Complete noob in need of help!

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
anthonywmorgan

Complete noob in need of help!

Post by anthonywmorgan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:30 am

Hello all! I got SMR early last year and only just got the internet... so I've missed out on all the mods and add-ons you clever folk have been producing. Problem is, I've read a heap of wiki and threads but because I'm coming in so late I can't find just a lamen's step-by-step guide as to how to get all the fabulous maps.

I have the stock standard, unpatched/untouched SMR. From what I can understand...

I need to patch SMR.. from Firaxis.com?
I need to get a "Santa" patch or something, but NOT from SMR?
I need a Manges Tender Mod :?: or something?
THEN I can download your maps from the map wiki page? But sometimes have to clear out a folder to get each one to work?

I apologise profusely for my lack of knowledge but I'm really quite IT illiterate. Any help much appreciated, the screenshots of your work looks absolutely incredible.

PS I'm from Australia and Karsten's additions to that map are really exciting!

K-class

Re: Complete noob in need of help!

Post by K-class » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:44 am

Welcome I think you prob have arived at the right time.

The new mod has updated a lot of the maps on the first post with a sam map. Just install that into a clean folder. Just do the official updates 1.01 and 1.10

The sam maps and the cic maps from lowell and some others are now all self contained no need to to add 15 maps, tenders mod etc.

Try a sam map or cic map
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

anthonywmorgan

Post by anthonywmorgan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:51 am

K-class wrote:Welcome I think you prob have arived at the right time.

The new mod has updated a lot of the maps on the first post with a sam map. Just install that into a clean folder. Just do the official updates 1.01 and 1.10

The sam maps and the cic maps from lowell and some others are now all self contained no need to to add 15 maps, tenders mod etc.

Try a sam map or cic map
Wow thanks for the fast response my friend from the other side of the ditch :) Again, sorry for the ineptitude.. I'm sure I can manage getting the official updates lol but where do I get SAM and CIC maps? On that wiki page with the list of all the map downloads Lowell doesn't have any listed etc.. Guess I'm just looking in the wrong place.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:56 am

A ways down in the same sub-forum this is in is a thread called "SAM style maps for downloading....". Instructions for SAM loading is in there, and the finished SAMs follow. Some of them, the first 8 or 10, are at the beginning of the maps thread, which are all on the first page.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

K-class

Post by K-class » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:58 am

Hey they are in this topic

example see Wisconsin V 1.0 and in the first post you will see:

Wisconsin_SAM.zip [3.7 MiB]

The mod is ging through and updating the with the SAM maps done by snoopy inc (several people involved here)

so look for maps with attached SAM.zip

see Mud Skippers CIC v1.04 Lowell (cic) and Florida Gold 400 CIC
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

anthonywmorgan

Post by anthonywmorgan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:09 am

Thank you both very much, of course it was right under my nose haha. Like you said, seems I came along at just the right time, thanks for the spoon-feeding with the install instructions Snoopy, I would really have trouble without something like that. Can't wait to get home from work and get stuck in to them all now! Once I check out how it all goes I might even try to learn how to map out my local area.. South East Queensland. Who knows :wink: Want to contribute and not purely leech :wink: