Train Routes

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
SeaTan

Train Routes

Post by SeaTan » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:28 am

Is it possible to route a train via a different part? In other words, if I have two rail paths connecting 2 cities (tracks arent parallel to one another - rather one is longer and more roundabout than the other), is there a way to direct some trains to take the longer route, whilst others take the shorter one? This would help save from congestion.

Is something like this possible? How do I do it?

Thanks

Warll

Re: Train Routes

Post by Warll » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 am

Not really.

You can sort of fake it by restricting the available tracks, but such a solution is nih impractical.

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:09 pm

SeaTan wrote:... is there a way to direct some trains to take the longer route, whilst others take the shorter one? This would help save from congestion. ...
2 ways, SeaTan -- have an extra stop in one path, and use that stop when you setup/change the train's consist (forcing the train to take that path), and a different stop in the other path. The other way to deal with congestion is to use only LH or only RH crossovers between the two paths - that way, trains will be diverted to their own "direction-of-travel" track.
PM me if you need more.

Btw - your SMR crashes have been fixed now?

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Say you have connected two towns A and C. Then as long as there is a resource point B between them, you can set your one train to go ABC. If the other route is A, D, C, with D a different resource point, you can direct trains to take the ADC route. As long as there is no demand for the train goods at C or D, the trains do not lose their cargo.

This way, both trains can start from the same single station track in A and in C, and yet are forced to take different routes.

A refinement of this is the "eye"-shaped track, where about six trains can be forced to circle from A to C north track and back C to A south track, without ever colliding, and using only a single station track in both station A and C. :D

Uh oh - I see Keotaman beat me with the answer. :lol: