SAM style maps discussion.....

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
snoopy55

Re: SAM style maps for downloading....

Post by snoopy55 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:55 am

Good catch..... I must have missed it when I packed the files. The map has been repaired and uploaded.

As to the Gold showing up for the Smelter, I'm working with him on a few replacement icons.
Last edited by snoopy55 on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:01 am

I notice the Icon for taconite ore is mssing in the industries tab in game.
Thanks “vzbob”. The new Icon is on its way. It got lost somwhere in the confusion of the uploading.

Let me explain about the map. For being only a 10 x 10 map, it is quite complicated. I had about 5800 miles of tracks and between 15 and 25 trains running and had to rearrange the tracks twice during the game. The tunnels and bridges are fairly expensive, routing is important. Also watch out for loops in the track. If overloaded the train will just shuttle back and forth.
The goals are set up for industrial production, not for making money or owing all the stock. The lumber mill, paper mill and power plant are for occupying building slots and generate income when needed. You will have to grow the place to a City, before you can build an industry. You have to be careful to build the industry where the scenario calls for because there are no free slots available for building.
Jancsika

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:37 am

snoopy55 wrote:Good catch..... I must have missed it when I packed the files. For now, put the attached FPK with the other two and see if that fixes it. I'm sure it's the one that's needed.

As to the Gold showing up for the Smelter, I'm working with him on a few replacement icons.
tried it out but still the same thing.
OOPS i made boo boo icon is for taconite pellets not the ore.
Also I think Chicago to the Rockies has the right icon for taconite & Pelletizer, Smelter.kfm for the smelter as well..

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 am

Jancsika wrote:
I notice the Icon for taconite ore is mssing in the industries tab in game.
Thanks “vzbob”. The new Icon is on its way. It got lost somwhere in the confusion of the uploading.

Let me explain about the map. For being only a 10 x 10 map, it is quite complicated. I had about 5800 miles of tracks and between 15 and 25 trains running and had to rearrange the tracks twice during the game. The tunnels and bridges are fairly expensive, routing is important. Also watch out for loops in the track. If overloaded the train will just shuttle back and forth.
The goals are set up for industrial production, not for making money or owing all the stock. The lumber mill, paper mill and power plant are for occupying building slots and generate income when needed. You will have to grow the place to a City, before you can build an industry. You have to be careful to build the industry where the scenario calls for because there are no free slots available for building.
Jancsika
Yes I realize that the goals are different and played it that way had ball with it. Played it through to the end missed a few goals but enjoyed it..

pumanator

Post by pumanator » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:25 am

So start from scratch. down load loco skins and tender mod.
Those should go to default file when unzipped or elsewhere?

The start up and shut down of the game and then playing the map was confusing.
Do I start the game from desktop and then hit the windows key to punch out of game, then unzip the file to user maps....if so then what. Designation file for ALL maps down loaded to be used one at a time in user maps Im not sure about. Should the files be on the same driver as the game?

I have found that some of the default designations for some maps work and some crash but I think those are the globals that still down load and I think I understand that both kinds of maps, the old load and play and the SAMS, can't co-exist.

Thanx for your patience as I know ppl time is most valuable.

ps-I am really looking forward to basin and range...thats where all the trouble started for me. :shock:

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:08 am

pumanator - first thing..you are talking about SAMs and CICs are you not?

You do not want to install the Loco Skins of the Tender Mod. If those are meant to be in the map, they will be included.

Next, you only need to rename the existing Sid Meier's Railroads! folder in My Games, start the game, shut it off and your done. If you require special settings, set them up when you start the game again.

Start the game, then stop it using the "Exit" button on the main screen.

You then unzip SAM or CIC maps into the new Sid Meier's Railroads! folder. Then you start the game and start the map you loaded.

You can only have ONE SAM or CIC in UserMaps at a time. Clear everything out of UserMaps before you install another one.

"Should the files be on the same driver as the game?" If you are speaking of hard drives, that depends on how your system is set up. Don't let it worry you, the game does all of that when you install it.

In your third paragraph, if you are speaking of maps that have Installers or are not SAM or CIC, they most likely will not work in this set-up. Some will, but it is best not to mess with them. A SAM or CIC will be made for all maps sooner or later.

As to Basin and Range......well, while a lot of people may be looking forward to a SAM version, I'm really not in a hurry to attack that one, at least not until I get all the BBs for it done.

Thanks for your patience, and I do hope you come to enjoy using the SAMs and CICs.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:44 pm

OK, Rags to Riches has been edited and the new files uploaded. The FPKs were also edited to make the maps final FPK smaller.

