Question about maps and map sizes

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
attackdog

Question about maps and map sizes

Post by attackdog » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:50 pm

Hi, I am wondering about map and map sizes. The maps that come with the game are fairly small, and pretty easy to complete the missions set. And I noticed with some of the mods, that the maps don't seem to be any bigger, rather the stations seem closer together.

So I am wondering if it is actually possible to change the map size itself and being able to keep the stations a fair amount of distance apart. Example instead of using say a 16x16 map can you make a map that is 32x32. I must add that I am not a modder and have not modded before so excuse me if this sounds dumb or I have missed something somewhere.

Also is it at all possible to add more AI players? I would love a massive map something like the UK but covering the whole of the UK with a UK shaped map. So you could make a route from say Scotland to London as it would seem on any real map/atlas.

I know in certain games like Heroes of Might and Magic it has a map generator which allows for custom map sizes ranging from small to impossible which doesn't just bundle stuff closer together to make it look bigger, is there a map generator for this game which does the same kind of thing?

Thanks for reading and again sorry if this is to out of whack.

karsten

Re: Question about maps and map sizes

Post by karsten » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 am

I think Rodea's Borneo map is 24x24, that seems to be the limit that is currently possible, and he used a couple of tricks to get that far.
It is all down to the skill of the map maker to generate enjoyable larger maps, and some do generate quite a good feel of distance and achievement once you have managed to make the required connections. Utah is one that comes to mind, and there are several others.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm

There is no auto-map generator. All customer maps are Created and Edited by hand with a few tools. Number of players seems to be maxed at 4. Maps do not scale from one size to another. They would have to be manually created in the larger scale, which takes up more RAM, which bogs down some machines.

This wiki entry may explain a bit more:
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

attackdog

Post by attackdog » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I understand the problem with larger maps, Heroes of Might and Magic would get insanely slow on the extra large and impossible size maps.

I think I will check out Borneo and Utah maps.