Whats new??

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
atani

Whats new??

Post by atani » Mon May 25, 2009 11:21 pm

So whats new in the last few months of inactivity on my part? I have seen some failed attempts at creating a new installer system, Snoopy finally got SAMs out, a few new maps that look somewhat interesting...

Any new patches, maps etc that should be considered "must have" ?

Rodea2007

Re: Whats new??

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:59 am

atani wrote:So whats new in the last few months of inactivity on my part? I have seen some failed attempts at creating a new installer system, Snoopy finally got SAMs out, a few new maps that look somewhat interesting...

You can try my map The Island Of Sodor or Quad City Lake in Winter where they are come with the installer that you and Dr. Frag create..... :). Thank you for that installer program
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

rencis79

Post by rencis79 » Tue May 26, 2009 7:50 am

I played both maps and liked them a lot - especially The Island Of Sodor. Too bad its crushing for me to often. Lake in Winter works just fine, but Sodor isle crushing :( dont know whats the problem there. I installed them both as Rodea2007 said in instructions.

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:17 am

rencis79 wrote:I played both maps and liked them a lot - especially The Island Of Sodor. Too bad its crushing for me to often. Lake in Winter works just fine, but Sodor isle crushing :( dont know whats the problem there. I installed them both as Rodea2007 said in instructions.
As to Karsten said on The Island Of Sodor Map thread, errors that may occur due to the Global Event, so I have make RRT_Events_The Island Of Sodor.xml, please download the rar file below and exctrac to UserMaps/The Island Of Sodor Map if you get message to overwrite RRT_Scenario_User_The Island Of Sodor.xml click yes, now you have new RRT_Scenario_User_The Island Of Sodor.xml with RRT_Events_The Island Of Sodor.xml inside
Attachments
RTT_Scenario_Event_Island Of Sodor Map.rar
(4.37 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

rencis79

Post by rencis79 » Tue May 26, 2009 8:57 am

Ok thank you Rodea2007. going to try that out :)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue May 26, 2009 2:11 pm

So whats new in the last few months of inactivity on my part? I have seen some failed attempts at creating a new installer system, Snoopy finally got SAMs out, a few new maps that look somewhat interesting...
Welcome back!
We missed you.
Unfortunately the board has split.
Snoopy has the SAMs going great, but was hounded off the Forum.
Everybody is at each others throat.
But look around the Map forum. There is a great selection of SAM-ed maps there.
Jancsika

Bunit

Post by Bunit » Tue May 26, 2009 3:44 pm

atani wrote:So whats new in the last few months of inactivity on my part? I have seen some failed attempts at creating a new installer system, Snoopy finally got SAMs out, a few new maps that look somewhat interesting...

Welcome back Atani unfortunately there are no new patches.
There are a lot of discussions good and bad as usual,
and quite a few good members have left or been forced to leave this forum because of a group of members and their attitudes towards them or by getting them banned.
Unfortunately Snoopy left this forum because of this and now resides at this website http://eric.bkbobby.com/ with the SAM's and Building Blocks.

But have a good read and you will see whats new and whats old, what is good and what is bad.

atani

Post by atani » Tue May 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Very interesting read for sure. I will also be trying out a few of the new maps that have been posted here. Probably will stay clear of SAMs as I dont really like the idea of only having one custom map at a time.

As for a post I saw on here stating that some of the old installers/maps/etc were removed by people. If I had created an installer for the map I still have the files here and can repost the installer with any additional fixes that are required.

I looked over at the "Bobby" site. Looks like the entire SMR Wiki was copy&pasted over to their own wiki, a lot of links still refer back to this site. It is very sad to see that the community has split as it seems that it has.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Tue May 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Very interesting read for sure. I will also be trying out a few of the new maps that have been posted here. Probably will stay clear of SAMs as I dont really like the idea of only having one custom map at a time.
What happened with the older maps and with SMRI, that when people started to make new maps the FPK references to the older maps became more and more cumbersome. It discourages people, especially newcomers from working with them.
The SAM maps became an easy solution just because it does not have reference to any other maps. It does not require installer, a simple copy and paste (or just unzipping in the UserMaps folder)
will do.
Also Snoopy and CO came up with the BuildingBlock idea. That is just the FPK of one Good or One industry and the necessary XML file, and the mapmaker can pick it off, so to speak from the shelves.
At the present there are approximately 300 Building blocks available.(Industries, goods, engines, traincars etc.)
All the new SAM maps are using them and you really ought to look at them.
I hope you will stay for a while;
Jancsika

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Tue May 26, 2009 11:30 pm

atani wrote: Probably will stay clear of SAMs as I dont really like the idea of only having one custom map at a time.
Yes....I agree with you.......... :lol:
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB

atani

Post by atani » Wed May 27, 2009 1:09 am

Jancsika wrote: Also Snoopy and CO came up with the BuildingBlock idea. That is just the FPK of one Good or One industry and the necessary XML file, and the mapmaker can pick it off, so to speak from the shelves.
Well, for each BuildingBlock a suitable chunk of code for the NSIS stuff could be written as well to allow the usage of the installer system (if people want it)...

As for staying, lately I have been quite busy with other games and also with real life stuff (work, model trains, etc).

atani

Post by atani » Wed May 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Step 1 towards automatic NSIS code generation:

Code: Select all

SMRInfo.exe nif kfm "Quad City Lake In Winter\whale.kfm"
NIF: Whale.nif
Master: MD
Whale_MD_Whale_Default.kf
Whale_MD_Whale_Normal.kf
Whale_MD_Whale_NotWorked.kf
Whale_MD_Whale_Worked.kf
The above is some output from the next version of the NSIS tools that I developed some time ago. This time however the rest of the files under Assets are supported (FPK, NIF, KM, KFM) and can be validated.

Basically what this means is that we might be able to generate a SAM/Global installer directly from the map maker's install and without missing important pieces (we missed a couple in the first version of SMRI).

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I will have this tool worked into a bit better shape, right now it is a bit unfriendly to work with (all command line driven)

Mike

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:03 am

WoW, this is major suckage that our community has been cleaved. Go away for 16 months and the whole place falls apart. :? Was hoping to get back into Railroads! a bit but it might prove to be more difficult if things are getting spread out all over the place.

I think the game should use the Globals system but as written SMR has a memory management problem and for stability sake the SAM/CIC systems make sense.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:29 am

WoW, this is major suckage that our community has been cleaved. Go away for 16 months and the whole place falls apart. Was hoping to get back into Railroads! a bit but it might prove to be more difficult if things are getting spread out all over the place.

I think the game should use the Globals system but as written SMR has a memory management problem and for stability sake the SAM/CIC systems make sense
Welcome back!
First you ought to know that some of your maps, Amerigonia, is still going great. And subject to discussion. (Two steam locomotive without a tender for some just does not look right :roll: :roll: ).
The problem with this board was and is that it not well organized and supervised and that led to some nasty confrontations.
Snoopy and his friends started a new board, http://eric.bkbobby.com/ where all the materials, the Wiki and the maps are available in a well organized manner, and they give all the help that is asked for. Nevertheless we still miss them here.

The SAM maps proved to be quite handy, primarily because of the simplicity of setting, no installer needed and they are very stable. With the newer machines on can play one through without a crash.
Jancsika

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:40 pm

There are still plenty of Original Content Maps that work side by side with other maps just fine, though the SAM community insists on porting them into SAMS. sigh I almost have a fear of releasing another map only to have it snatched and ported at a moments notice as many other releases were. Being converted to a SAM or having custom content is not necessary to enjoy many maps. It takes some skill in using custom content wisely, and applaud those who do. Wish they would leave the rest of the maps alone. Or agree that all maps without custom content can go in a games folder together and not have to worry about clean installs or unzipping special versions of maps to play just that one map, and repeat the process to play another map. ay carumba
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200