First Try at a Logo

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
lrg162

First Try at a Logo

Post by lrg162 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Hope this is the right place for this ... This is my first try at a train Logo ... a Rail Road themed Pin-up Girl Logo ... Hope it's OK ... It's a little hard to see ingame except in the 'customisation/paint' screen :?
choo choo.jpg
p.s. You can rename the file if you don't want to replace the default SMR Logo
Attachments
train_decal_1.zip
(32.76 KiB) Downloaded 406 times

Rodea2007

Re: First Try at a Logo

Post by Rodea2007 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:29 am

lrg162 wrote:Hope this is the right place for this ... This is my first try at a train Logo ... a Rail Road themed Pin-up Girl Logo ... Hope it's OK ... It's a little hard to see ingame except in the 'customisation/paint' screen :?
The attachment choo choo.jpg is no longer available
This below picture is Train what you meant
Attachments
Chooco.jpg
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

mojos

Post by mojos » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:19 pm

Hey, that's my wife! lol :wink:

lrg162

Post by lrg162 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:53 pm

Rodea2007 wrote:This below picture is Train what you meant
Hey cool ... How did you get the logo to appear so large on the train?

BTW is there anywhere I can download the actual skins for the trains or conists themselves? I've got the 'train skinning kit' but it doesn't include the actual diffuse maps for the trains, I just wanted to maybe play around with some basic recolours ... change blue to red or green to yellow that sot of thing ...

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:39 am

lrg162 wrote:
Just copy and paste to your train skin ( DDS File )
BTW is there anywhere I can download the actual skins for the trains or conists themselves? I've got the 'train skinning kit' but it doesn't include the actual diffuse maps for the trains, I just wanted to maybe play around with some basic recolours ... change blue to red or green to yellow that sot of thing ...
skin for default trains on this game, provided by 2 FPK Files namely Trains0.FPK and Trains1.FPK. you can find them in "....\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets", but to open them you have to have software it's called "PakBuild", with this software you can pack and unpack the files for this game
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:23 am

by 2 FPK Files namely Trains0.FPK and Trains1.FPK. you can find them in "....\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets", but to open them you have to have software it's called "PakBuild", with this software you can pack and unpack the files for this game
I believe that the Borneo files in the "Assets" folder are already unpacked.
You have to look for this file: C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! - Borneo\CustomAssets\BIM_TrainCars\ge_u20c_passcar_diff.dds.
Some other maps have them in an FPK file that needs to be unpacked.
The "PackBuilt" program is posted somewhere in this forum.
If you cannot find it just ask and will post it again.
Jancsika

lrg162

Post by lrg162 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:36 am

Rodea2007 wrote:
lrg162 wrote:
Just copy and paste to your train skin ( DDS File )

skin for default trains on this game, provided by 2 FPK Files namely Trains0.FPK and Trains1.FPK. you can find them in "....\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets", but to open them you have to have software it's called "PakBuild", with this software you can pack and unpack the files for this game

Thanks guys :D ... I'll grab a copy of it and have a go at some train skins ...

BTW ... I was thinking about re-creating the "Sunlander" which is a train that runs along the Queensland coast here in Australia ... There is just two things holding me back now 1) The main engine 'looks' sort of like a stretched GP series engine (but not quite) any idea what it might be ?
2) Is their any way to make a 'double length' passenger car? Maybe two of the standard passenger rail cars from SMR joined together?
It would be ideal for recreating some of the long distance rail journeys from various countries and you could also add a double sized 'food' transportation tender (as a 'dining' car) and add it to a scenario as a requirement
(i.e. transport 2 x Passenger cars and 1 x Dining {food} car from city 'A' to city 'B' some long distance apart) ... OK that's the end of my impossible requests

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:27 am

lrg162 wrote:
BTW ... I was thinking about re-creating the "Sunlander" which is a train that runs along the Queensland coast here in Australia ... There is just two things holding me back now 1) The main engine 'looks' sort of like a stretched GP series engine (but not quite) any idea what it might be ?
If you have the pictures from that train ( Front, Left, Right, back and Top sides ) then I guess I can build that train with edit GP38-2 with 3dsmax
lrg162 wrote: 2) Is their any way to make a 'double length' passenger car? Maybe two of the standard passenger rail cars from SMR joined together?
It would be ideal for recreating some of the long distance rail journeys from various countries and you could also add a double sized 'food' transportation tender (as a 'dining' car) and add it to a scenario as a requirement
(i.e. transport 2 x Passenger cars and 1 x Dining {food} car from city 'A' to city 'B' some long distance apart) ... OK that's the end of my impossible requests
Check it on Borneo Island Map, in there provided Rodea Passenger car with double length, and various Freight Car with double length too...... :P
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

lrg162

Post by lrg162 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 am

Rodea2007 wrote: Check it on Borneo Island Map, in there provided Rodea Passenger car with double length, and various Freight Car with double length too...... :P
Wow they are fantastic! Thanks!!! :o :mrgreen: ... just got to figure out how to replace the originals with the longer versions ... As for pictures of the 'Sunlander' Loco, unfortunately there are very few pictures of it around and none of them really good enough for modeling ... guess I'll just have to use a recoloured GP instead ...

