SAM style maps discussion.....

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
snoopy55

Re: SAM style maps for downloading....

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:48 am

Is there something you have against the great state of Utah???? :wink:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:03 pm

Map:Wisconsin

Created By:Snoopy55

SAMed By:Snoopy55/Tijer

Another one that CTD for me. No mater what I try it wont work.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:52 am

That has got to be another state you don't like....do we have a map of South Dakota I can SAM for you?

dwax

Post by dwax » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am

I don't know why they wont load up snoopy. You mean there is a South Dakota map? :mrgreen:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:07 am

Sure, you should have one in your glove compartment.......

Or, you could try to work one up. The instructions for the base are in Wiki, and then a bit of coloring from some maps on the internet and place the cities and industries, and read the thread I did in 'Construction Zone' on SAMs.

And I might be able to help you if you are interested...... :mrgreen:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:16 am

Just a note. We are editing some maps now and then. I just edited the trees out of the water in Australia. Check back now and then for possible changes.

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:50 am

dwax wrote:I don't know why they wont load up snoopy. You mean there is a South Dakota map? :mrgreen:
Dwax, After you unzip the map file you will have one file folder called Utah_SAM...if you place the Utah_SAM folder inside Usermaps and start the map it will crash. I found that you have open-up that Utah_SAM file folder, then inside is the map file folder and the map's Fpk. The map runs great...no issues that I saw right off, and it starts right up. But you have to open-up that Utah_SAM file folder and take the Fpk and map folder and place those into usermaps...runs fine. I found no need to copy any goods to a global list as Rodea had...Great job snoopy55 and tijer.
Attachments
Utah_SAM_00.png

dwax

Post by dwax » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:00 pm

That's how I had tried to start Lowell, I never did put the Utah Sam folder in the UserMaps.

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Kind of confused as to why it wouldn't work. Operating systems shouldn't interfere with the game and the other Sams all worked. Never had any problems with Sam's until this one.
It does not mean that something will not poop up now. We have been plagued with unexplainable crashes since the beginning of this game. The game will crash at a point where it did not crash before and once it crashed it will not load anymore at all.
If this happens I uninstall the game completely. Delete all the leftover directories from the system, emply the recycle can and reinstall the game.
It usually helps. :mrgreen:
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 am

I really don't see the point of making a SAM map out of Utah. Utah was constructed from the start by Universum to be standalone. The original map has always been stable, and the original still is, as noted by dwax.

Probably time and energy are better spent on maps that did not and still do not run stable, or are not stand-alone and thus not accessible to most players.

:P

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:07 am

Well, Dwax seems to be the only one to have a problem with Utah and Wisconsin, so far. Also, Utah is already done and it would be silly to delete it. Some people also did not like the idea of playing with BAT files, and this is a simple click on a ZIP, highlite two files and point them to the UserMaps folder. Done. So, let's just leave it at that. Either there is something odd about Dwax's system, certain maps don't like him, or he has something against those two states...... :roll:

I could not run the Utah map until I went from 2 Gb to 4 Gb of memory, no big deal. A map cannot be repaired if only one person has (or reports) a problem and the problem cannot be found:cry: . And no, it's not his fault.

All of the maps will be worked up as SAMs, and any problems with them will be corrected. I'm in the process of doing UK Large Mp and found that the map had Livestock, but does not use them. Something to edit and retest.

On with the rest of the maps :mrgreen:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:35 am

There is an other advantage to having SAM-s.
For wannabe mapmakers there is a package of working FPK files that can be reused for other maps.

Talking about Utah there is a duplicate entry in two different Eras to connect Ogden. (Picky, picky :P :mrgreen: )
<szType>ConnectCities</szType>
<szCity>TAG_CITY_NAME_OGDEN</szCity>
Jancsika

karsten

Post by karsten » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:52 am

Yeah, I remember you had some bughunters being picky about leftover development code in your excellent "Rags to Riches" map.
Jancsika: The Port is strictly a comment in the XML file. It could be completely deleted without any harm to the game.
Originally I started the design with a Port in mind, but I had too many problems with it ...
When Universum and myself were playtesting Utah, we thought the "connect Ogden" condition turned out too easy, so we moved it, but kept the original in place in case things became too difficult after all.... :lol:

By the way, I remember you made this supercool hotel icon for "Rags to Riches", any more in the pipeline? (I would need some for the Australia map!)
Attachments
icon_hotel_64.jpg
icon_hotel_64.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 8515 times

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:10 pm

By the way, I remember you made this supercool hotel icon for "Rags to Riches", any more in the pipeline? (I would need some for the Australia map!)
Sorry, but I did not make it and I really don't remeber who made it, but it was somebody on this board.

Jancsika :mrgreen:

dwax

Post by dwax » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:43 pm

Where is that map Rags to Riches anyway? :mrgreen: