Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
To give you an answer of how it could be made:VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:How exactly do you get MSTS trains to run in SMR in the first place?
1. You need a software to import .s files and export .3ds (e.g. as Rodea wrote: payware version of 3D Canvas 7) or just convert them directly (there are some freeware tools for that)
2. You will need further a software to import .3ds and export .nif (e.g. blender (freeware), 3dsMAX (payware) - both with nif-export plugins)
If you've come so far, the worst is still up ahead
3. To modify the MSTS model (made of many seperate hierarchical structured shapes (about 20-40), with 1 or more seperate texture files each, some of them directly animated) into a SMR model (usally 1 shape in hierarchical bone structure, 1 texture file for everything, animation skinned to bones) and export to raw, not usable, .NIF and .KF files. (talking about 3dsmax plugin here, which is rather dumb)
4. Well the rest is as usual for SMR model builders.
But I would say:
Scrap Step 1+2 and most of the work of Step 3 and build a new model from scratch or an existing SMR model. Thats by far easier. Well a MSTS model would still nice as a template, if it is made well. MSTS can only handle models with 11500 polys or less, while SMR can up to 65000.
I guess it is easier to go the opposite direction, to use SMR models in MSTS.
I can't find a file converter from .s to .3ds. Do you know where I can find one?wingsofphoenix wrote:You need a software to import .s files and export .3ds (e.g. as Rodea wrote: payware version of 3D Canvas 7) or just convert them directly (there are some freeware tools for that)VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:How exactly do you get MSTS trains to run in SMR in the first place?
If you're really interested in that here it is, I found that on a spanish site. Just unpack it somewhere and start the ShapeConverter.exe which directly converts a .s file into .3ds format. Should work with many models (some may not).VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:wingsofphoenix wrote:I can't find a file converter from .s to .3ds. Do you know where I can find one?
But the 3ds files have to be modified with a 3d modeling program to be usable for SMR, especially for animations.
- MSTS Shape Converter.rar
- (572.49 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
What's the train?, upload here pictures of the trainrobs03 wrote:Can anyone help me with my train? I have modded this train for MSTS.