A pushing train possible?

Develop, share and download custom trains and rolling stock
gforce

A pushing train possible?

Post by gforce » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:45 am

would it be possible to create a train that pushes instead of pulling the cars. it would be great to have such a feature in a map...
8)
Attachments
wallpaper3.jpg
wallpaper3.jpg (702.64 KiB) Viewed 14753 times

atani

Re: A pushing train possible?

Post by atani » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:55 am

gforce wrote:would it be possible to create a train that pushes instead of pulling the cars. it would be great to have such a feature in a map...
8)
That would be cool, but I don't think it is possible :( Another type of engine which would be cool to see is:

The Shay engines :)

http://www.ymsprr.com/sightsnsounds.html
http://www.shaylocomotives.com/

Mike

K-class

Post by K-class » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:24 am

WOW that is ugly who would want that. Looks like a plumbers nightmare

:shock:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:47 pm

After five minutes of wondering around that site I found this: http://www.shaylocomotives.com/data/lim ... n-2548.htm
Its from the small town I lived in before I moved to Calgary about 1 year ago.

recca421

Post by recca421 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:32 pm

K-class wrote:WOW that is ugly who would want that. Looks like a plumbers nightmare

:shock:
These are damn fun to run in Trainz, although there aren't nearly enough examples of the design available for download. I too would love to see one converted over for use in SMRR!, even though it's only 2' gauge.

I assume SMRR takes some liberties with track gauges, as the Iron Duke just happens to run on 7' track, and from all appearances the Consolidation, Mogul were mainly available in 3' or 3' 6" (the standard is 4' 8.5" I believe.)

and if we're working in full gauge, where are the cab-forwards and the 2-8-8-2 Mallets etc? And I want a power-car for the F-series, as well as a caboose on every consist!

Cheers,
Recca421
-------------
The towels . . . the mysterious towels . . . the towels of destiny . . . Suzy's towels . . .
-------------

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:01 pm

K-class wrote:WOW that is ugly who would want that. Looks like a plumbers nightmare
Ugly, yes, but they worked hard. They were mainly narrow gauge and all mountain. They weren't made for speed, just heavy hauling. Some had gears between the wheels and a gear-notched rail ran up the middle of the tracks on steep runs. They are beautiful to watch, and I'd love to get on one :D
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

K-class

Post by K-class » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:20 pm

Yeah I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder. After all its a train and we love trains don't we.

Yep totally agree we need more variety and maybe a ideal scenario in a map is to use a certain type of train to haul the goods and only that type ( I always try to get the GP series as quick as possible) but that may not be what is intended or how you should play a game.
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.0GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
XFX NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Mobo
4GB DR2-1066 (PC-8500)
Geforce GTX 460 graphics card 1024 MB GDDR5

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:46 pm

If I'm not mistaken, and I could be, the map could be started in the mid 50's and set for 32 or 64 speed and all diesel.

And yes, I'm wanting to see a few SW type for fetching goods. Find a style that with minor changes can be made into another SW engine.

Go onto Auran's TRAINZ site (Aarrg, the competitor :twisted: ) and you can see various engine types on one site.

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:45 pm

snoopy55 wrote: Go onto Auran's TRAINZ site (Aarrg, the competitor :twisted: ) and you can see various engine types on one site.
Competitor only in the fact they both involve trains. SMR is a strategy game and Trainz evolved in the sim direction. Too bad Auran never followed through with their original module idea and did the boss module or some of the others that would have involved finances, goals etc.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:44 am

I picked up Trainz for $5 figuring it would be great. Got onto the forum and started downloading all that great stuff :D . Then I was given Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006. WOW!!! GREAT STUFF!!! until I downloaded my first map... if you need 50 items to finish the map (they aren't all there) about 60% have to be PAID FOR at $5, $10, $15 and up. I still have it, but I don't waste my time as I don't have that kind of money to waste...

They do have some nice engines to download....wonder if they can be converted to SMR type........

recca421

Post by recca421 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:26 am

snoopy55 wrote:I picked up Trainz for $5 figuring it would be great. Got onto the forum and started downloading all that great stuff :D . Then I was given Trainz Railroad Simulator 2006. WOW!!! GREAT STUFF!!! until I downloaded my first map... if you need 50 items to finish the map (they aren't all there) about 60% have to be PAID FOR at $5, $10, $15 and up. I still have it, but I don't waste my time as I don't have that kind of money to waste...

They do have some nice engines to download....wonder if they can be converted to SMR type........
Actually, an enormous amount of freeware content (especially steam content) is available now both from their Download Station and from various third-party sites. I should also stress that I avoid downloading other people's routes at all costs - and if you don't buy yourself a First Class Ticket for the download station (a year's ticket is dirt cheap though, and nets you a decent speed).

They had a massive database corruption on their site around November or so, and had to start both the DLS and forums from scratch - this seems to have encouraged a lot of the payware owners to release their locos as freeware instead.

Anyhoo, enough of this babbling, I got a route that needs building ;)

Cheers,
Recca421
-------------
The towels . . . the mysterious towels . . . the towels of destiny . . . Suzy's towels . . .
-------------

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:05 pm

recca421 - thanks for the info. If I you guys ever bore me I can go back to that........now where did I put those 4 CDs of downloads......

CeeBee51

Post by CeeBee51 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:09 am

snoopy55 wrote:recca421 - thanks for the info. If I you guys ever bore me I can go back to that........now where did I put those 4 CDs of downloads......
Only 4 cd's? ;) I probably have 30 cd's of beta versions, downloads and other stuff. I still have TRS06 on my drive along with a few gigs of downloads but I finally burned myself out after over 5 years of beta testing and playing way too many hours :roll: I'm pretty sure one of these days I'll get the urge to finish my remake of the Highland Valley but for now I'm quite content to mess around with SMR though if Firaxis doesn't do anything more with the game it's a tossup how long this will remain to be fun.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:57 am

I really quit because the week before my download privliges were to stop I downloaded 10 or 12 maps which is when it really hit me about that paying for things needed to play them. I think alot of it may still be on my server......

recca421

Post by recca421 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:47 pm

I find making my own routes to be a lot more fun, and if/when i ever release them, at least 75% of the content of each will be available from the DLS, and the other stuff will be freeware assetts from creator's sites.

Looking at how much I *could* have spent on building a model railroad, even if I DID let the payware authore nickle-n-dime me out of my hard-earned money, it would still be a bargain compared even to building a coffee-table sized layout. $200+ each for brass trains and detailed rolling stock is not my idea of a good way to spend my leisure money.
-------------
-------------