NR Class Loco in Progress, Could Use Some Help

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:10 pm

Where did you get those models?

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:24 pm

Lowell,

Nice ships, I have modeled a container ship up to replace the one we currently have (it still needs paint) but those pictures look really nice.

Big Papa
Attachments
Container-ship.jpg
Container-ship.jpg (49.07 KiB) Viewed 11596 times

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:44 pm

That's a good-looking model.

I made an error in saying that the oil tanker was for export.... it is for import, you get the states oil from an off shore station. The player will have to build a bridge to get to it. I was told that the offshore loading/offloading stations for oil are twenty miles off the coast of Florida...not sure that's what I have been told so far. I was thinking of getting Power Stations to just run on oil and nix the coal.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:19 am

Lowell, and any others interested - here is a site that shows oil tankers, LPG and container ships loading/unloading.

http://www.photohouston.com/port-of-hou ... tures.html
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:49 am

Hey snoopy 55 this would great with your Side To Side with Containers map or basin and range map.

As I mentioned before I think I did why cant we have a train as a ship / container vessel and for the ship / train it uses a modded train track ie nearly invisible track or transparent - invisible bridge etc or something along those lines to travel from one port to the other?

Or something in a xml where it is allready setup and the ship just goes back and forth?

I really need to start playing with graphics but I just don't have the time.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:20 pm

That would be very interesting to try. Can you define additional track types?

But what I want to know is how exactly all this relates to my needing help with my NR Class loco??

:?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:10 pm

:lol: ...talking about tangents...guess we got carried away...

Do you have an OBJ or even a DXF file saved from it? I have the tga files for the PN skin theme. I might be able to see what I can do with it. I may break down and buy a student copy of max this next week I guess. I've said I was going to do that awhile back so maybe it's time...plus max will let me export the stuff into the nif format easy.

EDIT//For those who don't know what a student copy of 3D Max is...you can buy a yearly membership and get the full software, web and tech support the whole nine yards for about $170.00 a year. You have to renew it every year or you can just send them a couple thousand and buy your copy out right at any time. That's a good deal.

EDIT//
Dwax wrote:Rumor has that there are links to get a version Autodesk 3ds Max 8 for nothing.
I always buy all my software. I would never use cracked stuff. Neither should anyone else.
Last edited by Lowell on Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:08 pm

Lowell said

Code: Select all

EDIT//For those who don't know what a student copy of 3D Max is...you can buy a yearly membership and get the full software, web and tech support the whole nine yards for about $170.00 a year. You have to renew it every year or you can just send them a couple thousand and buy your copy out right at any time. That's a good deal.
Rumor has that there are links to get a version Autodesk 3ds Max 8 or 9 for nothing. :D

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:35 pm

Right now I'm in the middle of texture mapping. I think the geomerty is done but of course I won't know for sure until I get it in-game and see how it looks.

Here are my export options, see anything you like?

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:24 pm

Dr Frag what program is the one that says All Formats?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue May 01, 2007 3:09 am

dwax - I think those are the options he has for which type of file to load in. All Formats simple says he'll see all formats in the screen to choose from.

Doc - sounds like you need to figure out what you can load it into and see if there is a converter for it. Or are you asking skinners which way thet want it done in? Figure out how large the ZIP or RAR would be if you did it in all of them, and post it here for downloading and attempting by others.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue May 01, 2007 3:30 am

An OBJ file is fine. I am just about done with the work on the SW1.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Tue May 01, 2007 8:13 pm

What I really need to learn is what things I have to do to the model in 3DS to have it export to a NIF file ready to run in-game. I posted those 3DS export options for Lowell if he wants to play around with it. It appears there are several export options for OBJs so if you want different ones let me know.

Attachments
NR_Class.rar
NR Class loco model
(78.65 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue May 01, 2007 8:39 pm

Doc, look into this site:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=195073

it's NIF library and tool for MAX 5 - 9

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Wed May 02, 2007 6:12 am

Yes, I have the plugin but right now when I export my model I get about 1/3rd the data a normal SMR NIF file has and it won't load into the game without a CTD. I have to manually add all the rest of the info into the NIF to get it to work. I'm sure I have to add more material(texture) settings for example and the alpha channel needs to be attached because I'm not getting texture transparency around the trucks, couplers, and stuff. I'd love to take a class in this but I haven't found one local yet. Plus I don't get to use the computer with 3DS on it that much. I'd love to be able to get my hands on that student version, I could handle the $170 a year deal. It's hard to justify four grand (even if I could afford it) for something that I don't use professionally.