emd_GP38_2W

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am

Pretty cool looking engines but the ghostly black versions in the roundhouse had me worried for a bit :D

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:51 am

Great stuff thanks for that.

Same as the others - black in the roundhouse - spooky as you said beta

I also added <Year>1800</Year> to show up at the start of the game.

Forgot to add I like the dual train both facing the same direction - justs look right to me and I know as discussed dual trains can come in many configs in the real world.

More train mods - gives more future for this game.

:D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:05 am

Couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time trying to get doubles, I had been taking the old trains XML and putting them in a "temp" file in the map folder for back up. I tried removing the temp folder and I now have my duals! :lol: the game was reading the old trains XML, and no matter what I did it wouldn't read the new one :shock: :lol:

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:28 am

Well, I have the same problem or a similar problem. All 3 show up in the roundhouse(blacked out) and all 3 show up in game when I buy them but none of them are doubled up. All my steamers have tenders and I have the rest of the diesel doubles but these don't show up as doubles. :?

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 am

please disregard the above post. xml files got the best of me again :( ....till I figured out what went wrong :?

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:38 am

I also have that problem CeeBee51, but not in this map. Some all I get is the singles,this game is pretty touchy. Can't figgure out why I have only singles in some and not in others. :shock: :roll:

ace13567

Post by ace13567 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:17 am

K-class wrote:Great stuff thanks for that.

Same as the others - black in the roundhouse - spooky as you said beta

I also added <Year>1800</Year> to show up at the start of the game.

Forgot to add I like the dual train both facing the same direction - justs look right to me and I know as discussed dual trains can come in many configs in the real world.

More train mods - gives more future for this game.

:D
id have to agree to me most of the trains dont look right when there facing opposate directions but i went with that because thats how the picture was that i modled the train after that youve seen in the first post

and ya this is actually the first thing ive ever tryed to model something for anything so its just gonna take some time to get the rest of the texture to work (mainley the roundhouse) im hopeing to eventualy inprove the texture aswell because as you probabley noticed the diff texture isent highley detaled

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:33 am

In real you would think that one engine facing forward and the other back word would cause a problem. Can a train go 60mph in reverse? :lol:

K-class

Post by K-class » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:45 am

Yeah but is that train go to or coming from if its shipping between two points?
:D :D
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:55 am

I live a few hundred feet from the Canadian Pacific mainline with a wide open view looking down hill and I see trains going by all day long(when I'm not at work) ;)
There is no set way as the only guarantee is the lead engine facing frontwards. Most trains have 2 engines up front but some have 3 or more and they run nose to tail , tail to tail, nose to nose to tail or some other combo and with more than 3 engines it's really a crapshoot. Modern diesels can run backwards as easily as forwards and since no one is riding in the cab the direction just doesn't matter except for the lead unit. :)

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:46 pm

Anyone know why the engines are all different sizes? I have the 3 GP38's and they are all different sizes. The ones that ace13567 made are the smallest then the SantaFe blue are next in line the GP38 default are the largest. if you get the default along side of the gp38-2W. it looks huge! :lol:

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:25 pm

Here is a little bit of info on how most modern diesels work:

http://www.railfanclub.org/trainlessLOCO.asp
"It would be impossible to have the diesel engine deliver the power directly, like with an automobile drive-train. Cars rely on transmissions to drive power evenly to the wheels. Yet with large locomotives, such giant transmissions would require scores of huge gears, and ultimately more trouble with reliability and maintenance. The gearbox would have to handle up to 6,000 horsepower!
Diesel-electrics do something ingenious. They generate huge amounts of electric energy and use that generated energy to drive the wheels. That is why they are called diesel-electric or hybrid locomotives. So railroad locomotives use a diesel engine to generate huge amounts of electric power, and then use the electric power to run individual motors at each wheel. So what we really have is a combination of a large diesel engine, a generator, and many smaller electric engines.
By going with a hybrid setup, the main diesel engine can run at its most efficient speeds, turning an electrical generator. The electric generator sends power to a traction motor at each axle. The axel then powers the wheels. The traction motors can produce adequate torque at any speed, from a complete stop to speeds beyond 100 mph, without needing to change gears. "

So forward or backward, doesn't matter. Like Ceebee51 said, the front engine is the only one that will be 99% of the time facing forward, the others are just a flip of the coin. They do this for visibility. There are special steam engines the Southern Pacific used at the end of steam that actually had the cab in the front, "Cab Forward". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cab_forward
The engines like the GP-7 were know to be run with the long nose forward when the first came out, probably because the guys running steam were accustomed to that.

Big Papa

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:19 pm

This is also the reason you can find odd looking engines in yards and sometimes on the main. One yard in Chicago has about a dozen A-B switchers in its yard. The first generates the power. That power is used for itself and for the B unit which, inplace of an engine/generator, has concrete blocks or some other form of weight. Only the motors are still there, and they get power from the A unit. I've seen pics of diesels with the tops cut off and then filled with concrete, poured in. Some B units are only as high as a low nose diesel, front to back. These are one reason I'm trying to get eiliweens SW1s uploaded to the forum.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:32 pm

Out in the mountains like in Utah, Nevada,California they have pusher engines. Its great to watch them. :D Wish we could do that on maps, like when a train climes up a hill or mountain it would come up from behind and push the train. :)

Big Papa

Post by Big Papa » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:34 pm

snoopy55,
I believe you are referring to a "slug"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slug_%28railroad%29

dwax,
I've seen them in the middle of the train & on the end. It's pretty impressive. Seen this in Colorado along I-70 through Glennwood Canyon. Also in Utah there is a city named "Helper" because of this. They have a 2.4% grade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helper%2C_Utah

Big Papa