Server Error

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
slider38

Server Error

Post by slider38 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Hi Guys, I tried to post a small how-to today. When I tried to upload a jpg file as an illustration, I got an error from the server. I hope someone will read this and fix the problem, but there doesn't seem to be much activity on this site. Slider

Warll

Re: Server Error

Post by Warll » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:32 pm

try uploading the file again. So long as it is under the file size it should work.

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:36 pm

test
Attachments
front.jpg

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 am

Seems to be fixed... :P

Warll

Post by Warll » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:07 pm

"but there doesn't seem to be much activity on this site."

Yeah that's only the forum. The Map DB averages about 150 downloads a day. Since we haven't had a new map in a while the addition of your map should plus that up a bit. Don't worry plenty of people will play your map*.

*I don't have per map statistics, only site wide, but it should get plenty. Since we have so few active mappers maps stay up on the front page for month on end so it will get a boat load of downloads.

In the past 30 days alone we've had 6.6k visitors, ~50k pageviews and 5.5k downloads. :D

karsten

Activity on the forum

Post by karsten » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:51 am

A major reason why there are fewer comments in the map threads than in the recent past (ie since early 2010) is that people find it difficult to locate the original map discussion thread (in "Maps in Development"), especially for maps that were last discussed more than 3 months back. New users will not even be aware of the discussion thread for a given map :(

One solution could be to provide - as maps are posted in the "Map Database" - a prominently visible link back to the original discussion thread of each map. Everyone could then easily read the previous comments and would be stimulated to add their own.

Map comments are very important to mapmakers, since the user comments are the only reward they get for all their hard work. :D

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:16 pm

The problem I see with that is the age of most threads. I can't imagine something more confusing than running across say, utah's thread after one has been to the map DB. In may cases there are ~7 pages of obsolete bug reports and user help that someone would need to wad through just to get to the SAM era.

Your point about comments is an important one though. In this case though I think commenting in the map DB is a better solution. People are much more likely to make a comment since they do not need to register. As well by having the comments in the DB other new users are much more likely to see them.