FAQ Discussion.

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Jancsika

FAQ Discussion.

Post by Jancsika » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:04 pm

This is a new discussion thread, for the new FAQ.
Here everybody can post a proposed subject, here it can be discussed, amended, corrected and the final version will be moved to the FAQ page.

Next few days I will start a new FAQ page, it will be Sticky and will have nothing else but a Question and an Answer explaining the solution of the problem.
For the time being they will placed in no particular order.
Later when we have enough material to group them by subject I can always edit them.
Here is the first one:

HOW TO PLACE NEW INDUSTRY IN MY MAP

First you should start with a clean C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory.
Delete the whole C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory, then start a new stock game. The game automatically will create a new C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! directory.
Then go into Terrain Editor and create a new Map. The map will be in the "UserMaps" folder.

Here I am assuming that you have an Industry designed and ready to be placed.
It should have all the necessary graphic components the FPK file or the individual graphic files(Nif,Tga,Dds,Kfm ).
Also the corresponding XML file that will give the program the commands,as what to do with those graphic files.
Place the FPK file (or the graphic detalis files) in the "UserMaps" folder, and add the GOOD NAME.XLM to the Industry.XLM file.

If the industry is an "in the city" industry" that's all you have to do.
If the industry is a field industry (mine, farm) you will need a Depot (it is called Annex in the game) for the train to load.

Here again it is the same procedure.
You will have to place the proper FPK file in the UserMaps directory, and the Annex.XLM into the Depots folder.

If this is the first custom Annex, you might not have a Depot folder, then you have to create one. The folder name should be RRT_Depots_MAPNAME.XML
Here you have to list ALL the Annexes, Depot, Station, Terminal as a “one liner”, for example:
<Depot>
<szName>Coal Mine Annex</szName>
</Depot>
and add the complete XLM of the new annex.

Also check the RRT_Scenario_User_Mapname.XLM file. Be sure to have reference to the Depot folder that you just created. If not you have to add this line to the RRT_Scenario_User_Mapname.XLM file:
<DepotsXMLFile>RRT_Depots_France.xml</DepotsXMLFile>

And of course you will need "Goods" and TrainCars" to have the whole thing working.

darthdroid

Re: FAQ Discussion.

Post by darthdroid » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:20 am

The only thing I think we should consider is:

Having 2 separate FAQs or have 2 major sections of 1 FAQ. I think one should be dedicated to Modding issues (how to add industries, how to install SAMs, etc.

And a 2nd one devoted to game play itself. eg: "How do I fix a train that does x" or "What makes a village grow to a town to a city to a metrop?" etc...

It seems logical to separate the 2 as some people don't really play much, they just mod... so to have game play questions mixed in with mod questions seems like it might be inefficient. Likewise, some people JUST play and never mod and thus to have them sift through countless modding questions to find out how to delete a station during a game would be less helpful than if we have 2 FAQs as described or again just 2 major categories within the FAQ.

Just a thought :)
-Bob the Lunatic

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:15 pm

How about this?
1. Technical Questions.
2. Modding and Mapmaking
3. Strategy and Gameplay (Hosted by Darthroid)

I am serious! :wink:
Jancsika

darthdroid

Post by darthdroid » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Jancsika wrote:How about this?
1. Technical Questions.
2. Modding and Mapmaking
3. Strategy and Gameplay (Hosted by Darthroid)

I am serious! :wink:
Jancsika

Yes, that looks like a very good breakdown for the bold organization of an FAQ and I'm happy to work hard on the 3rd part and I'll do my best to shorten my answers more than usual for simplicity :lol:
-Bob the Lunatic

Burlington_Northern_3140

Post by Burlington_Northern_3140 » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:59 am

Looks good so far.
Thomas
THANK YOU FOR BRINGING US RULES FORUM MODERATORS!
Whoops! I need to stop that drooling over everyones mods. Where are the paper towels?

http://www.homescda.com/

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:46 pm

If you have not looked at the FAQ Strategy and Game-play thread, you should.
Darthroid is producing an excellent series of very important answers to questions that were asked here over and over again.

I hope that many of you who promised to contribute to this project will use this as an example and will do the same.
Jancsika