Saves That Won't Load

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
kentonm

Saves That Won't Load

Post by kentonm » Mon May 03, 2010 7:06 am

I've become quite frustrated with saves that won't load. Why the extreme difference in save sizes between auto save and player save? Frequently it doesn't matter because neither save will load. Thoughts and help is appreciated.

Warll

Re: Saves That Won't 載

Post by Warll » Mon May 03, 2010 10:16 am

The auto save is so much larger because very little compression is done on it, or at least thats what one of the game's devs said :lol:

They should both load, have you happened to install a different map between saving/loading?

Ok scratch that sometimes the game needs multiple tires at loading a save.

kentonm

Re: Saves That Won't Load

Post by kentonm » Tue May 04, 2010 3:02 am

Thanks for the advice! A couple of times it took four or more attempts to load a save, but I finally finished the game.

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 am

In my experience, this is map-specific, happens with some user maps. A solution that always works for me: start a new game with the scenario whose save won't load. Then from the new game, load the save. Easy and efficient 8)

kentonm

Post by kentonm » Sun May 09, 2010 4:07 am

I'll try loading the game as originally loaded then try loading the save. If that works it's a bit easier than loading the save multiple times. Thanks for the tip.

karsten

Post by karsten » Sun May 09, 2010 5:15 pm

kentonm wrote:I'll try loading the game as originally loaded then try loading the save. If that works it's a bit easier than loading the save multiple times. Thanks for the tip.
I forgot to mention explicitly that in the map selection screen, it may be necessary to switch to left and right maps and back to center before attempting to load a fresh copy of the map. That seems to clear the SMR "memory", which prevents it from loading all the necessary components needed for the saved game. I got that tip from Lowell.

And just to deepen the mystery, a map that consistently refuses to load may load perfectly once you replay with a fresh version of the map. :D