SOME OF SMR Trains NOW RUN in MSTS

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
VirginiaAndTruckee

Re: SOME OF SMR Trains NOW RUN in MSTS

Post by VirginiaAndTruckee » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:36 pm

How exactly do you get MSTS trains to run in SMR in the first place?

wingsofphoenix

Post by wingsofphoenix » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:52 pm

VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:How exactly do you get MSTS trains to run in SMR in the first place?
To give you an answer of how it could be made:

1. You need a software to import .s files and export .3ds (e.g. as Rodea wrote: payware version of 3D Canvas 7) or just convert them directly (there are some freeware tools for that)

2. You will need further a software to import .3ds and export .nif (e.g. blender (freeware), 3dsMAX (payware) - both with nif-export plugins)

If you've come so far, the worst is still up ahead :lol:
3. To modify the MSTS model (made of many seperate hierarchical structured shapes (about 20-40), with 1 or more seperate texture files each, some of them directly animated) into a SMR model (usally 1 shape in hierarchical bone structure, 1 texture file for everything, animation skinned to bones) and export to raw, not usable, .NIF and .KF files. (talking about 3dsmax plugin here, which is rather dumb)

4. Well the rest is as usual for SMR model builders.

But I would say:
Scrap Step 1+2 and most of the work of Step 3 and build a new model from scratch or an existing SMR model. Thats by far easier. Well a MSTS model would still nice as a template, if it is made well. MSTS can only handle models with 11500 polys or less, while SMR can up to 65000.

I guess it is easier to go the opposite direction, to use SMR models in MSTS. :)

VirginiaAndTruckee

Post by VirginiaAndTruckee » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:43 am

wingsofphoenix wrote:
VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:How exactly do you get MSTS trains to run in SMR in the first place?
You need a software to import .s files and export .3ds (e.g. as Rodea wrote: payware version of 3D Canvas 7) or just convert them directly (there are some freeware tools for that)
I can't find a file converter from .s to .3ds. Do you know where I can find one?

wingsofphoenix

Post by wingsofphoenix » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:07 am

VirginiaAndTruckee wrote:
wingsofphoenix wrote:I can't find a file converter from .s to .3ds. Do you know where I can find one?
If you're really interested in that here it is, I found that on a spanish site. Just unpack it somewhere and start the ShapeConverter.exe which directly converts a .s file into .3ds format. Should work with many models (some may not).

But the 3ds files have to be modified with a 3d modeling program to be usable for SMR, especially for animations.
Attachments
MSTS Shape Converter.rar
(572.49 KiB) Downloaded 870 times

robs03

Post by robs03 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:15 pm

Can anyone help me please. I have a train modded for MSTS and I will bring it to SMR, but I can't do this. Please answer if you agree :oops:

robs03

Post by robs03 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:17 pm

Can anyone help me with my train? I have modded this train for MSTS. :oops:

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:01 am

robs03 wrote:Can anyone help me with my train? I have modded this train for MSTS. :oops:
What's the train?, upload here pictures of the train
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit