Making Standard Maps More Difficult/Longer Lasting

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Bleser

Making Standard Maps More Difficult/Longer Lasting

Post by Bleser » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello!

There are tons of great modded maps out there, but part of me likes to just keep playing the "stock" in-box maps.

I've done (or am going to do) some basic things to make these more challenging/realistic. I already play on Robber Baron/Hard Routing.

Here is what I have/will do:
  • Decreased maintenance costs on all diesel/electric engines by 1/4 to "make sense" to move to them from steam. Reduced speed of most of them, especially the GP series (120MPH GP is nuts).
  • Reduced passenger/mail production rate in all towns/cities/metros by 1/2.
  • Reduced passenger/mail "storage" cap by 1/2.
  • Plan to increase bridge/tunnel building cost by 10x (or more!).
Are there any other basic things you all have done? I haven't tried the bridge/tunnel cost mod yet but my intention is to prevent stupid-looking AI railroads with bridges being 2/3 of their overall layouts. This could cripple them so I'll have to play with it.

Does anyone have a link to a strategy guide that describes how the sim computes passenger/mail values? Playing on the above settings made my average passenger delivery only about $8K and mail about $4K, which is almost too low.

Warll

Re: Making 規 Maps More 難/Longer Lasting

Post by Warll » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:50 pm

This might be the closet thing there is: http://smrsimple.com/wiki/index.php?tit ... :Resources

Jancsika

Re: Making Standard Maps More Difficult/Longer Lasting

Post by Jancsika » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

There are tons of great modded maps out there, but part of me likes to just keep playing the "stock" in-box maps.

I've done (or am going to do) some basic things to make these more challenging/realistic. I already play on Robber Baron/Hard Routing.
First and simple you can yourself take a stock map, change the terrain, (In the Terrain Editor) change the scenario goals, RRT_Scenario_Mapname.XML. (XML editor, or text editor), also in the Terrain Editor you can drag the cities to new locations. You can also do it in the RRT_Cities_Mapname.xml file by changing the X/Y coordinates.

I have done just that recently with the “Alternate France” “Alternate UK” “Alternate Balkans” maps. You can look at them what can be done.
As for the trains. There was a lot of discussions about them, and we know that a larger number means better performance. It really can be done by trial and error. You can change the date of manufacturing, cost, maintenance and performance.
With the tunnel and bridge cost and appearance, I am with you. I normally up 100X the cost of the tunnels and steel bridges.
Now I hope that all the modifications you doing are placed in C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\UserMaps folder.
Passenger and mail values depends on the distance hauled, but I don’t think anybody effectively deciphered them.
I have thrown at you a lot of ifs and possibilities, so if you have more questions just ask. :wink:
Jancsika

I will move this thread to the "Mods Talk" thread