SAM style maps discussion.....

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
snoopy55

Re: SAM style maps for downloading....

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:13 pm

Now be careful on your wording there. A few individuals may have to put it in CustomAssets. So far three people that I know of have it working with the FPK in UserMaps. When you ran it the first time and found the errors, where did you have the two FPKs?
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

dwax

Post by dwax » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:54 pm

Snoopy, is there suppose to be two FPKs in Rags to Riches?

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Rodea/Pete - as to doing your maps Rodea, looking over West Sumatera, as it sits we are talking about 9 or 10 zips. I can cut it down a bit by editing out some of the NMRLs, SPECs and EMSKs, and most of the dummies, but that is not going to do much for it.

Can someone suggest a site where Rodeas SAMs can be uploaded and they won't disappear?

Dwax - yes, there were two, but thru the power of re-editing BBs, we have magically made many of the files disappear and cut it down to one! :mrgreen: (don't everybody applaud at once......)

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:06 pm

snoopy55 wrote:Now be careful on your wording there. A few individuals may have to put it in CustomAssets. So far three people that I know of have it working with the FPK in UserMaps. When you ran it the first time and found the errors, where did you have the two FPKs?
So far; I've played 3 SAM's.
Rags to Riches
Dogworld
Sid's Place.
All of them are in user maps; not custom assets. So far not a hint of trouble and I've beem playing for hours.

Too bad about the size of Sumatera. Thats one I would love to have as a SAM. Hope you can work it out.

Pete

Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:51 pm

It would be doable for those who already have it downloaded since once you have the FPK files, the XML part of the SAM is a small download :) . But that would only work for those who already have the FPK files and not future members :cry: .

Now you have it bugging me..... :shock:

Pete

Post by Pete » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:51 pm

I do have it downloaded in my renamed File.
I tried moving the 5 FPK's and all the other files into the new user map, but it won't load. I assume you do some magic to make them SMR's. Too bad......it's a great map.

Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:35 am

I assume you mean you were trying to run it as a SAM? In that case, no it won't work. The files in the map folder itself have to be rebuilt....and tested. Give me some time to visit my dragon den, look over my many castles, stare into my crystal balls, polish my magic wand collection and dust off my magic book collection. And after I put them all back into the cabinet, I'll look over the files and see what i can do :mrgreen:

Hey, I do have the dragons, castles and crystal balls :wink:

Oh, and if you PM me your Email address, I'll even let you test it :P

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:11 am

Yeah; I was trying to use it as a SAM.
PM sent.

Pete

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:52 am

snoopy55 wrote:Now be careful on your wording there. A few individuals may have to put it in CustomAssets. So far three people that I know of have it working with the FPK in UserMaps. When you ran it the first time and found the errors, where did you have the two FPKs?
1st time I put the FPK in the usermaps folder and no go then moved it to the custom assets folder and same thing. I deleted the map went to bed next day re- downloaded it in case it did not download properly then extracted to the usermaps folder still no so i moved the FPK file to custom assets folder and away it went..

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Ok then, there are some oddities about this game, which is putting it lightly, feather lightly :roll: When I ran R2R with two FPK files I had to put them into CustomAssets, but a single FPK worked just fine in UserMaps. There was one map that I was testing prior to packing the files and I tried the folder in the SAM and it failed. When I put it into CustomAssets, it worked. The final FPK worked in UserMaps.

I guess it's as I stated in the first post of this thread, put it where ever you need to to get it to work, just don't forget to delete them when you change maps. It may not make a difference if you don't, but, in the case of this game, a clean SMR folder is a better SMR folder :mrgreen:

Pete

Post by Pete » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:27 pm

I've run into a problem with Austrailia 2 SAM.
It loads ok, but when I try to add my first train; there's none there. If I click on "Change" it crashes back to desktop.
I tried putting the FPK in custom assets, but it made no difference.
Has any one else tried Australia 2?

Pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:15 pm

Repaired....slip of a sore wrist while deleting a file, the wrong file. Try it now.

Pete

Post by Pete » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:24 am

Working fine now.
Another great SAM.

Thanks

Pete

Jancsika

Re: SAM style maps discussion....

Post by Jancsika » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:32 am

I was reading in some other threads that many of the maps don't have scenarios. I have checked one of my early favorite map and lo and behold: no game goals other than the stock Firaxis goals.
Since I was plenty familiar with the map I made quicky scenario.
It might need some adjutment in the time, because i've played it only once.

For those who don't know how: with a text editor go in the RRT_Scenario_User_sides.XML file and replace the part between;

<Eras>

</Eras>

with the enclosed ZIP file (Unzip first :mrgreen: )
Eras.zip
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
This my birthday present to the creator of this map :P
Jancsika

karsten

Re: SAM style maps discussion....

Post by karsten » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:55 am

One problem is that aspiring map makers may have little idea how much work a good scenario is. Some assume that making the map is 90% of the work and that 10% is enough for the scenario. That is as if that the author writing a book contributes 10% to its success, and the printer, bookbinder and illustrator 90%. :lol:

Obviously, as many people are aware, in reality, it is more the other way around. That is why book authors gain lasting fame, and, sadly, no one remembers the printers and illustrators. 8)