Passenger/Mail Cars from Basin & Range Demo

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
HisAlterEgo

Passenger/Mail Cars from Basin & Range Demo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:52 am

Tried this map today and liked it. The new railcars look better than stock. In order to add these cars to other maps would I just take the car reference from the scenario RRT_Traincars_mapname.xml and copyreplace it to the global RRT_Traincars.xml? I'm guessing I'd have to delete the line to the original car that came with the game so the new reference is the only one? I know it uses a new model so would it be able to access that model from wherever the installer put it? Then once that new reference is in the global, I'd just have to add the same reference to the new map in its RRT_Traincars_mapname.xml?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:00 am

Go into RRT_TrainCars_BasinAndRange.xml and copy the 3 lines under Passenger Car and past them whatever RRT_TrainCars XML file in any map you want in the same place. Save and Enjoy :lol:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:03 am

Cool, thanks. Will try it in the morning.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:51 am

The only thing is if you use the TGA train and use the TGA passenger and mail cars...the game will crash. So if you add the Santa Fe cars to any maps you will be stuck with them. I was going to see if there was not a way in the game where we can say have three or four classes of passenger and mail cars, that when you pull up certain engines those cars would follow. Right now I think the cars are classed type one and type two for steam or diesel. The Santa Fe cars take up both type one and two passenger and mail. I like them as well and use them allot...just remember no TGA or early style cars.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 pm

I also see this map has reference to tendercars for santafeblue_gp38. I suppos this is why no other duals work on this map. If ypu remove this reference will the santafeblue_gp38 still show as a dual in the map?

EDIT:

It also has the Super Chief B Unit Red listed as a TenderCar in the TrainCarsXML How to remove these and still have them as duals, and not crash the game? :D

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:41 pm

When I created Basin and Range Demo, I added the duals and B-unit as generic tenders in the global RRT_TrainCars.xml. But I also added them to the map's RRT_TrainCars_BasinAndRangeDemo.xml because I wanted to use a specific model for the santafeblue_gp38_2.kfm. I believe the global definition used a generic emd_gp38_2.kfm.

If you want to add more tenders to a map, my suggestion (although unpopular) is to add them to your map's RRT_TrainCars_map.xml by copying their name tag from the global RRT_TrainCars.xml.

<TenderCar>
<szName>GP7Dummy</szName>
</TenderCar>

Now the map supports the GP7 dual, so I just have to add it to my RRT_Trains_map.xml and I'll have the dual.

If I want to change the skin of this tender, I just add a line to look like this:

<TenderCar>
<szModel>santafeblue_gp7B.kfm</szModel>
</TenderCar>

Now the GP7 dual will show in the blue and yellowbonnet paint scheme in reverse orientation (gp7B).

I make these changes in my map's TrainCars.xml file so I don't have to change the generic global xml file which will apply the change to all maps using the GP7 dual.

So remember, changes you want applied to all maps go in your global XML files, but changes you only want applied to specific maps go in your map's XML files.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:46 pm

dwax wrote:I also see this map has reference to tendercars for santafeblue_gp38. I suppos this is why no other duals work on this map. If ypu remove this reference will the santafeblue_gp38 still show as a dual in the map?

EDIT:

It also has the Super Chief B Unit Red listed as a TenderCar in the TrainCarsXML How to remove these and still have them as duals, and not crash the game? :D
The quick answers are:
If you remove the TenderCars section from the RRT_TrainCars_BasinAndRange.xml, the tenders should still work if they are defined in your global RRT_TrainCars.xml (which the installer should have done), but the paint on the GP38 dual would be generic, not the Santa Fe Yellowbonnet.
The Super Chief B Unit Red should still show up OK.

I haven't tried this, so these are my assumptions.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:05 pm

Lowell wrote:The only thing is if you use the TGA train and use the TGA passenger and mail cars...the game will crash. So if you add the Santa Fe cars to any maps you will be stuck with them. I was going to see if there was not a way in the game where we can say have three or four classes of passenger and mail cars, that when you pull up certain engines those cars would follow. Right now I think the cars are classed type one and type two for steam or diesel. The Santa Fe cars take up both type one and two passenger and mail. I like them as well and use them allot...just remember no TGA or early style cars.
Each train can pull its own cars. The <szCar>_v1</szCar> in the Trains xml defines which car variation it will pull. The engines released prior to 1900 all pull _v1, and engines released after 1900 pull _v2. The TGV pulls _tgv. So if you create a new passenger car, you need to support all variations, _v1, _v2, and _tgv. I failed to support the _tgv with my Santa Fe passenger cars, so the game crashes if you try to make the TGV pull the new Santa Fe cars. All you would need to do is make the TGV pull _v2 instead of _tgv in the Trains xml.
Then the TGV will be able to pull these cars.

To extend this discussion since Big Papa and I have also thought of expanding the Passenger and Mail services, we had thought of creating different passenger types, like Coach, Business, and Tourist travelers and assign them to different cars like Coach, Sleeper, and Observation cars which all have different profit potentials. We want to model them after the Super Chief cars.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:31 pm

Thanks choobacca. i added this to the Map_trainCarsXML....

<TenderCar>
</TenderCar>
<TenderCar>

And it split the trains up LOL But I got the rest of the duals now. :)
Attachments
B_R_D_Duals.jpg
B_R_D_Duals.jpg (193.1 KiB) Viewed 12173 times

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:47 pm

choobacca said:

Code: Select all

If I want to change the skin of this tender, I just add a line to look like this:

<TenderCar>
</TenderCar>

That never worked. :shock: They stayed the same, but I can live with it, because adding them lines gave me more duals. :)

EDIT:

I even got the new Duals in it now!! :D
Attachments
new_duals.JPG
new_duals.JPG (164.67 KiB) Viewed 12166 times
GP7.JPG
GP7.JPG (180.7 KiB) Viewed 12168 times

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:04 pm

dwax,
You probably don't have the santafeblue_gp7B.kfm model files yet as they weren't included with the B&R demo, but will be included with the B&R v1.0 release (coming soon). So I shouldn't have quoted that example. Sorry.

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:13 pm

Wondered why they wouldn't turn color. I have all the train mods that were released. :lol: And I can't wait until your new mad is out!! :D

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Tue May 01, 2007 2:52 am

I was trying to fiddle with adding the GP38 dual in a map with the Yellow WarBonnett scheme but the model that this map added to the global trains.xml had just generic wording for the train. I just figured since the base model didn't reference the paint scheme that it must be in the map.fpk somewhere and not accessible yet. Now that you explain that the model with paint scheme was never released, it makes sense.

choobacca

Post by choobacca » Tue May 01, 2007 4:01 pm

HisAlterEgo,
The Yellowbonnet was released with the Demo for the GP38, just not the GP7. So you should be able to use the "santafeblue_gp38_2.kfm" file as the model for the GP38 engine. You can either specify this in the map's trains xml file, or set it in the global trains xml file, but then this paint scheme will show for GP38s on all maps, which might not be what you want.

Remember:
edit map's RRT_Trains_mapname.xml for map only
edit global RRT_Trains.xml for all maps

HisAlterEgo

Post by HisAlterEgo » Tue May 01, 2007 9:17 pm

I was hoping to add the yellowbonnet gp38 to maps with the other gp38's and have all variations to use. Are you saying that this would override the others and the only one to show up in any map would be the yellowbonnet?
Intel P4 3.4 Ghz
2 GB DDR2 PC2 4200 SDRAM 533 Mhz
256 MB GeForce 6800 GTO
XP Home