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:41 am

snoopy55 wrote:OK, Rags to Riches has been edited and the new files uploaded. The FPKs were also edited to make the maps final FPK smaller.
Crashes on building up steam every time.
Hmmm check your e-mail.

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Finally!!!
I've gone to Snoopy's SAM system, and everything is fantastic. I've been playing Rags to Riches for hours without a hiccup.
Please, Rodea.......either you or Snoopy convert your fantastic maps to this system.
At last this game works.
Snoopy and whoever else.
Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Pete

Rodea2007

Post by Rodea2007 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:33 am

Pete wrote:Please, Rodea.......either you or Snoopy convert your fantastic maps to this system.
I guess Snoopy in middle working to make my map as SAM... :P
Rodea2007 ( http://rodea2007.yolasite.com )
Facebook http://www.facebook.com/rodea2007
Note Book TOSHIBA SATELLITE L645
Processor Inter Core I-3
Memory 8 GB
Harddisk 320 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:35 am

You're Welcome!
You're Welcome!
You're Welcome!

But please give credit where credit is due. Tijer was the other half in the creation of SAMs :mrgreen: . vzbob has been our map tester :mrgreen: and Jancsika is the one testing the Building Blocks :mrgreen: . And, of course, none of this would have been possible if not for the original map makers themselves! :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

As to Rodeas maps, they are in line, but a way back at this time. There are 100 maps, give or take a few, to be worked out :shock: , and the Building Blocks have to be worked out first. I may work with him on his doing his own if he is interested. It's not difficult, once the map is finished, to convert it.

Also, Rags to Riches is up once again( :mrgreen: whoop, whoop :mrgreen: ). I think you're going to like the work done by Jancsika and new icons I made for it. I also cut most of the Building Blocks down in size by re-editing them, which was part of the cause of the CTDs, so the size of the FPK files are cut in half. The new versions of the BBs have yet to be uploaded and tested, altho the real testing is right in this map. :wink:

Jancsika

Post by Jancsika » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:02 pm

Rodea wrote
I guess Snoopy in middle working to make my map as SAM...
I am working on a new map that will include some of your uploaded BB-s. (Sugarcane, Bown Sugar, Haybail, Bank). What's lacking is the Industries that go with them. Sugarcane farm, Alfalfa farm (for hay), or maybe a farming conglomerate. I know I can use the grainfarm, but it does not look the same. Your maps have lot of great looking graphics for industries. It would be nice to see them in BB-s.

Generally speaking we have a lot of Goods in the maps,but not enough variety of industries.
We can not expect for Snoopy to do all those, because he is too busy to take care of all our other blunders and troubles.
So how about some new talent to create those things? :wink: :wink:

Jancsika :mrgreen:

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Snoop........
I wasn't trying to leave anyone out in my thanks.
Tijer; vzbob; Jancsika; A wet sloppy to each of you.

I think this is my 100th post. The other 99 were ads for a gun to put me out of my misery. You guys have done that.
Thanks again.

pete

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:54 pm

Jancsika - As to the Farms - there are three solutions to that. In Construction Set, at this time on the second page, is 'New Building DDS files' which is a set of various colored Barns from the original. I myself have done the Europe Farm with a different base which I got from searching thru the internet. A second solution is to play with the CIV IV Farm, which has many possibilities, including reskinning. The third is to take the SMR Farms into Blender and do things like copy the base building, set it next to the original, remove the doors from it, maybe add a single closed door at the end, get rid of that blasted grain bin at the side, along with all that goes with it, and stick that tall second level structure at one end or attached to the back. Then reskin the silos with something different.

I have found a different way to skin the DIFFs Here are the instruction for doing a Passenger Car. http://www.hookedgamers.com/forums/down ... hp?id=3134
Any existing DIFF can be set up to work this way.

We need a pair of threads in Construction Set, one for sources of texture and paint data, and the other a discussion thread. I found a great site for color selection..

And Pete, I didn't mean to sound like I saw picking on you, it's just that I feel everyone should get their due credit for all this work.

And donate the money for the gun to a more worthy cause....I'll PM you my address.. :wink:

vzbob

Post by vzbob » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:45 am

vzbob wrote:
snoopy55 wrote:OK, Rags to Riches has been edited and the new files uploaded. The FPKs were also edited to make the maps final FPK smaller.
Crashes on building up steam every time.
Hmmm check your e-mail.
Ok got it to work by putting FPK in the custom assets folder.
crazy i did it the other day and no go but to day it worked fine.. so guess we have to watch where the FPK's go on certain maps...