SECUROM BULLS**T

Trouble getting the game to run? Ask here!
recca421

Post by recca421 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:51 am

TKilmer wrote:Well I flashed the drive with its latest firmware, something I am not sure I ever did and it seems to be working fine again.

I keep it because when the drive I use for just about everything (used to be an LG, now it is a Lite On) has a problem with a disk, the Plextor can always read it. It is the PlexCombo 320a. Although that was more common with the LG, seems like the Lite On can read everything.
A lot of other gaming companies have wound up suggesting that users buy themselves a drive *without write capabilities* . This is actually getting sorely tempting, as a good number of the games in my collection not only require the disc to play, but actually keep the the drive going during gameplay, instead of checking for what they need and then spinning it down.

Burners are generally supposed to run for what, 1/2 hour-45 mins tops (assuming you're burning a DVD @ 2x-4x)... I'm starting to think maybe it's not smoke damage that's killing my drives.

I do agree that companies need to protect themselves from widespread piracy through SOME kind of means, but I think the use of safedisc/securom/starforce/etc. has gotten a little bit ridiculous, as honestly has the 'Hardware GUID system' that games like 'Earth 2160' used. IT's an awesome game, and the idea is solid, but why should I have to re-activite my game just because I hot-plugged a SATA hd?

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
[CKT]
-------------
The towels . . . the mysterious towels . . . the towels of destiny . . . Suzy's towels . . .
-------------

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:00 am

recca421 wrote:
A lot of other gaming companies have wound up suggesting that users buy themselves a drive *without write capabilities* . This is actually getting sorely tempting, as a good number of the games in my collection not only require the disc to play, but actually keep the the drive going during gameplay, instead of checking for what they need and then spinning it down.
The latest version of Securom I do believe now makes checks often while you're using the program just to make sure you aren't trying to save your original by removing it and slipping in a copy. As recca421 says, more drive use. I have an old 4 disk drive but XP refuses to see it. Any suggestions?? It's an NEC CDR-C251. Manu in 12/95.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

TKilmer

Post by TKilmer » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:21 am

Thank goodness for no cd fixes.

Natronomonas

Post by Natronomonas » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:25 am

I *hate* requiring the CD to play.
I don't know why they can't have an either/or - have the CD in the drive, OR, it regularly checks itself online, a la Steam/Valve.
My CDs, if regularly taken in & out of the drive, inevitably end up damaged... I don't see why legit customers are being made to suffer here....