problems with installing trains

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
polarhki

problems with installing trains

Post by polarhki » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi,

I have installed all these train files and skins as written in the sticky post of snoopy55:

AC4400
GP7
EMD F3 A
GP38 SkinPak
GP7 SkinPak
9 DieselPak

Some problems and questions when looking at the train stock:

- EMD GP-7 appears two times with identical graphics, but slightly different specifications (max speed etc) - is this intended or a bug?

- Of the GP38, I see three versions, but all are just black shadows, even though the skin pack is installed as written above - how to get this working?

- What does the '9 diesel pack' actually do, I cannot see 9 new diesel locomotives...?!

Thanks for help,
polarhki

snoopy55

Re: problems with installing trains

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:02 am

polarhki wrote:- What does the '9 diesel pack' actually do, I cannot see 9 new diesel locomotives...?!
Look at the first post here in Trains! and it will list what is in it. It is really just some variations of existing material......

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

polarhki

Re: problems with installing trains

Post by polarhki » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:01 pm

polarhki wrote:
Some problems and questions when looking at the train stock:

- EMD GP-7 appears two times with identical graphics, but slightly different specifications (max speed etc) - is this intended or a bug?

- Of the GP38, I see three versions, but all are just black shadows, even though the skin pack is installed as written above - how to get this working?

Ok, so far about the last question. How about the other two ones above?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:04 am

On the 1st, when you say 'appears', do you mean on the turntable? Duals appear as a single engine. Also, you can put in as many GP7s as you want, calling the simply 'GP7', but put in whatever changes you want.

As to the 2nd, this has come up with others, and you might want to do a search for 'Black' or 'Shadows' or even 'Black Shadows'. I've only had it once on a map, and it was fixed by someone else. That one is around the corner and up the street for me... :shock:

polarhki

Post by polarhki » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:25 pm

snoopy55 wrote:On the 1st, when you say 'appears', do you mean on the turntable? Duals appear as a single engine. Also, you can put in as many GP7s as you want, calling the simply 'GP7', but put in whatever changes you want.

Yes, I'm speaking about the turntable. I have done nothing else than installing the installers from the Wiki site. Now I see two identically looking G7 on the turntable, just they have minimally different specifications. I don't find this very satisfying. is it a bug?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:00 pm

No. When the engines are shown on the turntable only the first unit is visable. The name on it Should say Dual or give both unit types. Usually the very expensive one will be a dual and the lower priced one will be a single. You'll also notice that the Steam Engines don't have thier tenders on them....... 2K didn't expect any more than they had :?

polarhki

Post by polarhki » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:07 pm

Ok, thanks, one of the GP-7 is indeed a double, but it *doesn't* say in the turntable.
snoopy55 wrote:
As to the 2nd, this has come up with others, and you might want to do a search for 'Black' or 'Shadows' or even 'Black Shadows'. I've only had it once on a map, and it was fixed by someone else. That one is around the corner and up the street for me... :shock:
So this is still remaining. I searched for "black shadows" as you suggested, but only found that others had exactly the same problem. I didn't find any solution, unfortunately. Any help would be very appreciated.

polarhki

Post by polarhki » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:38 pm

polarhki wrote: So this is still remaining. I searched for "black shadows" as you suggested, but only found that others had exactly the same problem. I didn't find any solution, unfortunately. Any help would be very appreciated.
This was a problem with the GP38 created by ace13567 (I think) showing only as black shadows in the turntable.

Nobody found a solution for that as yet??

If no solution exists, can someone help with how to uninstall these locos?

Thanks,

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:02 am

polarhki wrote:
polarhki wrote: So this is still remaining. I searched for "black shadows" as you suggested, but only found that others had exactly the same problem. I didn't find any solution, unfortunately. Any help would be very appreciated.
This was a problem with the GP38 created by ace13567 (I think) showing only as black shadows in the turntable.

Nobody found a solution for that as yet??

If no solution exists, can someone help with how to uninstall these locos?

Thanks,
He never got it finished. It always shows up as Black...don't worry, the single and Dual still work in-game...only in the RoundHouse are they black. You are talking about the CN GP38 right? Those will be black, in the roundhouse. Skin Packs need to be numbered, start with v3 as some trains have a skin v1 and v2.

I think when I first looked at his files I never saw the files that provide light on the model...and they are too bright in-game. They could be edited some day. They are good models and work well as they are. ..so it's just not you.

To remove them you need to look at your Trains.xml list. They can be found in there.

polarhki

Post by polarhki » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:46 am

Lowell wrote: He never got it finished. It always shows up as Black...don't worry, the single and Dual still work in-game...only in the RoundHouse are they black. You are talking about the CN GP38 right? Those will be black, in the roundhouse. Skin Packs need to be numbered, start with v3 as some trains have a skin v1 and v2.

I think when I first looked at his files I never saw the files that provide light on the model...and they are too bright in-game. They could be edited some day. They are good models and work well as they are. ..so it's just not you.

To remove them you need to look at your Trains.xml list. They can be found in there.
Hi Lowell,

thanks for the answer, yes I was talking about the CN GP38, and I have now successfully removed it (cannot really tolerate black shadows in the roundhouse for aesthetics's reasons... )

One final question regarding the GP-7:

There are two versions, one is dual and one not. Both are however named the same in the roundhouse ("EMD GP-7"), and also look the same, as the second locomotive from the dual version is not shown. - How can I change the name shown in the roundhouse for the dual version to, e.g., "EMD GP-7 Dual" ?

