CTD with win 7

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
hsmith2007

Re: CTD with win 7

Post by hsmith2007 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:23 pm

Jancsika

Again many thanks and, yes, I am playing the maps that came with the game. I have had no problems with other games, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks also for the info on text editing - I am beginning to understand all of this - it's just not something that I have looked at before.

I will persevere - I think Railroads stands out as one of the best games of its type, despite its age. It also works much better in Windows 7 than it ever did for me with Vista.

Regards

Harvey

Jediron

Post by Jediron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:06 am

Like alot of other people, i endured CTD's frequently also under Windows 7 64bit. I've done all the tricks to make it work, 4GB fix, run as admin and windows XP compability mode. Aldo Railroads run better then, it still keeps crashing when you build some more...

Anywat, i have the rocksolid answer: Railroads does not like multicore processors!
Atleast not mine though :-/

So i use a CPU fix, which consist of two files; "processor.bat" and "IMAGECFG.exe".
In the processor.bat you can change the ****.exe line's and ****.icd lines to the name of your game.exe, in this case Railroads.exe. You can do that in notepad. When you have done this, start the processor.bat and press enter a few times. The paych will be succesfull when you have done it right. From now on, Railroads will run on just one core. All the time, every time.

That's easier then setting the cpu-affinity each time manually. Playing north-America now, quad-tracked rails, all stations builded and 31 trains on the run now, it keeps running rock solid, allthough it is getting a little slow when adding tor removing track.

Update: Still not rock solid, when getting busy; sometimes it will cRASH.

Swagman

Post by Swagman » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:44 am

First off thank you for all the help and guidance on this site. I have started to really enjoy the custom maps but I'm still having issues with the game crashing.

I have been through the crash checklist on this forum and ensured everything is ticked off. I'm on Win 7 (64 bit) with 6 gigs of ram but the game will always crash when it gets 'busy' i.e. when I have lots of trains, stations and track. I'm not talking a huge number, I still can't complete the larger custom maps. eg the africa map I had only 12 trains.

My question is what else can I try and is there anyone who has this running on win 7 now without any crash issues?

Thank you

Olly

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:44 pm

Swagman

Post by Swagman » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Yes I have used the 3GB enabler and double checked it was correctly applied.

Actually since posting I have been playing some other great custom maps (Thanks Jancsika for the current masterpiece that is keeping me on my toes) and they have been far more stable. Not perfect but I managed to play a couple through to completion. I don't think the Africa one works well with my machine/setup for whatever reason. So I think it also depends on the custom maps too. Not ideal but far, far better.

Thanks again for all the assistance on this site. It has made a massive difference for me and keeps me coming back to the game.

K-class

Post by K-class » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 am

hello sent you a PM

Hang in there remember to save often as the game crashes often. The majority of games do run for hours I dont think it has much to do with vers of win as I run 7 64 with very little issues. Try some of the newer maps. May also if you have a modded exc as well.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

franc

Post by franc » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:23 pm

Another Win7 64-bit crasher, I've tried just about everything I've found in these forums and this site but still no joy. I'll keep tinkering, keep up the tips!

mackb0lan

Post by mackb0lan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:42 pm

I tried the 3g enabler thing, but for some reason, got an error message bout the editbin command or whatever. I'll try it again later, but after re-reading that thread, at the end, someone says, "Just pause when you lay track and it seems to work," and that seemed to work for me. I tried 2 or 3 times to lay try while game was running and crashed it every time.

Started pausing to lay track, and no crashes. I doubt it's that simple, but for soem reason it seems to help.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:27 am

I practically never have crashes, since applying the 3GB patch (on Vista), except when I happen to jerk the free-fly camera into the sky. :cry:

I do check each map before starting it the first time, for common crash factors:
  • does the map have a good random events file, and
  • if it comes with .fpk files, I unpack those before starting the map.
What I do notice is when I run new track halfway across a busy large map in one go, SMR can lock up for a while and can be sluggish when laying track from then on. So pausing for track laying, and doing it bit by bit, is solid advice.

mackb0lan

Post by mackb0lan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:54 pm

I had this game on cd (still do).

but, I was poking around on steam a while back, and found the 2k games collection or whatever. Like 40 games, for 80 bucks. There were several games in it, I didn't have, so I picked it up.

And while poking around on the steam forums, found this post, that evidently has a link to the 3g enabler exe already patched.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=1090651

ShortyDK

Post by ShortyDK » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:56 pm

Hi! I'm also new to SMR and to this site.
I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 bits version, 4 gb memory and 1 gigs graphics.
I modified the exe file with the CFF Explorer program, like GeorgeKlapsidis explain at this site http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 759?page=5
After that i've install Iobit's Razer Game Booster and so far no more breakdowns.. I'll be back if anything change here :wink: Regards
Regards ShortyDK

ShortyDK

Post by ShortyDK » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:36 pm

I got a Pc with Win7 64 bits, 4 GB memory and 1 GB on a ATI Radeon 4650 graphics -
After I run the 3 GB enabler and I was clear about the "supremecommander.exe" belongs to another game, I just rename my railroads.exe file to supremecommander.exe and was abel to fix the file without any problems. After that rename the supremecommander.exe back to railroad.exe and run the game.. NO PROBLEMS ever since :P

Sunday morning running my favorite game with the Florida map on and after lunch can't start any maps?...
Regards ShortyDK