Persuade Me

Talk about all things related to Railroads! here
devotee_of_reason

Persuade Me

Post by devotee_of_reason » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 pm

The game looks interesting, and I'd like something along these lines. But I have a decision to make. Should I buy the most recent game (Sid Meier's Railroads!) or an earlier one (Railroad Tycoon 3 demo looks promising). I need more information to decide.

What I have picked up so far (correct me where I am wrong):

Railroad Tycoon 3:

-A few more trains
-more maps
-a campaign
-More resources, and auto managing of which resources are shipped
-Probably available cheaper
-Will run more easily on an older or less powerful computer

Sid Meier's Railroads!

-Spiffier graphic
-Made by Sid Meier, King of Programmers.

----

So far, it looks like the balance is in favor of Railroad Tycoon 3. What am I missing?

Warll

Post by Warll » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Well if you want a list:
-Our forum ergo Hooked on railroads forum
-Our maps
-Our trains
-Online play
-Our centralized gaming and moding community

devotee_of_reason

Post by devotee_of_reason » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:18 am

So, basically, good community as a plus for Railroads! (how does one punctuate a sentence ending with that?)?

Does the other have no equivalent?

Warll

Post by Warll » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:50 am

Well Railroads! is more of a train table game then it's older brothers. At least thats part of why people play it verses RTT3.

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:43 am

To me, the graphics of Railroads! wins hands down, and the landscaping is a dream. Most of the game's potential was not realized, however, because the game had to be published prematurely as the company (management) was fighting for its survival at the time (and lost).

So most RR veterans have returned to RRT3.

But I do not think that Firaxis and TakeTwo have abandoned SMR. Two reasons:
A: The game is still selling quite well as a budget title
B: Firaxis can't afford to have the Sid Meier name associated with a total failure.

So I am quietly confident that we will see them back with a patch and new committment, perhaps once they have finished Civ4 Beyond the Sword expansion pack. :P

Westley Roberts

Post by Westley Roberts » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:09 pm

I own both games, and while I only lightly played RRT3, I can say, that barring the CTD issues that can arise in Railroads!, I love it.

Sometimes the following do restrict it, but it also helps if you just want a quick jolt of Railroading fun.

1) Smaller Maps
2) Limited Goals
3) Limited Cargos
4) NO Campaign

Again, this may add to the replay value, since they induce a quick and dirty gameplay style to achieve the scenario goals.

But you CANNOT beat it in train table style of play, the graphics are awesome, and you can almost ride along with the conductor when you press the camera button while a train is selected.

And comfirming what was said above, Sid is the KING, I've personally professed that since Civ, Colinization, Pirates! (circa 1985 - 1993) I think the only game I've never purchased from him/his publisher would be Gettysburg (not my personal style of gameplay)

I also would be remiss if I did not echo WARII in stating that this site is the greatest. Not only do they support a Wiki, a font of information, they have an active forum for veterans and newbs alike. The main part of this site that keeps it all going is the availability of modified trains and maps that have been created by the members, and made available on the site. These two thing are what has kept my gameplay alive.

Again, I can't speak much for RRT3, but I can sing praises about Railroads!, short of unchecked CTD's

jayo

Re: Persuade Me

Post by jayo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:39 am

devotee_of_reason wrote:The game looks interesting, and I'd like something along these lines. But I have a decision to make. Should I buy the most recent game (Sid Meier's Railroads!) or an earlier one (Railroad Tycoon 3 demo looks promising). I need more information to decide.

What I have picked up so far (correct me where I am wrong):

Railroad Tycoon 3:

-A few more trains
-more maps
-a campaign
-More resources, and auto managing of which resources are shipped
-Probably available cheaper
-Will run more easily on an older or less powerful computer

Sid Meier's Railroads!

-Spiffier graphic
-Made by Sid Meier, King of Programmers.

----

So far, it looks like the balance is in favor of Railroad Tycoon 3. What am I missing?
Not only is Sid the king of programmers, he is the one who created the original RRT! As such, I feel the trains are more faithful to the originals. I don't think it came out prematurely, as some of the glitches only arise with certain PC specs. And in an interview with one of the game's designers, I believe they said they woud be happy to make a gold edition of the game if Take 2 gives them the OK.
I agree that the major reason Firaxis has been shut-mouthed was because of the Civ expansion pack, which appears to be quite an undertaking! (Moreover, you guys remember how long it was after RRT3 v1.04 beta came out that v1.04 final came? :wink: )

More for Railroads!:
-No need to place water towers, maint. sheds, etc
-Instead of just a group of European engines, you have British trains, German, and French ones
-Don't need to place restaurants, post offices, etc
-4+ tracks mainlines!
-Cool opening video
-Just because...

Wingo

Not a bubble burster

Post by Wingo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Everything above in favor of Railroads is true and accurate.

One should be aware, however, that there is a small percentage of users that have had significant problems with game crashes and freezes even after the patches. These problems appear to be specific to certain and not yet completely identified computer configurations. There are many posts about memory configurations and/or dual core issues in these forums you might research.

That's not to detract from the fact that even though I am still one of those unable to reliably complete any particular scenario, I still do play with the game.

And with the most recent prices being much reduced, it may well be worth the risk.

jayo

Post by jayo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:04 am

I have had such problems, but I recently upgraded my graphics card's driver, and since then crashes have been minimal, so there is hope in sight for it!

karsten

Post by karsten » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:44 am

At my favourite computer games shop, the what - 5 year old? RRT3 is currently selling for a price 50% higher than SMR. I assume Take2 know what they are doing ... :P

Warll

Post by Warll » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:45 pm

On Steam RRT3 is $9.99 and SMR sells for 19.99.

karsten

Post by karsten » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:57 pm

Now SMR is selling in shops here for $10 and RRT3 still for $46! But they had at least 20 copies of SMR on display, so it must be selling quite well. :P

omrail

Post by omrail » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:24 am

ok
now both games you can play online with and operate exactly like each other (except with the graphics & interface)
If its online playing you want i would go for RT3 cause its compatible with Gamespy arcade & more people have it. Bu if youre in the UK.
Buy both cause both of them now are less than £20.

jayo

Post by jayo » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:49 pm

karsten wrote:To me, the graphics of Railroads! wins hands down, and the landscaping is a dream. Most of the game's potential was not realized, however, because the game had to be published prematurely as the company (management) was fighting for its survival at the time (and lost).

So most RR veterans have returned to RRT3.

But I do not think that Firaxis and TakeTwo have abandoned SMR. Two reasons:
A: The game is still selling quite well as a budget title
B: Firaxis can't afford to have the Sid Meier name associated with a total failure.

So I am quietly confident that we will see them back with a patch and new committment, perhaps once they have finished Civ4 Beyond the Sword expansion pack. :P
I agree that they most likely have not abandoned SMRR, for those reasons , but also because of people like us who enjoy it. I agree that there have been other projects that changed their focus. Those who had RRT3 a few years ago remember a similar situation after the v1.03 patch came out, how there was a long time where PopTop was pretty silent before the Coast To Coast Expansion came out. :wink: But that, too, was them being busy. And, with the problems with Windows Vista, companies need to work to get their software compatible, Firaxis included.

And even if we don't see any patches, I'm sure it will still be fresh in one form or other. 8)

jayo

Post by jayo » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:37 pm

I pmed gackbeard last December, when he was still with Firaxis, he had stated that they had addressed almost all the issues with the v1.1 patch, and the others are driver issues. I upgraded my drivers back in April, and I must admit the game's been pretty much crash free. Also, the team has been working on other projects. However, with the issues with some games under Vista, we might see another patch. We'll see... :roll: