Railroads! and showing Firaxis we want to see it thrive.

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Lowell

Re: Railroads! and showing Firaxis we want to see it thrive.

Post by Lowell » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:39 am

Accusations were made on a public forum, I always respond for everyone and my benefit. He never "asked" if I had gotten permission first. Private messages were also sent as I was trying to explain off the forum what was going on. The term license was talked about many times in PM’s and that a special read me was being sent along with this mod with extra information that would not be added to the regular map files. Most people never read anything on the map threads or the read me, they just want the map and to play it.
as stated in the License Agreement for the game, once you make anything having to do with this game, it becomes the property of 2K/Firaxis. So, in effect, you're giving it away.
As I stated, the new text and read me for this mod is being upgraded/replaced. The professional music scores and that model will have a special read me inside made just for this event and will explain the terms of use, these guys at 2K have been doing this for a long time…they understand. The total contact information will be sent. If they wanted to use a tanker model, it would be super easy for them to go right to the same place and do what I just did. 2K have been doing this kind of thing for a living...I think their art staff knows all about these sites and models...they are everywhere. I even see where they bought most of the models for this game, that’s why they weren’t allowed to release the 3D files to us, only the converted game models.

I do not need to explain everything I do as to my purchases or game mods. That's my business. I said many times that I had permission and that it is of nobody’s concern, I have everything taken care of...that should have ended it right then, but no, it keeps going. I have stated many times on several posts where people can go and buy 3D files for trains and train cars.

After the harassment I got when I released the mod, I am a bit punchy still, and rightly so. That childish thread called the trouble with F/G was totally stupid and full of bogus stuff, all hate filled. I get attacked every time I make a post here it seems.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:41 am

Guess I'll have to PM Rockynarrowgauge and see if he'll send me copies of all of those PMs. I guess that would straighten me out right fast

I'm very sorry I hurt your feelings.

Let's just put it this way - whatever you want to say, whatever you want to do, go for it! You are right in all of it, and few of the rest of us know what we are talking about.

There, does that satify your needs? Or would you like us to go back and delete anything we said about your maps, such as problems, errors and things we thought might be good to change?

And unless I get a reply from Rockynarrowgauge, I'm done with this thread. It's all yours.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:36 am

Now I'm not whining. This is as much your thread as for me to post here. You have maps that could be sent as well. I know you have had issues with side to side like I have had issues with my projects, but I like that map and would like to see you send it. That map was the start for the idea of the use of distribution centers on my maps.

TurboSquid's copywrite dept. replied to my questions.
Hi, Lowell,

Our End User License Agreement allows for a client to purchase 3d content from our site and then create productions (media), logos, resell images/animations made with that purchased content. Many of our clients are film companies, game creators and visual designers around the globe. They use these products on a daily basis in this fashion, and it is fully covered and supported by the EULA document. The only restriction we've placed on clients (section 5: Resale) is that they may not take the 3d content purchased and resell it in any 3d format which would destroy its commercial value for the creator.
Regards,
Christell
TurboSquid Member Services

So use the 3D files you purchase to make converted game models as you need. Don't release the 3D files you buy.

Now, I do have a question though...
In the game, the saved game files. Anyone know what encryption is used on those files? Another words, I would like to use that on my scenario files and see if the game will run those files encrypted like the saved game file. I can do it in Darwinia, and if the game is reading it on the saved game file, it should work with the map/scenario files too I would think. On The Settlers Rise of an Empire...scenario files are password protected, so if you download one of those scenarios, you cannot add to or edit them unless the map maker gives you the password.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Lowell wrote: Now, I do have a question though...
In the game, the saved game files. Anyone know what encryption is used on those files? Another words, I would like to use that on my scenario files and see if the game will run those files encrypted like the saved game file. I can do it in Darwinia, and if the game is reading it on the saved game file, it should work with the map/scenario files too I would think. On The Settlers Rise of an Empire...scenario files are password protected, so if you download one of those scenarios, you cannot add to or edit them unless the map maker gives you the password.
The Main Railroads Program would have to be re-written to handle encrypted files. Why encrypt them if you are not using the actual 3d model anyways.. ????????

Then thinking on it another thing would be every time you wanted
play one of your maps people would have to enter the password each time they used it to me I wouldn't bother with a map that did that. If you don't want people to use your Items you make for the map don't put them in the map use something else simplest solution.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Encrypted files will not need a password. The password on The Settlers Rise of an Empire is for the game editor, not the game file. You cannot edit scenarios made by others or copy them in that game. In RailRoads everyone can edit and copy scenarios.

Many new games have the editors lock out the mod scenarios now. The encryption this game uses for the “saved game” files…the game is already reading through and generating as you play the game. The player of such a scenario would notice nothing different, it would just run and play.

Just curious, It would come in handy when editing and building a new scenario to see what the game writes down as the map runs. It might help in trouble shooting as well. In Darwinia I use RedShirt or something like that. It was a great help to be able to read through what the game was seeing as it played through. It can show if something is dynamic or global and is a great help. I am sure it would be good here as well.

Modeltrainman

Post by Modeltrainman » Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:50 am

Any news?

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:03 pm

Sorry...
Due to complications, Rodea2007 and myself will not be posting any new work here till this forum/fan-site gets straightened out. Certain members have driven us away.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:50 am

Lowell wrote:Sorry...
Due to complications, Rodea2007 and myself will not be posting any new work here till this forum/fan-site gets straightened out. Certain members have driven us away.

You should only speak for yourself and not rodea2007 as he just posted his Quad City map. In the Maps Forum here.

Bobbys Railroads Fan Site
Last edited by vzbob on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Why don't you all just give it a rest :roll: