New users cannot make new topics [OUTDATED][IGNORE]

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Warll

Re: New users cannot make new topics

Post by Warll » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:26 pm

Sorry RailroadTycoon (I'm surprised that name wasn't already taken)but i haven't heard of that problem before. PErhaps someone else has, you'd be presently surprised how knowledgeable the community is, I know I often am.

kingy75

Post by kingy75 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:33 am

Hi,

I'm a human, please approve me.

Thanks.

GeneralRed

Post by GeneralRed » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm not a bot and I'd like the right of speaking :P
Remember kids, if someone asks you if you're Team Jacob or Team Edward, you have permission to beat them senseless with a Harry Potter book...And then steal their money ~ rawr apples

billw

Post by billw » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:06 am

I am not a spammer.

Thanks!

billw

Re: New users cannot make new topics, and a question

Post by billw » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:34 am

Hello,

I'm not a spammer, so please approve me.

I also have a a few questions, and forgive me if its been answered or is obvious. I'm somewhat new to SMR, but not to RRT-II. In any case, this is really two questions, but both somewhat related.

1) When routing, I've read several post (some by you Warll) that the best strategy is to dedicate ONE track with ONE train per resource/city, and minimize crossovers. That's good advice, but I guess the conflict I see is that (and I guess what one's ultimate goal of the game is) it doesn't make for a very realistic game. What I mean is that there would be a LOT of trains and a LOT of track ran all over, almost in a spaghetti kind of way.

It seems like SMR did try to control the AI routing of trains sharing common track (using judiciously placed crossovers and sidings) by choosing the appropriate priority levels, and it seems to initially work OK. However, after you're into the scenario for a while, you then start to have head to head conflicts, especially with high priority passenger traffic, mostly in cities with multiple stop and go/through traffic. I tried to apply enough routing options, but what you think should work, doesn't in the game.

I guess the question is that, is their a limit to the number of trains (and laid track) that can be in operation at one time?

2) Related to the first question, I am a bit confused on freight loading and how its distributed. In the manual, the example only talks about having a raw material resource (i.e. cows) in one city. transferring it to another city for processing (i.e. cows to food), and sending it (i.e. food) on to another city. I tried to load 8 loads the "food" from the processing city, and make the destination accept 4 loads. I also wanted a 3rd city on the same line take 4 more loads.

Now (I guess in the real world) you would think that if I put 8 car loads of food on a consist, and only demand 4 loads on the 1st of two cities, that 1st city would only accept 4 loads, and then have 4 remaining loads for the next city.

However, that is not the case, because no matter what I do, the number of loads I ship out of the processing city is consumed by the 1st city, and leaves nothing for the 2nd city.

My question here is what am I doing wrong? Is shipping resources to more than one city not possible?

And that also relates to the first question. To feed multiple cities, to I have to run dedicated rail and trains from each processing city to each individual destination?

Thanks again for you patience. These may be dumb questions, but it's making my gray hair grayer.

Bill

This was re-posed on the Strategy forum.

Red

Post by Red » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:34 pm

I am also not a bot, because I felt sad at the end of Land Before Time.

Since this forum has been around for a lot longer than my interest in Railroads! has (and a lot longer than my sudden interest in being part of this forum community as opposed to being a rare Sojourner), is there a High scores thread, or one where people posted their highest on the Hall of Fame?
billw wrote: And that also relates to the first question. To feed multiple cities, to I have to run dedicated rail and trains from each processing city to each individual destination?
There is no way to restrain cities from unloading a specific amount of goods from a train apart from the full amount carried. While in real life it would make sense for a train to load up 6 cars of wood, and drop off two cars each to three cities before about facing and going for another run, that's not how it works in SMR.
A route such as my example would require a 2 car stop at the wood place
City 1
the wood place
City 2
the wood place
City 3.
No way around it :|

greeneg

Post by greeneg » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:27 pm

I absolutely guarantee that I am human and not a robot.

Ed Green

n612ua

Post by n612ua » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:05 am

I am not a bot. I just found this game yesterday I like it so far. I figure I will have questions sometime.

hubbert

Post by hubbert » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:46 am

I can assure you i am not a spammer or a robot

ROLLER

Post by ROLLER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:15 pm

I am NOT a robot, and NOT a spammer! :)

ROLLER

Post by ROLLER » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm very sure that I'm not a robot or spammer. So you can be sure too :)

ROLLER

Post by ROLLER » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:37 pm

hubbert wrote:I can assure you i am not a spammer or a robot
Same for me!

Jzzz

Jzzz is not a robot

Post by Jzzz » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm

At first I AM NOT A ROBOT!!! :shock: and NOT A SPAMMER!!! :shock: I run Windows 7 64 bit and like to play Sid Meiers's railroads. :!:

Lee71

Post by Lee71 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 am

Hello,
New to Railroads! but a huge fan of the original Railroad Tycoon. I'm joining to learn more about the game and what people are doing to modify and keep the game alive.
I'm not a bot or spammer.
Thanks,
Lee

sdworkman

Post by sdworkman » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:33 am

I am not a spammer please approve me.

Thx,