How do I restart a saved multiplayer game

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
Tigleth Pilisar

How do I restart a saved multiplayer game

Post by Tigleth Pilisar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:53 pm

I'm using Vista and have not deciphered the 2000 character memo on the 10 steps of downloading and reconfiguring my system and software to fix Railroads! for Vista.

As a result, I expect the system to crash every 10-80 minutes - at least that is my experience. Reloading is fast and easy though and autosave is every minute so I don't lose much.

I am trying to play multiplayer with another PC I have with XP on it so it is more stable.

But since I am guaranteed to crash several times in a game I need to know how to restart a saved multiplayer game.

My guess was first to "load" the multiplayer game, but that simply puts the other player as computer. Going to the multiplayer area on the second PC doesn't seem to register that the first restarted the multiplayer game.

Then I guessed that I'd go into the multiplayer - LAN section looking for an option to start a saved game. No option like that, only host a new game or join existing game (or refresh).

No help in the manual.

My guess is that a saved multiplayer game can not be restored with all human players (only one human and the rest computer is allowed on reload). If that is the case, there effectively is no multiplyer option if you are on Vista because a crash is a given.

How do I restore multiplayer, and how do I stabilize Vista (in one sentence for a non computer technician)?

Thanks.

flmako

Re: How do I restart a saved multiplayer game

Post by flmako » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:00 am

[quote]"Tigleth Pilisar"]I'm using Vista and have not deciphered the 2000 character memo on the 10 steps of downloading and reconfiguring my system and software to fix Railroads! for Vista.

As a result, I expect the system to crash every 10-80 minutes - at least that is my experience. Reloading is fast and easy though and autosave is every minute so I don't lose much.

I am trying to play multiplayer with another PC I have with XP on it so it is more stable.

But since I am guaranteed to crash several times in a game I need to know how to restart a saved multiplayer game.

My guess was first to "load" the multiplayer game, but that simply puts the other player as computer. Going to the multiplayer area on the second PC doesn't seem to register that the first restarted the multiplayer game.

Then I guessed that I'd go into the multiplayer - LAN section looking for an option to start a saved game. No option like that, only host a new game or join existing game (or refresh).

No help in the manual.

My guess is that a saved multiplayer game can not be restored with all human players (only one human and the rest computer is allowed on reload). If that is the case, there effectively is no multiplyer option if you are on Vista because a crash is a given.

How do I restore multiplayer, and how do I stabilize Vista (in one sentence for a non computer technician)?

Thanks.[/quote]

When you go to Lan game select host game and you should be able to choose from 2 options. in a drop down box choose load game. its easy :)

Tigleth Pilisar

Post by Tigleth Pilisar » Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:49 am

You are wrong.

I'm not sure if you tried it or just looked at the screen and thought that is how it works.

I'm assuming that a multiplayer game is started where one player selects "host game" and as you indicate, the other players "join" the game. No problem there.

The next step is that you save the multiplayer game. In my case, the game is autosaved because if you try to lay track where there is too much terrain change the Vista version will crash.

Now everyone is off the game.

Now what? How do you restart that multiplayer game? If you pick "load game" from the main menu and other players go to the Lan section, the loaded game does not appear as a multiplayer game to chose from. In fact if you load a multiplayer game, it is no different from loading a single player game.

The manual sez that if a multiplayer leaves the game, the computer takes his spot. SO I GUESS THAT MEANS MULTIPLAYER IS NOT SAVABLE OR RESTORABLE.

Again, it seems that Multiplayer is not an option using VISTA because crashes are guaranteed and restores not possible.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:11 am

Tigleth Pilisar wrote:You are wrong.

I'm not sure if you tried it or just looked at the screen and thought that is how it works.

I'm assuming that a multiplayer game is started where one player selects "host game" and as you indicate, the other players "join" the game. No problem there.

The next step is that you save the multiplayer game. In my case, the game is autosaved because if you try to lay track where there is too much terrain change the Vista version will crash.

Now everyone is off the game.

Now what? How do you restart that multiplayer game? If you pick "load game" from the main menu and other players go to the Lan section, the loaded game does not appear as a multiplayer game to chose from. In fact if you load a multiplayer game, it is no different from loading a single player game.

The manual sez that if a multiplayer leaves the game, the computer takes his spot. SO I GUESS THAT MEANS MULTIPLAYER IS NOT SAVABLE OR RESTORABLE.

Again, it seems that Multiplayer is not an option using VISTA because crashes are guaranteed and restores not possible.
Patch Vista using the guide from here.

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:20 am

I stand corrected. Online games can be reloaded. When you host the game, under GAME TYPE choose Load Game instead of Scenario. :oops:
AKA: CrashDummy__1.1