Thanks,
polarhki

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:30 am

Yes, the other one is a Dual. We only started making Dual entries for the engines about a year back or so...so the first labels for the engines may not say the word Dual on them.

Most likely we need to go through the whole list of engines and fix anything like that. In the SMRI Update I noticed that several Train engines were not included in the install set. The B Unit for the F series is missing, the 4400 is not in there. I think all train engines need to be installed that we now have on our list with the SMRI set of files. People most likely will not know that they need to get the Train Engines and install them separately, or the maps in SMRI will have missing train engines as it is now. Plus if a map calls for a type engine that isn't in their global list and the map maker only makes a referance to a non-installed engine, it can cause the map to fail and crash, or have red blobs for the missing models.

To me...it looks like the whole SMRI update is missing a lot of material to make it a whole expansion pack for the game. And...yes many things need addressed and renamed...which is no small task.

What everybody has done so far with the SMRI Update is fantastic...and if nothing else is done to it I still love it...what I mean is it would make the install of new engines much easier for the player, if all trains were included in with all the maps in SMRI...seeing as all those maps most likely if they go far enough in the maps calender, will have a missing B unit, Duals, and the 4400.

Because of this I am building my new train engines right into my maps files, even renaming some just to make sure they pop up. Or maybe the map makers should always include the newer engine models and names of trains that may not be in SMRI, that way the player doesn't have to worry about a broke map, or installing a new engine.

polarhki

Post by polarhki » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:16 am

Lowell wrote:Yes, the other one is a Dual. We only started making Dual entries for the engines about a year back or so...so the first labels for the engines may not say the word Dual on them.

Most likely we need to go through the whole list of engines and fix anything like that. In the SMRI Update I noticed that several Train engines were not included in the install set. The B Unit for the F series is missing, the 4400 is not in there. I think all train engines need to be installed that we now have on our list with the SMRI set of files. People most likely will not know that they need to get the Train Engines and install them separately, or the maps in SMRI will have missing train engines as it is now. Plus if a map calls for a type engine that isn't in their global list and the map maker only makes a referance to a non-installed engine, it can cause the map to fail and crash, or have red blobs for the missing models.

To me...it looks like the whole SMRI update is missing a lot of material to make it a whole expansion pack for the game. And...yes many things need addressed and renamed...which is no small task.

What everybody has done so far with the SMRI Update is fantastic...and if nothing else is done to it I still love it...what I mean is it would make the install of new engines much easier for the player, if all trains were included in with all the maps in SMRI...seeing as all those maps most likely if they go far enough in the maps calender, will have a missing B unit, Duals, and the 4400.

Because of this I am building my new train engines right into my maps files, even renaming some just to make sure they pop up. Or maybe the map makers should always include the newer engine models and names of trains that may not be in SMRI, that way the player doesn't have to worry about a broke map, or installing a new engine.

Well, thank you for this general analysis, Lowell. - But still the question is, is there a known (and easy) way to change an engine's name as displayed in the roundhouse?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:56 am

Sure...edit the RRT Trains XML list and rename it. Then on any maps you have...add the newly named version to the scenario's RRT Trains xml list.

Two lists, one in your documents custom assets...XML/ RRT_Trains.xml=Global list

Then inside any maps they have their own ScenarioName_RRT_Trains.xml list...add them in there and it will pop up on that map.

<Train>
<szName>TAG_NAME_GP7</szName>
<Year>1949</Year>
<szManufacturerName>EMD</szManufacturerName>
<szModel>EMD_GP7.kfm</szModel>
<szDummyModel>EMD_GP7_Dummies.nif</szDummyModel>
<szCar>_v2</szCar>
<szNewTrainImage>interface\GP7\event_newtrain_GP7.dds</szNewTrainImage>
<szGroundClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_GROUND</szGroundClackSound>
<szBridgeClackSound>AS3D_CLACK_PLANET_BRIDGE</szBridgeClackSound>
<MaxSpeed>9</MaxSpeed>
<Speed0>9</Speed0>
<Power>18</Power>
<Cost>280000</Cost>
<MaintenanceCost>9000</MaintenanceCost>
<Diesel>1</Diesel>
<RunLength>80</RunLength>
<HasEngineer>0</HasEngineer>
<rgbDefaultColor>65,139,255</rgbDefaultColor>
<fStartSoundCrossFade>2.0</fStartSoundCrossFade>
<fSpeedStartWait>0.25</fSpeedStartWait>
<fSpeedCrossFade>3.0</fSpeedCrossFade>
<iPitchChange>2000</iPitchChange>
<szTenderCar>GP7Dummy</szTenderCar>
<BitmapIcon>
~~snip~~
As you can see the Dual GP7 doesn't "say" dual, yet it has a tender engine attached to it. I would copy the old entry then paste it under the old one then rename the copied version just in case you cause a crash or you get a red blob when it can't find your renamed model.

If you have the SMRI update you will see several enteries with a BR in their name, those are the Basin and Range engines, they take certian cars along with them and have caused some maps to crash and or have issues. Use the Deafult engine names to copy and rename...not those with the BR in them. You may add the BR engines to any maps list of available engines, but if they cause an issue you can just take them out, for the most part I don't see any issue with using them.

I think the grand plan is to go over all train names and maps and have a new SMRI-2 type expansion pack that would have all new engines with a Dual after their names and such.