Windows 7

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Jancsika

Windows 7

Post by Jancsika » Wed May 13, 2009 1:56 pm

Now that Windows 7 is out, has anybody tried it? Does it work with Railroads??
Jancsika :?: :?:

keotaman

Re: Windows 7

Post by keotaman » Wed May 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I thought Windows 7 was (maybe) going to be released in the holiday season, 2009?

According to the Google search items I followed, only the Windows 7 Release Candidate is available now, & it will expire after approx 1 year: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/eval ... 53205.aspx

"This is pre-release software, so please read the following to get an idea of the risks and key things you need to know before you try the RC.
You don’t need to rush to get Windows 7 RC. The RC release will be available at least through June 2009 and we’re not limiting the number of product keys, so you have plenty of time.
Watch the calendar. The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you’ll need to install a non-expired version of Windows before March 1, 2010. You’ll also need to install the programs and data that you want to use. (Learn more about installing Windows)."

They also say, "please don’t test Windows 7 RC on your primary home or business PC."

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed May 13, 2009 7:38 pm

You are correct Keotaman. I installed it on an old machine of mine. (It was Windows XP)
One of these days I'll might try Railroads on that machine first.
Jancsika

pherschel

Post by pherschel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Runs fine out of the box on win 7 64 bit RTM.
Runs fine out of the fox on vista 64 bit (no 2 gig memory problem).

Requires vista memory setting change where you increase user memory size to run on vista 32 bit (don't need to modify exe)

Will test on win 7 32 bit RTM shortly.

-Pete

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Running (more or less) on 32 bit, but will not work with the Terrain Editor.
I tried all the compatibility modes.
Any ideas??
Jancsika

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:03 pm

I have figured it out!

The game will work with the basic installation, But patch 1.100 (the last one)
will not work. I have tried all the compatibility modes to the EXE. It will load the game, but crashes when starting any scenario or the Terrain Editor.
Jancsika

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:26 am

For two weeks I was trying to run Railroads in Windows 7
I think I have finally found a way.
I have to run it as an administrator, and the executive compatibility is set to Windows 98/Windows ME.
The working directory is: “C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\My Games\SIDMEI~2”. This will be set automatically when one starts a game.

Had problem with the CD copy protection. Had to set DMA channel for the DVD drive to PIO only.

Installed the XP virtual drive in Windows 7, but Railroads would not read the memory, (2500 Mb), it had a message that I don't have enough resources. So I removed the Virtual drive.

I will be experimenting further, but it looks like it might have problems with the scenarios.
It will load and play the East Coast SAM, but had trouble with Bobby's Australia 2 Beta. (Too big? I'll find it out.)
Jancsika
This morning, I've set the compatibility to Windows XP/service pack 2, and it is working.
I am really puzzled. Still in the Administrator setting.

jayo

Post by jayo » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:22 am

I just upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64-bit. I did a clean install(erased most of my hard drive data, including SMR), and reinstalled SMR v1.1. Played a good long scenario on it to see how long it would last. After an hour or so, I got a CTD, only because I quit the game!

Simply put, I played for a good long time without any crashes! And no, I didn't really get a crash to desktop, I just exited the game! Now I'll try with the tender mod...

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:50 am

Sounds great. Keep us posted. I am sitting here on a professional upgrade and holding off the installation. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Jancsika