Looking for help...

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
etime

Looking for help...

Post by etime » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:01 pm

I am trying to edit a passenger car. Where do I find the files that I need to edit? I have a converter but can't find the dds file. Do I need to convert the fpk first? If so what is the recommended program?

Thanks,
E-Time

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:12 pm

The FPK for the Cars is in C:\Program Files\2K Games\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Assets (unless you told it to load elsewhere). Dragon UnPACKer 5 is a good program for this and it's free. For editing the NIF/KFM files, NifSkope works for me.
Just use the UnPACKer to put the files into a folder and edit away. You can use PakBuild.exe to stuff your creation back into a FPK file. The UnPACKer will do this also, but PakBuild is my choice. When you pack it tho, let it place the FPK file in the folder where the files you are packing are. I chose to place it in with the rest of my FPKs and it deleted them out. Nasty... :cry:

:twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

etime

Post by etime » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:15 pm

Thanks,

I'll give that a try and see if I can't make it work.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:21 pm

I've done it with a few cars and Industries, including my recent Cast Iron Car. You just have to watch that when you change names in the Nif and KFMs, that you get all the letters changed. Same goes for the file names. I also tried just leaving the 'steel' in the files that did not seem important, figuring 'the less I change, the less the game has to load as it would be there from the Steel Car'. Didn't work. I had to change the full set. One thing you don't have to play with or include in your resulting FPK is the wheel sets. It has those available elsewhere and does use them.

etime

Post by etime » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:32 pm

I'm hoping I can figure this out. I have dds converter but maybe I need to find a tutorial for the process. *sigh* I'm trying to do a couple of designs for passenger cars if I can figure this out.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:04 pm

A tutorial for what process?
If there is none, make notes as you work and either post the notes here for someone to do a Wiki or do one yourself.

etime

Post by etime » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:44 pm

What's a good program to repack the fpk file?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:31 pm

snoopy55 wrote: You can use PakBuild.exe to stuff your creation back into a FPK file. The UnPACKer will do this also, but PakBuild is my choice.
"stuff your creation back into a FPK file"...translation...to pack or repack into FPK file

PakBuild: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=136023 and for a bit of info: http://planetcivilization.gamespy.com/V ... etail&id=1

Dragon UnPACKer 5: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Programmin ... CKer.shtml