Autosave doesn't seem to work

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
The Chatanooga Choo-Choo

Autosave doesn't seem to work

Post by The Chatanooga Choo-Choo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:03 pm

I've ticked the box in the options menu, but the game never seems to autosave (it's crashed a few times and I've lost a lot of progress because of it). Has anyone else encountered this issue? I'm running patch v1.10.

Also, how do you delete save games?
Mobo: GA-P35-S3
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 2Ghz
GPU: ATI X1950XT 256Mb DDR3
RAM: Kingston 2.Gb 240pin DDR2 PC667Mhz PC5300
Sound: Audigy 4

Lowell

Post by Lowell » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:55 pm

I use the auto save feature, it gives me no issues at all. There are those who have disabled their autosave. I believe because of low system resources, however it isn't the auto save that is their problem, it's two or three things poping up at the same time...like the auto save and a couple newspaper popups at the same time freezing the game then crash all within a second or two. The settings are in the Settings.INI file...here is a snipet from mine...

C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Settings.INI

...midway down the page... 1 means "yes" 0 means"no"
Precache = 1
AutosaveEnabled = 1
AutosaveInterval (in minutes) = 20
MaxAutosaves = 3

The real answer is the motherboard you use and the type processor and video cards. The games built today are heavy on the system. I use the Nvidia 680i motherboard and 8800 video cards. The motherboard must have the right kind of NorthBridge Chipset on it. Games made from now on need the video data traffic channeled differently than the old style boards. You can place a great video card on a old motherboard and get bad results. It might look pretty in a still photo but give it a game and the rest of the system fails not the video card. I build my own monster machines.

EDIT//To delete an old Saved game...open up the C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads! folder and in that folder you will see a folder called Saves in that folder you will see the list of saves you have made. Right click and delete those you don't want to keep.
Last edited by Lowell on Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dr Frag

Post by Dr Frag » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:37 am

Do you ever see these messages?

'The game has been saved'

Like Lowell hinted at you might want to take a peek at your ...\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\Settings.ini file and see what the Interval is set to.

Also are you sure it's not saving them? They are stored in a subdirectory under the Saves folder so you have to expand the Saves folder and click on the Auto folder when using Load Game.

DF