WIP 4-8-4 FEF 3 Northern

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:47 pm

no it dosn't have twice the power, it is twice the cost though, I increased power by 1.5.

Max 9 will work if you have the SDK and you compile the source code for the niftools.

Gackbeard

Post by Gackbeard » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:53 am

eilelwen wrote:thats alot of extra work that they would have to do, what I really need is just information from them. or maybe if they used maya there plugins. that allowed them to import/export.

but the thing I'm most curious about is. Are the animations stored in the nif file or in the respective kf/kfm files?

oh and do the trains need to be all one mesh, and did you use rigid or smooth bind?

and it is animations that are messing me up. and the fact that you can't seem to edit a KFM file with a text editor like notepad /sigh. if I could do that I would have something new for us to play with :/ and nifskope dosn't seem to want to write this file type. Hopefully Firaxis can help us with some of this :)
KFM's are the animation files that Gamebryo uses. A KFM contains (IIRC) a reference to the base models, and a bunch of KF (keyframe) data. I'll check the Civ IV modding community but I'm pretty sure there are apps out there that will allow you to mess with KFM's.

Note that you don't *need* to use a KFM, especially when you're just starting out. The game can handle train engines as NIFs, they obviously just won't animate.

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:31 am

eilelwen wrote:no it dosn't have twice the power, it is twice the cost though, I increased power by 1.5.
Then I would like to have it please.

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:01 am

hmm, well now I have to try something :) thanks for that info Gack, I know there are programs out there, but I have Maya not Max :/

Warll let me do some testing I may have a different version soonish.

I just did a test, with my new B unit, well I got an evil red circle, so now I have to figure that out.

It might be the fact that I don't have it one single mesh but several for the ease of painting so that might be a problem.

Ok gonna supply the Unit that I made last night. This dosn't replace the current F-Series already in game it just adds a whole new one. Now I bet you need the tender mod as well for this to work. But I bet most of you already have that.

sigh I just can't get this right :P.
Attachments
RRT_TrainCars.zip
(1.44 KiB) Downloaded 391 times
Bunit0.zip
(3.01 MiB) Downloaded 372 times

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:30 am

well I have gotten something in game thats new, well if you consider a red warning shere new hehe ;) screen shots included.
Attachments
SMRailroads!0002.jpg
SMRailroads!0002.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 9870 times

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:02 pm

well I think until a new version of the nif tools comes out or we can get an exporter for that the devs used. We may be stuck(unless I can get someone with max to help me for like 10min).

The Nif files that the game uses and the ones that I can produce are way different. The geometry seems to be the same but there are alot other things that I just can't export. and I not sure how I'm going to add them in after the fact or even if I can.

I will keep working on this though.

leo

Post by leo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:36 pm

did you try blender?

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:44 pm

same problem, the nif it exports dosn't work in game. However, I have had a success, a custom mesh in game, the nifskope can save a version that the game can understand so however it is saving it, maya and blender arn't. hopefully someone with max will eventually get ahold of me and we can get this really rolling.

Ok now onto the success. I have a custom unit in game wee. now the only problem is, is figuring out why its black, that one might take some time as well but for now here is one screenshot :). There are no animations and the effects don't work, but hopefully after the football game. I will be able to work all this out.
Attachments
SMRailroads!0004.jpg
SMRailroads!0004.jpg (505.69 KiB) Viewed 9854 times

leo

Post by leo » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:51 pm

making progress is good ...

Woulfe

Gmax

Post by Woulfe » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:42 pm

IIRC Gmax works w/ KeyFrames or something similar to them.

Too bad one can't just make these in Gmax and convert them to be used w/ Railraods!

I know how to make things in Gmax and I have made a train for Trainz, so it'd be fun to convert it for Railroads!

Along w/ the rails and everything else that goes with the train I made.

Or convert the one I made for MSTS to Railroads! Or convert the one I made for Locomotion to Railroads! Whatever works best.

Woulfe
< = < <=) The Supertrain Chief (=> > = >

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:19 pm

well it could be done, but I'm not sure as soon as I fix one problem something that hasn't been a problem becomes one /sigh. For example I just got the train texture/color thing fixed just have the stupid thing go up and be part of the engine infront of it :/

Warll

Post by Warll » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:18 pm

:shock: :lol: How did you do that?

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:17 am

IDk, and I can't figure it out so I'm currently stuck again :/

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:38 am

I wonder have you seen this: http://sourceforge.net/project/shownote ... _id=451831
Well?
tell me?
I'm waiting!
Come on tell me!!!!

eilelwen

Post by eilelwen » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:36 am

yes, unfortnatly it makes/exports unusable files. so is useless.

it really is too bad, it would make my job really easy :/