Unusual problem, can't start railroads!!!!

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
steve

Unusual problem, can't start railroads!!!!

Post by steve » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:35 pm

I got a new Sony Vaio laptop and installed the game, played it a few times without any trouble. Now the program will not open under my user but will open OK if I log on as another user. I uninstalled and reinstalled but it's still the same. When I click on the icon to start the game it looks like it's loading up but nothing happens, if I go in to task manager it's there using system resources but that's it. Any ideas?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:00 pm

Is the game listed in the bottom bar? If so, right click on it and Maximize.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

steve

Post by steve » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:18 pm

No there is nothing on the bottom bar. I have discovered that I try to open the program and leave it running eventually it will start up after maybe 10 or 15 minutes. Then it runs fine.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:35 pm

What do you have for a system?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:58 pm

When you install programs in windows and have several users on the machine...you need to tell it when it is loading the program that it is to be used by all users. There is a question box that pops up during install...read them carefully, one will ask you if this program is for all users on the pc.

The Vio should work okay...something went haywire with your install. If you have Vista try uninstalling it from the control panel remove programs...then reload it and read all the prompts as you go.

Should work fine...and it shouldn't take it that long to load either. Somethings not right...

Oh...and make sure you get all the new updates for your Vio from Windows update site first. Make sure you have all the updates that would include software and hardware updates...then reload the game after everything has been updated and see what happens.

And if it is a new machine and you want to keep it clean from all virus worm trojan and spyware threats, use PcCillin made by Trend Micro as your systems anti-virus and spyware filter - firewall. You will never have trouble with that stuff ever again...it stops everything and has kept my systems clean for six years now. I haven't had a single instance of spyware or any kind of virus stuff anumore.

steve

Post by steve » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:34 pm

Just an update, I have tried everything suggested and it won't have it. If I want to play the game I just load up a different profile and play from there. I think it's just another vista issue. Civ 4 works fine.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:06 am

In task manager, is it using resources after it fails to load? May have to kill it's process in the task manger and when it finally dies, restart the game from the icon again. Don't go end the task of any process, just the SMRailroads one.
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200