SMR! 2 Petition

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
LoneBoy

SMR! 2 Petition

Post by LoneBoy » Fri May 07, 2010 5:22 pm

Should we write a petition for SMR! 2.. I think that would be a great idea, and great game, cuz this type of game is unique, at least in mainstream. What do u think?

Warll

Re: SMR! 2 Petition

Post by Warll » Sat May 08, 2010 6:08 am

That would slow down Civilization V if it succeeded.

SMR bombed financially I think we'll see a sequal in time but not for a while.

The best way to improve our chances for a sequel is to create a market for one. A petition can at best show support it is very ineffective at creating support.

A "Cult-Following", "Untapped demand" are the keywords we want people to think of when they think of making a sequel.

Greybriar

Post by Greybriar » Sun May 09, 2010 2:59 am

Warll wrote:That would slow down Civilization V if it succeeded....
Since Steam will be required to play Civ5, I could care less since I won't be buying it.

Other than the Civilization franchise, Firaxis hasn't done too well that I can see--neither Railroads! nor Colonization sold as well as they could have. 2K isn't making matters any better.

justme

Post by justme » Sun May 09, 2010 5:24 am

Greybriar wrote:Since Steam will be required to play Civ5, I could care less since I won't be buying it.
I just looked into this and I have to agree. An internet connection will be required to even play CIV5! This may be fine for someone like me with a hi-speed cable connection, but people like my brother who lives out in the sticks and is only connected to the internet thru the slowest possible phone connection, no, not so good.
And then you would have map makers that have to go online every time they want to test a mod?
I'm on Charter, and when they go thru a large upgrade of systems, they may shut down for hours at night. I'm sure other systems do this now and then too.
And with jobs like they are, finding a $10 hard copy just for something to do, and you cannot afford internet, that kind of screws it for a number of people these days.

One other fear I would have as far as a version 2 of SMR would be like Midway did when they came out with UT3. Materials from UT2K4 are not compatible. A lot has been done here with SMR and it would be a shame to loose it all for a better working version.

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue May 11, 2010 12:09 am

All the recent Valve games also require Steam. But they can all be played without steam using "alternative" binaries. The same will be the case for Civ5 as it is already for many games that try and require Steam.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue May 11, 2010 12:57 am

My problem is not so much with Steam, I would not ever think to buy a game without having my own disc.
Problem is that Civilization is not a civilization strategy game, it is becoming more and more a gigantic battle field, with more and bigger battles and so on.
It is forgotten that Genghis Khan or Napoleon destroyed more civilizations than anybody built.
They were only important in history to be an instrument to push the civilized people to get organized so that such calamity would not occur again.
Wars are only important as an instrument to push human progress towards the ultimate peace. (Not in our lifetime!!) :mrgreen:
Jancsika

jayo

Post by jayo » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

But both SMR and Civ did quite well, and both have been well received by many game review sites. I can honestly say that I think we are more likely to get an SMR 2 in the near future than any more fixes, etc for SMR. Since quite a bit of things have changed since SMR, SMR 2 probably might not be backwards compatible. On the other hand, a fresh start would be alright. Maybe SMR 2 might be more like a real RR Tycoon 4!

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:01 pm

Greybriar wrote:Since Steam will be required to play Civ5, I could care less since I won't be buying it.
Fully agree! :( :evil:

justme

Post by justme » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:17 pm

Well, as it turns out Steam is not required to 'Play' CIV5, but only to activate the code. After that you do not need Steam anymore. And you can buy it in stores, you just need, as I said, to activate it.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:09 pm

This is the Amazon Costumer's review.
Is it an other SMR or Spores??? :D
Attachments
Railroads.jpg
Civ5.jpg

alanwuha007

Post by alanwuha007 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:40 am

yup. if you do realy wanna make it come true.
and what's ya new idea? and whacha gonna do?