Vista problem

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
keotaman

Post by keotaman » Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:16 pm

... Still crashes frequently. What's the problem?
Vista! This may be interesting to those of you who have Vista, http://www.blimptv.net/mostpopularV1.html
[and funny to those of you who don't.]

keotaman

Re: Cool fix - no dice...

Post by keotaman » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:23 pm

bchirhart wrote:No luck for me. ...
I get a crach 100% of the time by either building track very low or by building a depot, ...
Have you tried the Hotfix, the first of the Vista fixes in the Wiki?
Vista & SMRR compete for the same memory! Explanation & link to the MS KnowledgeBase:
http://anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3060

snoopy55

Re: Vista problem

Post by snoopy55 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:29 pm

Well, since no one wants to take my 'Guaranteed Vista Repair' to heart, there may be another thing to try. No, not C4...... If you right-click on the icon for the program and click on 'Properties', then on the 'Compatibility' tab you should see a section labeled 'Compatibility mode'. Check the box and find 'Windows XP' (it may be part of something else) and click on that. I was trying to play Unreal Gold, which is a Windows 98 program and it just would not work right. It even messed up my system and I had to restart it. It played just fine once the above was done, for Windows 98 of course. Tijer informed me that you may have to redo this if your machine has to be restarted. While I've had to restart mine a few times and it has not effected it at all, hey, this is a Microbrain product, it may do anything or nothing, it depends on what the weather is like in any part of the world. :wink:

If someone has already posted this, hey, things happen. The only thing I claim is I didn't know it and it worked for me to solve my problem. Your problem and system may be different. Speak to your Doctor before trying anything you are not familiar with. Should you or any of your Gaming Force should be caught or killed, Remmah Software will disavow any knowledge of this post and post this statement: TOUGH LUCK GUY!!! This message will self-destruct as soon as it is deleted. :mrgreen:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Kroguys

Post by Kroguys » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi Acela, try the instructions on page 3 in this thread bye Zorander. It was the one I followed. Only thing missing from Zorander's instructions is the command to change the directory on STEP 3, which I got from Crag's post a few pages later:

cd c:\users\(username)\documents\3gb_enabler2\3gb enabler

username should be the only thing that's different. the exact location of your 3gb program should be on top of the 3GB window. Hey if I can do it, You can do it because we are smarter than a Fifth grader.
AKA: CrashDummy__1.1

Greybriar

Mike F's Windows Vista Fix for Railroads!

Post by Greybriar » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:38 am

When I saw this fix for running Railroads! under Windows Vista on Mike F's Railroads Fix webpage, I thought I should share it with the members of this forum.
Mike F wrote:Hi guys, glad you found this. I guess if you found this then your having a wee bit bother with Railroads. I found that under Vista it started to crash from anywhere between 30 secs and 15 mins. From trolling through countless sites I have discovered it was mainly due to a memory allocation problem. I have patched the original executable file to fix this. I have no idea why Firaxis couldn't do this as it only took me about 3 minutes. Thats not a dig at you guys, why do it when someone else already has, I know! Available at the bottom of my rambling there are some files that some of you have said were missing, i.e the bink32.dll. Click on the link below for this. Install intructions in the zip file. Please feel free to email me (link at the bottom) and let me know how it went!

First things first, please make sure your hardware / computer / girlfriend or what ever you call it meets the minimum required specifications to play the game as detailed below.

Intel Pentium 1.4Ghz or AMD Athlon processor or equivelent.
512 MB RAM.
64 MB Video Card with hardware pixel and vertex shaders (GeForce 3, Radeon 8500 or better).
DirectX 7 compatiblie sound card.
CD-ROM Drive.
1.7GB of hard drive space.

Next, make sure that your drivers are all up to date. You probably already have done this so can probably ignore this part!

This patch was made from the original executable for the game after the game was patched to version 1.1. This means for the download below to work you too will need to update your version to 1.1. The v1.1 patch is available here.

Okay, first download this.

Patched Executable. (7.0 mb)

Next scan the file for viruses. Not that I would but you can never be too careful. This is the internet you know!

Now back up the original version of the games executable. Extract the new executable and copy and paste the new executable that you downloaded into the original installation folder. Now right click on the executable, select properties and select compatibility and select 'run as Windows XP Service Pack 2' and tick 'Run as Admin'. Click 'apply' > 'ok'.

Then right click the new executable again and select 'send to', and select 'desktop', thus creating a wee shortcut on the desktop for you.

And there we are, hopefully now you will be able to play Railroads without any problem.

Please note that I have be getting close to nearly 100,000 hits now and of those I've only had approx 200 people that this patch hasn't made a difference. Thats a neat little 0.2%. It has worked for both operating systems, 32 bit and 64 bit, so far but will not fix graphical errors. Please make sure that your drivers etc are upto date and you meet the minimum spec.

I am not a techno wizz nor work for Firaxis Technical Support. If this doesn't solve your problem email me using the link below and I will do my best to help but can not promise anything. I do not take responsibility for you trying this patch either.
Please note that this is a fix for Windows Vista.

I hope this helps someone but since I am not a tech guru, use it at your own risk.

ChugginJoe

Post by ChugginJoe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:23 am

After chuggin around the internet looking for a fix to this problem and trying both of the Faraxis patches I found that simply pausing the game while I lay track in the game keeps it from crashing.

chrisadam2

Post by chrisadam2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:24 am

Applications that run on Windows Vista are more reliable because applications can recover from deadlocked situations and improved error reporting enables developers to fix common problems. For example, Windows Vista operating system can quickly detect and recover failing hard disks and memory therefore fixing window vista problem is not difficult task.
Last edited by Warll on Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed spam links