc. I'm able to run one of the Railroads stock maps with no apparent problem. My problem is with a map I've developed, which crashes at seemingly random times, usually well into the game. This was always a problem with my older XP computer so I assume it is just the usual memory problems I read about. However, the most recent CTD was with only six trains running and 3200 miles of track. I’ve played this same map, on the Win7 computer, to where I’ve had many more trains and miles of track before the CTD.

The game is version 1.10, patched with the 3GB Enabler.
The map is 15x15 and has about 14 cities.
There are no events (RRT-Events.xml was changed to the bare minimum).

The CTD first occurred when goods from a six-car train were being unloaded. It actually occurs when the fourth car of the six is reached. The CTD is very predictable. I reloaded the game to a point before the crash, deleted all other trains (now I have just one) and all other track except for the track the remaining train uses. I now have 1005 miles of track. I saved the game with this configuration. The train is in the process of unloading at City A. It loads the six cars of Good X, travels to City B and unloads. CTD on when the fourth car is unloading.

I changed the consist to three cars instead of six. Loaded at City A and unloaded at City B, no problem. Continued on (with no cars) to pickup goods at Depot 1, then Depot 2 and drop them off at City A. Loaded the three cars at City A, traveled to City B to unload. CTD when the first car is unloading. In other words, this is essentially the fourth car of this good being delivered to City B since the save. Note that the good was delivered to City B a number of times prior to the save.

I changed the consist to one car. I was able to make the complete loop described about successfully three times – the CTD occurred on the fourth.

Now for something completely different. I picked up three cars of Good X at City A, traveled to City B and unloaded successfully. I tried picking up Good Y at City B and got the CTD.

I’m confident the map, cars, goods, industries, etc. are all good. I’ve tested and can pick-up, drop-off and process any of the goods in the map, so I believe this is some kind of memory problem. I’ve stopped unneeded services and tried different page file sizes – no difference. Also, changing the video options from the main menu to off or their minimum doesn’t help.

I’m afraid I’m running out of things to check and would really appreciate someone else’s input.

Jancsika

Re: Win7 CTD

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:20 am

It is not Windows 7.
There must be something in the game that does it.
Why don't you Zip the game up and post it?
There are a few experts here who will be glad to look at it.
New mapmakers are always welcome.
....and since I am a mapmaker, I will look at at too. :wink:
Jancsika

Stuporman

Post by Stuporman » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:32 pm

I haven't tried posting the map yet because it is not done but I will work on it.

One other thing I tried was changing back to version 1.1 without the 3GB_Enabler patch, loading the saved game, and it CTD at the same point. It appears as though the 3GB_Enabler isn't working as it should. Am I missing something here?

I'm also going to try it on a computer under XP.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:47 pm

Windows 7 64 bit does not need the 3 GB enabler. Depending on the version it will read the RAM directly.
There is a CPU meter among the Gadgets that will show you the CPU and memory usage. Just right click on the Desktop and install it.

There could be Events file, or just something that needs to be cleaned out from your C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\ folder.

When you restart the game from an Autosave file go back a couple of saves and see if it still does it.

And if there is more problems, just pack the thing up and post it.
Jancsika
Correction!!!
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =33&t=3819
Please read this thread about the role of the 3 GB enabler.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:36 pm

All 64 bit does is allows you to skip the "directions section", theres no auto patcher in windows :roll:

All that means is that your crash is not the type that extra RAM solves. Which is to be expected since you descried a different type of crash.

Stuporman

Post by Stuporman » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 am

Moved your post to the MAPS thread, where it belongs!!!!!
Jancsika