Rail Simulator

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
Lowell

Rail Simulator

Post by Lowell » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:49 am

Rail Simulator is about to hit the streets. Much better than Trainz or MSTS. Easier to make/build new locos...although they have just about every loco and diesel made world wide from what I have researched. Lifelike and high detail, this will be the wave of the future for train games...very cool. Control routes, trains, switch trains...it has it all.

The editor is cool, and they have a RSBinTool that allows you to edit the DDS files and rename them easy. Even lay your own routes and add stations etc. NotePad++ can be used to edit any XML lists here as well.

I ended up with the German Demo...and I took German in highschool...that was lightyears ago. But I did manage to use the editor somehow and get everything running. Great game, can't seem to stay away from it...

The game will come out in the English version Jan 16 2008...so get ready it will sell for around $40.00 new US. The US Demo should be out around the date of release.
Attachments
Drive the train from the controls on the console...<br />All cab instruments and displays work...it feels like you are really inside the train
Drive the train from the controls on the console...
All cab instruments and displays work...it feels like you are really inside the train
RailSim_1.jpg (91.34 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
Inside the Editor
Inside the Editor
RailSim_6.jpg (130.31 KiB) Viewed 11696 times
RailSim_2.jpg
RailSim_2.jpg (240.98 KiB) Viewed 11699 times
RailSim_3.jpg
RailSim_3.jpg (132.48 KiB) Viewed 11700 times
This is a shot inside the RSBinTool...
This is a shot inside the RSBinTool...
RSBinTool.jpg (78.67 KiB) Viewed 11701 times

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:52 pm

Wow, looks nice but 'Simulator' tends to mean more work and less game. To me anyway.

But I'm sure I will check it out.
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R mobo - Core i7 920
G.SKILL 3x1GB PC3 10666
MSI 8800GT Graphics Card
WD 150GB Raptor System Drive
WinXP Pro SP2 (LANfest Old Gamer Prize)

keotaman

Post by keotaman » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:25 pm

I'm interested too, I used to use the coffee guy as part of my avatar.
I like MSTS (also developed by Kuju) because of the realism, distances, graphics, operation. I like the business aspect of SMRR (tycooning!), but it falls so far short on the other aspects that it is truly "only" a game. The missions (Scenarios) in RS will probably be driving by schedule, completing work lists, or performing switchlist moves ... work for some, puzzle-solving for others. Nice to have editing capability built-in, that will be nice!
http://www.railsimulator.com/about-rail-simulator

We all like different things, & I'm getting a bit bored with SMRR standard maps, though I still have many permutations to play out.

The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:52 pm

I wish there was a way to have the camera in the train's cab like in one of those screenies in SMRR!
Mobo: GA-P35-S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
GPU: ATI X1950XT 256Mb DDR3
RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
Sound: Audigy 4

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:51 am

It would be cool to ride in the cabs in this game you are right. Well Dr. Frag, the Sim game is a bit different than this kind of railroad game. Sid's RailRoads is kind of unique I think...the way the models have shadows and seem more 3D for some reason. I don't think Sims will ever replace a train game like this one. The Sims can be a tad more complicated to run if you do the signals and keep your trains on time. So this one is much more layed back and fun in that way.

But for Train Sims...and I have all of them...this one is pretty cool. It is alot like Trainz, the graphics are built close to Trainz and MSTS but they are better. So it is a step up I think. The game has pre built scenarios and the routes go on for dozens/hundreds of miles, so there are no square boxs to pin you in. This is also a MicroSoft Windows game and we can play it in XP now...but it is made for Vista. Word is even XP won't work on many new games in Dev right now...Vista, can you believe that.

The realisum is cool...but I still like the animated version this game has to offer. I would like to see a new version of Sid's RailRoads game come out. Hopefully more stable and bigger maps and better uses of the players system resources. Of course we all know what that means...thighter scripting maybe perl even. But I'm afraid that the new game wave will mean that if you don't upgrade to a highend gaming machine...you will miss out on the new games coming out now. They all are now written for Vista and the next gen Direct X...XP won't go there in the near future. Even I have an upgrade to Vista...just been waiting for all the screams to die down first. :)

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:14 am

Give me control full control over a trains routing in the current game, especially if I can set and forget it, and I'd probably never even need to play another game. Though being able to ride the train from the cab might be nice too...

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:08 pm

Is this the new game from EA? If so, here is the Demo.

http://www.ea.com/railsim/
Remember railroads is sdaorliar spelled backward

Star Ranger4

Post by Star Ranger4 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:24 pm

certainly looks like the same program....

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:44 am

zzbusch wrote:Is this the new game from EA? If so, here is the Demo.

http://www.ea.com/railsim/
I downloaded the demo, but couldn't get it to run. I kept getting some weird error. Has anyone gotten this to run?
Not good if the Demo won't run. :roll:

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:00 am

Go here and get this free demo download, the download link will be just below the train engine picture I attached when you get to their page. The demo version here will let you pick your language. This is a better site for the game. Have fun...it's out for sale if you order it on line...it will be in US stores in another week or so and is in the UK stores now.

P.S. I don't know what EA games has to do with this game. I think they are just marketing it, as it is one of those Games for Microsoft projects and was made by a German game team.

Also if you scroll down just past the demo link...you will see the link for the free RSBin tool for the game...a modders must have toy.

Better download this as you go to bed...I think they have a slow connection. I image a server in some castle dungen high in the german mountians with dial up. :D ..."just kidding"... maybe not I have a 9meg connection with a cable modem and it still took forever.

http://www.eisenbahnwerk.de/6.html
Attachments
DB294_engine_03.jpg
DB294_engine_03.jpg (85.98 KiB) Viewed 11567 times

zzbusch

Post by zzbusch » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:29 am

thx Lowell. That one works.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:55 pm

The tutorials to build a tunnel at http://railsimulator.blip.tv/#541994 look pretty cool.
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

packtloss

Post by packtloss » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:43 am

terrible, terrible game. editor is good, but the rest of the product is very rushed. Wait for MS train simulator 2 (3q 2008) - dont buy this one.

CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:47 pm

After playing the demo a number of times, it is too much of a simulator for me. European games seem to go into so much detail. At one point, I even decoupled the passenger cars and continued on with the engine alone. Not sure how which keypress did that, but I sure failed the scenario. Hope those passengers are safe back there...
motherboard : Asus P5N-E SLI
processor: Dual Core 2.4 GHz
memory : 2046MB
video card: GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
operating system: winxp media
Display: 24" Dell at 1920x1200

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Hey, didn't Steven Seagal do that in a movie he did? That puts you up with the Stars!!!
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....