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:19 am

Just for interest, I found a few shots, but the engine front could be quite some work (and it is triple axle, only Rodea can do that currently 8) ). The train has mostly double traction, can have single, and there appears to be a motor vehicle transport car at the end of the train quite often.
Attachments
sunlander14e.jpg
sunlander12d.jpg
sunlander09b.jpg
sunlander10c.jpg
sunlander06a.jpg
Last edited by karsten on Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lrg162

Post by lrg162 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:30 am

Sweet ... Thanks karsten ... I afraid I'm not that up on axles and traction 'n' stuff ... so ... 'phew' :roll: I guess it might be a bit to much work ... As I mentioned earlier, it looks like a stretched GP38 to me, but maybe that's just me being a total noob when it comes to train shapes

On a side note ... Trying to use Rodea's extra long passenger cars as defaults in game and I ended up with this ...
SMRailroads!0009.jpg
So what am I missing? The car obviously has the extra length but it is still only showing the small version, however it moves and articulates as though it had the long version of the cars (as from Rodea's Borneo map)

strain

Post by strain » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:45 pm

lrg162 wrote:Hope this is the right place for this ... This is my first try at a train Logo ... a Rail Road themed Pin-up Girl Logo ... Hope it's OK ... It's a little hard to see ingame except in the 'customisation/paint' screen :?
choo choo.jpg
This is nice idea. Can you tell me how do I do it? Where do I place this gif file? Can I put any picture on it?

Thanks

lrg162

Post by lrg162 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:33 pm

Adding new logos is both pretty easy, in that all you need is a picture file of the correct dimensions = 128 x 128 pixels and pretty hard, in that you can't use a .gif file, it has to be a .dds file (DXT Texture file)

However if you use a program such as 'Paint.Net' (google it if you haven't heard of it before, It's a free graphics editing program) and this program can open, edit and convert most common file formats, including built in support for .dds files.

So in your *:\*****\Sid Meier's Railroad\Assets\Logos folder you should see a bunch of files with that look like this:
train_decal_**.dds
train_decal_**_spec.dds

The ** represent numbers 1 and upwards (I think their is a bout 20 default decals)

Their is also a
train_decal_default_nrml.dds and train_decal_default_spec.dds

These are the default SMR decals, the 'nrml' is the 'normal map' or basic image and the 'spec' is the 'specular map' which basically tells the game how 'shiny' or 'reflective' the decal should be ...

Thee easiest way is to get your image( whatever it is), open it in Paint.Net, highlight (using the magic wand) any part of the image you DON'T want to be seen in SMR (like the white background of my decal for instance, then simply hit 'delete' this gets rid of all the unwanted stuff and you should be left with just your picture surrounded by grey and white squares, now resize the image down to 128 x 128 (if it's not already, you can use the 'canvas size' function to make the image square if its not exactly right).

> It's easier if the image is a multiple of 128 x 128 = 256 x 256 or 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 and so on (keep in mind that scaling an image down to 128 x 128 will lose a lot of detail, so try and find a medium sized image to start with around 200 to 300 pixels square)

Now simply use 'save as' in the Paint.Net menu and .dds as the file type and it will aske you for a file name and directory use train_decal_**.dds (where ** is the next number in the sequence AFTER the other decals in the directory then click save ... It will ask you to specify the file save options, which can be a bit confusing, I use the following settings which seem to work fine
Paint_dot_net_Settings.JPG
Now to create the 'spec' version, the easiest way is to keep the file open in Paint.Net click on 'Adjustments' then 'Black and White' to turn the file into a 'greyscale' version the do the same 'save as' but save THIS file as train_decal_**_spec.dds, making sure you use the same number as the colour version

(For the purists out there, I know this is NOT the ideal way to create a specular map and if your feeling creative you may want to play around with the light and dark areas to create 'metallic' effects or 'shadows' and so on but for a beginner, it's the easiest way to start)

Now when you go to the train table in SMR and use the customisation function, if you have done everything correctly you should be able to scroll through and eventually come to your new logo ...

Good Luck ... and remember to post your creations here (even if you think they aren't very good, it doesn't matter, we may be able to help or offer more advice, or fix a problem you're having) for us all to enjoy