New Member Introduction

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
ILikePortillos

New Member Introduction

Post by ILikePortillos » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm

Hello. I just bought the game last week on Amazon. I haven't actually played it yet, just the demo. I've played Railroad Tycoon II, so I'm familiar with the genre. Good times! I'm also a guy who grew up loving trains, so it was a natural purchase. I also own Pirates!, so I'm familiar with Sid's artistry. He does an amazing job creating an emersive experience with plenty of historical detail, while putting a "family-friendly" and fun spin on it that keeps it both complex and light-hearted at the same time.

Let me know if there's any must-read posts I should consult before getting into it. I already read much of the "Unofficial Guide" I found online. I'm psyched to get out there and start building.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to the group. Glad to meet you all, and see you on the forums!

Jancsika

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by Jancsika » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Yes this is great game. I am doing it for 3 years and still like it.
If you are looking for a Railroad Tycoon III, this not it. It is more like a fancy model train layout. There are a lot of mods and new maps out there, and there are still more to come.
The information on this forum is a little disorganized, but it is there.
And if you have any question just ask. There will be always somebody glad to help.
Have fun;
Jancsika
PS. Be sure to have patch 1.10 installed
And DO NOT install Firaxis' Holiday scenario.

ILikePortillos

Post by ILikePortillos » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:33 am

Jancsika wrote:And DO NOT install Firaxis' Holiday scenario.
Really?? How come?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:12 am

The Holiday Scenario has entries add to the game. When you try to add any custom maps, GLOBAL maps or SAMs, it interferes and they will no work. There is a version that can be used here on the forum.

Jancsika, do you remember where that is? 2 1/2 Yrs is a bit much for me right now. I did a quick search of a few pages but the search engine does not do searches for files.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:15 am

As long as you stay with the basic maps that came with the game, it won't do any harm.
But once you start playing most of the scenario maps that are available on the forum, you will find that it will clash with the custom maps and it will crash the game.
You will find that the game is located in two parts on your machine. One in your Programs folder, that's where the “Railroads.exe” file and all other stock maps are located.
The other is in the C:\Users\User\.........\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\ directory.
That is where the user created maps,scenarios are placed.
It so happens that the Holiday scenario is in there and it will clash.
But don't worry. Some of our more esteemed members reworked it and it is available at this address
http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/down ... php?id=705

If you already have it installed, then uninstall it. Then completely delete C:\Users\User\.........\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\ directory.
Then start a new game, just some basic stuff, and it will automatically create a said new directory. All you have to do is to install the revised version.
Jancsika

ILikePortillos

Post by ILikePortillos » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Wow, thanks you two! I appreciate the words of welcome and your suggestions. I should get the game in the mail in the next few days, so I'll be sure to use this version. I also heard there's a map of the entire Continental United States in here. Have either of you tried it out? Is it geographically correct? Does it run well? And would you recommend it?

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Here is a collection of maps that I assembled couple of month ago. Of course there have been more published since. You will find them in the map section.
As for a map to be geographically correct, that's a questionable proposition. The US is a huge continent, and if you want to squeeze all the important features in a map, there is just not enough room.
These maps I am referring to are SAM (Stand Alone Maps). That is ideally you have only this 1 map installed in your UserMap folder. There is a writeup at the start of the thread as how it works.
Jancsika

http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/view ... =42&t=3389

ILikePortillos

Post by ILikePortillos » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:34 am

Sweet! Thanks man. I just got the game today, so I'm gonna dig right in. I'll be sure to give all of these a whirl.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Sorry I'm late, but welcome to the forums, ILikePortillos.

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:50 pm

ILikePortillos wrote:Hello. I just bought the game last week on Amazon. I haven't actually played it yet, just the demo. I've played Railroad Tycoon II, so I'm familiar with the genre. Good times! I'm also a guy who grew up loving trains, so it was a natural purchase. I also own Pirates!, so I'm familiar with Sid's artistry. He does an amazing job creating an emersive experience with plenty of historical detail, while putting a "family-friendly" and fun spin on it that keeps it both complex and light-hearted at the same time.

Let me know if there's any must-read posts I should consult before getting into it. I already read much of the "Unofficial Guide" I found online. I'm psyched to get out there and start building.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello to the group. Glad to meet you all, and see you on the forums!

Welcome! Personally, one of my favorite games to this day is still "sid meier's Pirates Gold!" on Sega Genesis, ever played that? I haven't liked the newer pirates games as much but that was possibly the best game of the 16 bit era. Also possibly the most valuable game for sega genesis (usually worth around $50 today-not bad). It ranks right up there with the original final fantasy (NES) which is another game I really haven't been able to enjoy the sequels of. And make no mistake about it: While this game seems to be about TRAINS, it's really about PIRACY!!!!! Bwa ha ha! Welcome to Railroads!
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:28 pm

darthdroid wrote:
ILikePortillos wrote:Hello. I just bought the game last week on Amazon. I haven't actually played it yet, just the demo. I've played Railroad Tycoon II, so I'm familiar with the genre. Good times! I'm also a guy who grew up loving trains, so it was a natural purchase. I also own Pirates!, so I'm familiar with Sid's artistry. He does an amazing job creating an emersive experience with plenty of historical detail, while putting a "family-friendly" and fun spin on it that keeps it both complex and light-hearted at the same time.

Welcome! Personally, one of my favorite games to this day is still "sid meier's Pirates Gold!" on Sega Genesis, ever played that? I haven't liked the newer pirates games as much but that was possibly the best game of the 16 bit era. Also possibly the most valuable game for sega genesis (usually worth around $50 today-not bad). It ranks right up there with the original final fantasy (NES) which is another game I really haven't been able to enjoy the sequels of. And make no mistake about it: While this game seems to be about TRAINS, it's really about PIRACY!!!!! Bwa ha ha! Welcome to Railroads!
Definately about piracy! Listen to Bobs advise! If ever in doubt ask him. If you are interested in making pretty trains, snoopy55 is the guy to talk too.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

ILikePortillos

Post by ILikePortillos » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 am

darthdroid wrote:Welcome! Personally, one of my favorite games to this day is still "sid meier's Pirates Gold!" on Sega Genesis, ever played that?
Oh yeah! In fact, that's what got me to buy Pirates! I actually thought the latter was a fine modern rendition of the former. It was very similar in many ways, with some additional aspects (and updated graphics, of course.)

Thanks all for the welcome. I'll be sure to pop in with any questions or tales of my adventures.

8)