Help! Noobie!

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
frattonstation

Help! Noobie!

Post by frattonstation » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:12 am

I palce all my addons etc into the following folder but never appear in teh game?
My Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Railroads!\CustomAssets
What am I doing wrong???

Warll

Post by Warll » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:40 pm

Have you ran the installers?

frattonstation

Post by frattonstation » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:40 pm

errr...what installers?????

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:33 pm

Sooner or later in every map thread you will find a ZIP download whose name starts with 'Setup'. Unzipping this into a storage folder as I do or a temp folder as I imagine others do will get you a program that 'Installs' the map and all of it's needed parts, GLOBALS, FPKs, folders, etc. Dig a little further into the map threads and you'll find these Installers AND get alot of info about the map. :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....

atani

Post by atani » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:21 pm

As Snoopy said, dig into the map threads and you will find an installer posted for the various maps. You can also find a consolidated list of all installers that have been produced in the Wiki: http://www.hookedgamers.com/wiki/Sid_Me ... ustom_maps

Mike

frattonstation

Post by frattonstation » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:50 pm

VERY MANY THANKS !
Sussed it now!!!
:D

TheWizardKs

Post by TheWizardKs » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:21 pm

How do the installers actually work? I started on my own before I found this site and had an iron mine and steel mill2 setup into the midwest scenario. Of course I had to make entries into the xml files for goods, industries, traincars. Had it working fine then installed America map and it broke my scenario (CTD upon trying to load a train at the iron mine). Discovered Stormfather had his own iron mine and I fixed it to have both using different names etc. Then I installed the large map UK and it repeated the CTD. That was the end of my using the installer even though I would like to add more maps.

snoopy55

Post by snoopy55 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:24 am

What the Installers do is open up the GLOBALS and check to be sure that all the data for created things are there. If something isn't, it puts it in. In your case, it would check to be see if your Steel Mill 2 is in RRT_Industries.xml, and if it's not, it would load it in. It also loads FPK files or folders containing them into CustomAssets, and loads the map into _SCENARIOS_. There is a base set of maps that should be loaded to be sure you have all available data that has been created loaded into the GLOBALS. From there, you as a map maker can select from that data, or use it to create your own. In the next day or two (or three in this heat :evil: ) I'm going to write up a Sticky with the needed info for Noobies explaining all this.
Can't wait to see your map :twisted:
I'm correct 97% of the time..... who cares about the other 4%....